GreaseSpot Cafe

Athletes of the Spirit

2beenthere2

quote:
Originally posted by 2beenthere2:

Just had to let u all know that Athletes of the Spirit is on TV...on AMC (AMerican movie classics)

Oh, my bad, it is John Travolta playing the lead in Stayin' Alive. For a minute I thought it was Loy Revolta....... banghead.gif

Oh, that's right the devil copied from BoyLoy wave.gif:wave:-->

Hello there 2beenthere2!!! I had to laugh at the play on words!!!

Athletes of the Spirit was a joke and everyone at the time in twi that knew better knew it was a joke. I remember a bunch of us laughing about how horrible it was. He just made a joke of himself.

AOS...One of my favorite twi subjects...This had to be the epitomization of Martindale, the buffoon, at his best. The sight of him frolicking around in his holy spirit leotards, still evokes uncontrollable laughter in some circles...and as if this wasn't bad enough, it was also a demonstration of his total lack of skill at "working the word". His complete abandonment of all logic, when piecing together his "jockology" doctrine, was only a precursor of things to come...Eve, the lesbian, no mortages, loyalty oaths, etc., etc.

I think Karl Kohler presents the best overview of AOS that I have seen, in his book "The cult that snapped"...a MUST read for all extwiers...

quote:
I think Karl Kohler presents the best overview of AOS that I have seen, in his book "The cult that snapped"...a MUST read for all extwiers...

Groucho -- Karl Kahler wrote that book. icon_smile.gif:)-->

And though I have never seen aos (as a *live* presentation), I have seen segments of tapes of it, and I agree with you about the "lucridity" (is that a real word??) of it all -- both spiritually, as well as otherwise!

David

Do you all remember that Loy-boy accused Sly of stealing his ideas for this movie from their original Athletes ROA production?

Supposedly that was part of the reason Loy wanted to do a full-blown AOS... he stated he wanted to "do it right" and thumb his nose at Hollywood's devil spirits.

Oh my... talk about ego.

LCM also accuse the Adversary of stealing the Rainbow idea...an idea that at one point he claimed was revelation from God. Came to him as a vision. With him dancing around in his tights and a big rainbow in the background, it is a suprise that he was so upset about all the supposed homosexuals that had "infultrated" der Vay. lol

Funny, I also chanced upon that movie last night while surfing around....

I came in on that play they were in, that looks SO MUCH like Athletes of the Spirit. Same structures on the stage, same writhing "devil spirits", the devil lady in red....and LCM said they stole it from US?????

As I recall, LCM was really into this book about how Silvester Stallone got Travolta in shape for his role in Stayin Alive, and Craig was following that same regimen to be in shape for Athletes.

Man oh man, what a chump I was to not even think there was anything weird about all that......

Edited by outandabout

I assume you are talking about the movie Staying Alive and the Show within the movie- Satans Alley. I remeber LCM saying he used it as a basis for Atheletes- I think I rember him showing clips from it at an explanation/ teaching about AOS.

Here's what I recall Craig saying about AOS and Staying Alive:

Sometime in the late 70's / early 80's, TWI did a skit on the ROA stage about AOS. Supposedly, someone from Hollywood was in the audience watching, liked what he saw, and copied it for use in Staying Alive.

Loy got ticked off when Staying Alive came out, said they copied their ROA skit. So Loy copied, verbatim, the Satan's Alley section for AOS.

If anyone can be sued for copyright infringement, it would be TWI by the producers of Staying Alive.

LCM came through San Diego one time around 1984-85. He used a scripture about learning things from "a little bird."

In other words, the devil could transmit info via devil spirits. Thus, the original Athletes from ROA was given to the people who made "Stayin Alive." Therefore, TWI could take what they did in the movie and use it because it originally came from TWI.

Uh huh... of course it all made sense to me at the time because LCM said it.

He also was on his Seed of the Serpent trip. His big example was Steven Spielberg.

Typical. If you don't understand it, or agree with it, call it possessed.

If you REALLY don't understand it, and it gets under your nerves, call it Seed of da Serpent.

Good grief- that IS the legacy of "Atheletes of the Spirit"..

i remember when AOS came out

saying to people if LCM is so concerned about satan ripping off the small AOS dance production for a movie

then why give satan an even bigger production to rip off?

should've seen the dirty looks i got for that one!!!

I was in-rez the year they were working on AOS, and every time Craig came to town (Emporia) he would talk at great length about every aspect of the production... his thought processes, the reasons behind all the costumes and dance moves, blah-dee-blah-blah... I'm sure I have the specifics somewhere in my notes, but off the top of my head, he stated that Sly Stallone was clearly "influenced" because at the time he and his wife were planning the timing of the conception of their child with star charts and the like. Because Sly was "influenced" he was getting insight into how to put "Satan's Alley" together accurately... ruling spirits, underling spirits, the decadence,writhing, etc. Craig said he wanted to do it from a Godly, Biblically accurate perspective. (essentially showing the devil up, not that he put it like that)

Even Wierwille tried to get lcm to calm down over this AOS malarkey...I believe that when old Vic saw the production, he knew that the whole shebang was going down the terlet...

Who remembers the "comic book" that came out at the roa...featuring a cartoon version of lcm in his debbil fighting leotards on the cover? I think it was a coloring book for kids...

I recall thinking at the time..."Sheesch, they've made him a cartoon character like the Green Lantern, or Aquaman..."

What a freaking moron he was...I sit and laugh until my whole body shakes when I think about the AOS production...it's as if lcm was announcing to every twi follower, "Hey, look at me, I'm a freaking moron!"...then he would posture himself like Prince Namor, the Submariner...and suddenly he would leap through the air, moving like a ruptured chimpanzee...his holy spurt leotards demonstrating to one and all...that he WAS the mighty mighty mog...

and at the gathering together, )Christ was absent for that one too), Loy opened his arms and saved us all...a tear forms in the corner of my eye, just thinking about it...Oh gawwwwd, confused.gif