GreaseSpot Cafe

Fox Almost Sues Itself

Pirate1974

NEW YORK (AFP) - Rupert Murdoch's Fox News Channel threatened to sue the makers of "The Simpsons" over a parody of the channel's right-wing political stance, the creator of the hit US television show has claimed.

In an interview this week with National Public Radio, Matt Groening recalled how the news channel had considered legal action, despite the fact that "The Simpsons" is broadcast on sister network, Fox Entertainment.

According to Groening, Fox took exception to a Simpsons' version of the Fox News rolling news ticker which parodied the channel's anti-Democrat stance, with headlines like "Do Democrats Cause Cancer?"

"Fox fought against it and said they would sue the show," Groening said.

"We called their bluff because we didn't think Rupert Murdoch would pay for Fox to sue itself. So, we got away with it."

While the lawsuit never materialized, Groening said some action was taken.

"Now Fox has a new rule that we can't do those little fake news crawls on the bottom of the screen in a cartoon because it might confuse the viewers into thinking it's real news," he said.

Fox viewers might think news items like "JFK posthumously joins Republican Party" or "Study shows 92% of Democrats are gay" are real???

D'oh!!

Pirate,

No doubt some will think that this bit of news will be used by 'unprincipled' people to 'slime' Fox as being as ridiculous as Al Franken portrays it. I mean, how could it be anything else?

icon_razz.gif:P--> icon_wink.gif;)-->

I always wondered if any of the lawyers who tried suing Al Franken in their last lawsuit ever worked for Apple when it tried suing Micro$oft in that 'windows look and feel' suit 10-13 years ago. Seems to me that look and feel lawsuits don't go very far.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

Garth,

your comment implies that Franken was not truthful in his latest book. On what do you base such a ridiculous claim?

Have you read the book? Are you intimately familiar with Fox News to the extent that you can show specific things in Franken's book that are untruthful?

If not, then why make such a silly claim?

Rocky,

The first part of what I posted was dripping with satire. The tongue-in-cheek kind. With terms that have been used by certain posters before.

icon_wink.gif;)-->

The 2nd was a more open but still biting observation re: Fox's lawyers and any previous employment with Apple.

Damn, I hate explaining the punch line! Takes the fun out of it. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com