GreaseSpot Cafe

Opnions on way corps

unbreakable4god

I was thinking of a friend the other day, when i worked with him he was a big fish in a little pond. He seemed to shine in all he did at work. Fast foward 3 years and he moved on to at least 4 other ponds and has never been a big fish again. He lives still like a big fish but is a small fish and everyone sees it but him.

Why the story? Well i was thinking of way corps people and most seem to think they are big fish but in the real world they cant survive with out all the support or shall i say free labour from all the belivers.( free child care, cleaning of their home and every thing else people do to stay under the radar )Also in the real world if they got in someones face and said all the threats they always seem to have the would get laid out.

I guess my question is after reading alot of peoples posts and opnions about way corp and leadership were they born a-holes or made that way?

I know one guys favorite leader who was always so loving and caring was anothers nightmare and terror.

I believe alot of people went in the wc and were great in their service of Gods people but i do not see them anymore in twi.Did they leave or was the way corp a place to go be a big fish because you know you cant make it in the real world?

Are all the good people gone and the rest that are left just trying to climb the way tree to get a free meal ticket and all the power they can?

Is there any wc left that still care about people and their lives?

Any left that would say your marriage is more important than the twi?

Or i think you should get a house note for $700 instead of paying $975 on a place that is half the size.so you can actually look people in the eye and talk about abundance.How about getting a nice cheap payment on a car that looks good and is not a junk pile with no a/c.

unbreakable...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow great questions, unbreakable....

I dunno, it`s kindda like the question....

Were we crazy to get involved in twi to begin with, or did involvment in twi DRIVE us crazy? lol

I met some great people that honestly came through the program unscathed....many of them posters here.

Personally, I think that the corpes created a scenario where the nastiest most heartless bullies were the ones who succeded and were able to ascend up the hierarchy.

It was either become a hard nosed foot hole or be assigned to some obscure little fellowship far away from hq.

Here in the UK I met some good Corps and some bad ones - some were they same nice people as when they went in and others became a**holes, changing completely.

And the one I knew who came out a reverend was the biggest of the lot.

I really thank God that my application was rejected at the first hurdle.

We saw people change. We saw people we knew in the early eighties who held leadership positions in the nineties---and they were far more arrogant and used anger to get what they wanted.

Kind of reminds me about what happens in a preschool if a teacher has favorite. The favorite child(usually very cute, well behaved, well dressed) gets all kinds of attention and priveledges etc. They begin to expect them. Then, one Ms Wonder Teacher is gone, and I get to sub that class--and I expect Favored Child to follow all the same procedures and rules as the rest of the preschool.

Now we have a problem. Now Favored Child has to get back into the behavior we expect. Now I have to have a chat with Wonder Teacher.

Something like that happened to these folks, something that convinced them they were on a higher, more important plane of existence. Maybe they felt they took all that crap during Corps training, so now they deserve to be the big Dog.

One thing to consider, is that the current waycorps is made up of people who are too stupid to realize they are in a cult. The information concerning twi is out there...and plentiful. I imagine that the "talent pool" that twi has to choose from for their leadership positions is so shallow that if you walked through the middle of it, you wouldn't get the bottom of your shoes wet.

...At least the earlier corps had an excuse...and before lcm ran them off in the late 80,s, there were some fairly bright and talented people there. To answer the question as to whether they were born *******s or did the corps make them that way...

Both...many were natural born *******s and they gravitated to the corps like a junebug to a light bulb...others were decent folks and the waycorps "training" shaped their minds into ******* mode...there were a few, not many, who resisted the ******* orientation process...these folks were usually marginilized, run off...or simply quit.

Unbreakable -- welcome to Greasespot! icon_cool.gifwave.gif:wave:--> icon_cool.gif

The corps I knew, were all decent folks, with the exception of one. Back in the mid-70's, and early 80's seemed to be a more *low-key* time, and the folks I knew then (who were corps), weren't jerks at all.

The one I know (personally) who was so tyrranical, accusatory, hateful, domineering, dictatorial, (and all those other *good* adjectives to describe his reign of terror), was here in my area in '86, just about the time POP hit the fan.

Given this guy's personality -- I would say that he was born this way, and he would have ended up like this in life --- with or without, the way corps *training*. He (I think) is a region leader now (North-East), and the name Ch*is Gr@nlich might ring a bell with you.

There were good ones back in the earlier days. Very helpful, and supportive, and took their position seriously. And there are probably some these days too. Unfortunately -- twi lays down *the law*, and the good ones usually end up out on the street. icon_frown.gif:(-->

David

I think if you went in egotistical, cold, power hungry, manipulative, etc, you learned how to be more effective in those things.

