GreaseSpot Cafe

SPOILER THREAD Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince SPOILER THREAD

laleo

rascal...that is in the end of the fifteenth chapter in HPatSS

specifically, the paragraph that begins,

"It is," Firenze agreed, "unless all you need is to stay alive long enough to drink something else...."

Unicorn blood only keeps you alive for a bit of time

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I get it a little, but I think I need more explanation.

Let's say for theory's sake that Harry Avada Kedavra's Voldemort. What would the horcruxes do for that?

Are you saying that all horcruxes would continue to be horcruxes, or that one would be destroyed -- or, rather, used -- to "replenish" Voldemort's "soul supply," if you will.

If one did, which one and why?

Or, if all horcruxes continued to be horcruxes, what would that do for Voldemort?

OR, are you saying that the one-seventh of Voldemort's soul that is in his body simply cannot be completely destroyed as long as the other horcruxes exist, which would account for his re-births?

And if it is the case that the seventh of Voldemort's soul that is in his body cannot be destroyed -- why? The six horcruxes can be destroyed...what makes them different?

I know you don't have all the definite answers (presumably); I'm just asking for opinions here.

quote:
Originally posted by padfoot806:

Okay, I get it a little, but I think I need more explanation.

Let's say for theory's sake that Harry Avada Kedavra's Voldemort. What would the horcruxes do for that?

The same thing they did the last time Voldy was hit with the AK-at Godric's Hollow.

They would keep his essence from being extinguished like a candle.

The AK would then blow up his body instead, same as last time.

Then, the horcruxes would keep him around "less than the meanest ghost" until he could

work something out again.

quote:

Are you saying that all horcruxes would continue to be horcruxes, or that one would be destroyed -- or, rather, used -- to "replenish" Voldemort's "soul supply," if you will.

If one did, which one and why?

Or, if all horcruxes continued to be horcruxes, what would that do for Voldemort?

OR, are you saying that the one-seventh of Voldemort's soul that is in his body simply cannot be completely destroyed as long as the other horcruxes exist, which would account for his re-births?

Bingo.

quote:

And if it is the case that the seventh of Voldemort's soul that is in his body cannot be destroyed -- why? The six horcruxes can be destroyed...what makes them different?

A horcrux is specifically designed to do one thing: to preserve the lifeforce of the

person of which they contain part. A horcrux is SPECIFICALLY to anchor the part that's

in the person. So, "normally", one horcrux makes a person "indestructible"-as long as

the horcrux is intact. That's why a horcrux is hidden away in a "safe" location.

(Hm. Safe. I bet the cup is in Gringott's.)

So, all 6 are supposed to preserve Voldy's "life", which is the 7th.

The weakness that should exist is in his self-the 7th. He's got a lot less "self" than

even a horcrux user is supposed to have. This should mean his magic is weaker and so on.

Yes, this also means that, if the horcruxes are holding his magic intact by existing

(his soul still having all the pieces SOMEWHERE), then each destroyed horcrux should

remove 1/7 of his original strength.

quote:

I know you don't have all the definite answers (presumably); I'm just asking for opinions here.

Now, on to the unicorn blood and the SS/PS.

Voldy's main purpose until the end of Book 4 was to become solid again.

Anything else was a secondary consideration.

The purpose of obtaining a PS/SS would be so he could generate a physical body again ASAP.

Since Voldy burned out all animals he possessed, it's likely he would have burned out

Quirrell eventually also. So, I think the purpose of the unicorn blood was to keep

QUIRRELL alive as well-so Voldy could use him. Voldy received a secondary benefit from it

that I can't determine from here. I think we've run up against the limits of what

JKR wrote on the subject, and anything after this is in the realm of fanfiction.