GreaseSpot Cafe

where was the indiana campus?

papajohn

ROME CITY __ Just north of Ft. Wayne

This thread made me curious about what the new owners did with the place... for so long they didn't seem to be doing anything with it.

But apparently for the past two years it has been host to sports camps... soccer and baseball. Looks like they have turned the farmed areas into playing fields, but changed little else. The rooms actually look pretty decent... wonder if they've installed more bathrooms?

http://www.bluechipusa.net/index2.html

Well, there were some rooms that were the size of a closet that barely fit a double sized bed for a couple. Then, there were rooms in Stone Hall (???? I think that's the name) that were massive in comparison. And then a number of in-between sizes. Really depended on the size of the Corps you were in at the time, how the rooms got configured. Some earlier years had lots of single moms who, I've heard, got put in bunk bed situations.

Then by 1986, they had built the townhomes on the back of the property, so we had 4 or 5 families per townhome with a deck in the back, etc. Pretty nice layout with bedrooms, kitchen and a common living room. Can't remember much more than that.

So glad to read that the property is being used for a good group and for kids. It really was a beautiful location and property. Nice the grounds are being used for sports.

J.

Stay tuned. I'll try to dig up a picture of Dave and me in our room at the Indaina Campus, and I'll post it here when I find it. In that particular room, you had to sit on the bed to use the sink (we had to go down the hall to use a bathroom, but there was a sink in our room). However, the sink left zero room for our bed! The whole room was maybe eight feet across. And the most unbelievable part was that there were many many empty rooms at that time. Still we were assigned that tiny space. And we obeyed. Duh. Pat

I had a number of good rooms when we lived there. Our first room was great. It was huge. The kicker was that my parents and baby brother and older brother had to share it. It wasn't as bad for us as it was for my parents lol.

The next block they gto to keep the room with the baby and we moved next door. The two rooms were seperated from everything else by a door. It was private and nice. Most of our accomodations were pretty good while there.

During the AC though it was usually four to a room. That wasn't as bad as the communal showers in the west wing.

I posted a while back that I had stopped by the campus a year or so ago. I remembered it as much bigger. Befoer that I hadn't been there since I was 18 or 19. I even talked to a guy riding around in an old cushman. I acted as thought I didn't know what the place was and he explained the sports retreat concept. Apparently, the women's olympic soccer team was to train there at some point.

IMO it didn't look like the grounds were kept that well. But then again these guys don't have the hords of free corps laborers. Which included us mini and junior corps, I might add. The apple orchard looked like it was on its way out.

I even got my picture in front of the "reserved for the coprs coordinator" parking sign over by the circle.

You can see the new baseball fields if you google map "Rome City" and click the satelite image button.

Lindyhopper, what do you do for a living? You'd make a great hacker/security auditor.

I went to Rome city only once (I forget the occasion -- but it musta been a *big deal*). Never got to see the *living quarters*, but I seem to remember the walkways with all the bible verses (where the statues used to be), and the many religious protestors outside the grounds, holding placards and such.

Docvic must've been in town that day, to get that kind of response from those folks outside the main entrance. So now it is a sports complex, eh???

My question is -- ARE THEY ATHLETES OF THE SPIRIT?!?!? icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D-->

When I was in the 10th corps at Emporia...they announced one morning after breakfast that I was to go to Rome city...I spent 4 months at that place...it was a beautiful facility...I found a place in the attic where I could hide and sleep all afternoon...loved it. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

...The downside was that I had to put up with Bob Moneyhands and the rest of those "family corps" idiots...well, I ended up picking a lot of cherries and eating more food than I did at Emporia...

I remember it was three degrees outside an I decided to go CP3 walking down by the waterfall. My nose hairs stuck together from frost. The water from the springs was about 50 so there was this frozen fog in the air.

Groucho:

You thought those of us in the Family Corps were idiots? We had a few (I'm being nice) people who came from Emporia to the Indiana Campus who thought they were superior to us and the only "real" Corps. The ones who didn't come loaded with attitude actually had fun and learned some things they wouldn't have learned from the Indiana comedian or the spit-spewing forehead.

To each his own, I guess.

Whatever, Groucho. Sheesh

My 2nd year in residence we had THREE corps (8,9,10) because that was the year they switched the program to 2 straight years instead of one in, one in the field and one back in. That year our bedroom was 6 single moms with their teenage sons. That lasted a day. Dot thought we should renew our minds. We talked her out of that silly arrangement. She gave in but reporeved us first.

My wife and I took the Advanced Class in Rome City in July of '86 ( I even got to sing at the sunday

night service of the class ) and we thought it was a beautiful place. I kept a journal while I was taking the class and one of these days I should retype it with comments from today's point of view.

Groucho and Linda...

It was well known in my time (late 80s early 90s) that the "regular" corps being trained at Emporia and Gunnison were being openly trained to think they were FAR better than any corps being trained at Indiana and even at HQ. (Think about who the campus leadership was, and what was going on in twi, and you'll understand much of this attitude.)

I was trained mostly at HQ, but was at Indiana campus (LOVED the place, LOVED the people!!) when a group of corps came in from Emporia to help with the AC that summer. Some were very in-our-face about their opinions, while others admitted they had been taught that they were superior, but now they saw things for themselves they were questioning that attitude.

Yeah... now THAT's likemindedness.

Linda...I just re-read my own post and then read yours...scheesh is right...I apologize for the "family corps idiots" remark...

That's not the way I feel and I can't even explain why I made that crude remark... banghead.gif

I guess I am so used to tossing insults at anything to do with twi that I typed without thinking...not a good thing to do... banghead.gifbanghead.gif

The folks I met in the family corps were fine people with good hearts...I could make insulting remarks about the program itself, even as I could about the regular corps program...but it looks like I've already said enough... banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

....sorry.