GreaseSpot Cafe

Best Halloween Movies to rent?

RottieGrrrl

If you want to see something that will really creep you out, try to find a copy of the uncut version of Tod Browning's "Freaks."

While not technically a horror movie, I guess, it is disturbingly weird. Made in 1932 with real carnival "freaks," it has never been officially released on video and the only copies out there are bootlegs. It's surprising this movie ever got made 70 years ago.

Seeing The Living Torso is enough to give you the creeps.

I saw Freaks years ago, don't remember much, I do remember the torso though. Seeing it on windowpane would be an experience.

I never read Lovecrafts stories, I always mean too. I saw those 2 movies based on his works, Re-Animator, and From Beyond.

Just got done watching "The Ring" btw. Creepy movie! Dark, moody, good Halloween movie. I just love happy endings like that too.

ANIsleepingZombie2C.gif

"The Frighteners" - I actually saw this for the first time the other evening. Very entertaining. Directed by Peter Jackson ("Lord of the Rings")

"Dagon" - an adaptation of a couple H.P. Lovecraft stories. By the director of "Re-animator".

"The Wicker Man" - Christian cop (star of the "Equalizer" series) investigates missing person case on a pagan island.

"Horror Hotel" - starring Christopher Lee.

"Ghost Story" - Starring Fred Astaire, and a bunch of other old-now-deceased actors. Very well done.

"House on Haunted Hill" - the original version with Vincent Price, without whom Halloween would not be complete.

Any of the classic Universal flicks, "Frankenstein", "Dracula" and "Wolfman".

"The Evil Dead" - tacky creepy chills from the days of claymation. Its amazing how low budgets seem to make movies freakier.

And speaking of window panes. "Little Shop of Horrors" was actually a frightening trip. icon_wink.gif;)-->

And of course, my favorite haunted house ghost story was the one that was not in a movie (I've told the story here before). Too bad the house was flattened. It'd make a fitting place for one freaky halloween slumber party.

Oh yeah, I just saw the movie version of the novel "Dreamcatcher" by Stephen King. Will make you scared of toilets.

[This message was edited by sirguessalot on October 31, 2003 at 17:48.]

I just rented and watched "Dream Catcher" was surprisingly scarey and good. With Morgan Freeman and Jason Lee how can you go wrong?

Seth

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." ~~~ Herbert Spencer