People with a real heart for God learned how to be better at serving.

Those on the fence probably got pushed into the first category.

As many know I have way corps family and "alumni" family. They are all still truly genuine people, at least from what I see. They still seem to be the same old family they always were (for the most part). The corps folks really think they are making some sort of a difference. I would imagine that if they are anything like what they are when they're around me that people probably respect them and like them. Then again, there may be people who think they are total a$$h*les. I don't know.

I have known some decnt corps and I have known some evil ones. The LC in my last area was nice on the surface, but his true colors were shown after I decided to leave. Now he can't look at me without the hate seeping thru that plastic smile, if I get a smile at all.

Growing up in a corps family, I have seen that most wanted to make a change and were good people. When they went full time a while back many of the good ones were weeded out, leaving most of the LCM wanta be's to help destroy people's lives in the promised land.

As far as being smart, well I don't think it has anything to do with that. Many smart people joined the TWI, many left and went to a near identicle off shoot, then there are those of us who look at any "believer" and scratch our heads, but intelligence is not, or is not always a factor. There are many variables that affect each individual person and are not the same from one to another.

Dates and times. I was a lowly advanced class grad working at HQ '80-'81 and the vast majority of the corps I worked with were good, decent people. They treated me well and from what I could see, lived righteous lives. Of course, none of the single females would go out with me though (:

After I came home I was shocked at what I found.

I also had some good & bad with way corps. Funny, the ones who seemed to care most about ppl managed to either get bounced to alumni status or were run out in the late 80's when lcm & his goon squad started on their rounds of witch hunts. Some were so upset about losing WC status, they just kinda vanished. When the smoke cleared, you had the idiot brigade in charge. Ironically, some of the wives, then & now, were even more arrogant than the husbands.Guess they wanted to be like Leona Helmsley & lord it over the poor peons who provided all that free labor for them. Oh well..... icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

I met a few good ones and few that were evil. Generally, just incompetent. Couldn't do much in the real world so they lived in Way Fantasy Camp where micro-managing was everything. Anyone want to buy a WHOLE LOT of unused weekly planning sheets? wink2.gif;)-->

(My time was mostly TWI-2)

If you were able to get a good job before being way corps, you could do the same after way corps. I know I was able to get a great job, then was full time, then got dropped and was able to get a better job after being dropped. Most of the corps that had to look for a job after the full time era ended could not get one, because they underpriced themselves due to their way brain thinking (live on a need bases really screwed their pricing therefore no one wanted to hire a person that sould be asking 50K but only asks 32K), or they did not have the talent needed on the field. Most didn't know how to sell themselves. The market has been at a jobless rate that allows anyone to demand and get pretty much any position they want, yet you still have people settling for jobs with UPS or gym instructors when they could be running major corporations (opps).

Ego is a very interesting arbitrator. It seizes the oppertunity to place itself in the position of power and control, to reach its ultimate crave...to have more. I believe there where those who started out with good intentions to serve BUT got caught up in the competitive qwest for more. To ego...MORE makes one feel better about self. We all know just how fragil the ego can be. Agos left to its own energy result in what TWI was and continues to be.

When you have an organization that is ego based then in the lives of the particapants its "Lord of the Flies". You can't help but wonder if the possibilities for a ego free community could ever exist. I think not. There will always be somone in the lot whose craving for more will over step the boundreies of others.

I was pretty young back when I went into the Corps. I was 22. I loved alot of people as very good friends, and on the field, people liked and loved me. I was never a very good "leader" because I was not very organized at all. Not "LL" material ya know. But we had a lot of fun on the field. I was always pretty "happy go lucky" and could not stand those who wanted to be "lords over God's heritage", and I came into a good number of deep conflicts with those types. I still love people, and still find myself wanting to help people who are having tough times in life.

I am not involved with any splinter group, although, my best friends in this town are people from the old Twig I started here in Juneau in 1982. This particular married couple were in fact my Best Man, and my wife's Matron of Honor at our wedding here back in 1983. We still talk about God and Jesus Christ, and once in awhile we'll have an impromptu fellowship with singing, prayer, manifestations, and a teaching from the Bible. And we get teary eyed and blessed when we do so.

Just this past Saturday, my Best Man and I went out halibut fishing, and we limited out, endured some rough seas, tossed back a few beers, and really killed some fish! The biggest one was a little one though, at only 27 pounds. He got a sixty pounder the week before. Mmm mmm mmm mmm! Nothing like beer battered halibut or "Halibut Alyeska"!