GreaseSpot Cafe

So what is the fascination with Harry?

WhiteDove

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a card carrying witch/wiccan, IMHO, Harry Potter isn't the real magical thing and J. K. Rawling has crafted some fine characters that have heart, a sense of adventure, and loyalty.

The devil doesn't make us screw up, fear or rationalation in the moment makes us do things that cause harm. Us being defined as human beings.

Wiccans make major contributions to humanity and are very concerned about taking care of the ONE GOD's creations (earth).

Come what may, I've said my belief on this subject.

Demonstrate Love with every action, everyday.

Thanks for your post!

And I wont flame you for your beliefs either nor question your right to post because I may disagree. In fact I do agree somewhat with you. You are right it is not the real thing but it can and does often lead people to seek to find the real thing. Which if that is what you are wanting is all good. "I" however am not promoting that road.

Dove twi leaders used scriptural justification to enforce EVERY one of the acts I mentioned....

You have people accomplishing great evil utilizing scriptures as their means to accomplish manipulation and destruction.

You have rk rowling writing entertaining stories that children the world over enjoy.

Twi with scriptural manipulation verses rowling with her harry potter stories...hmmmmm

You tell me who is guilty of more destruction...physically mentally AND spiritually, hands down, it is those who piouslly espoused the scriptures ....

Give me the fantasy world of rowling over the hypocracy of twi`s brand of christianity any day.

Effective this date 7/20/05

Due to the fact that common English seems to be lost on some postings and due to the need not to cover the same points over and over the following will be in effect for all postings by the poster known as Whitedove Henceforth:

1. American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language will be the reference for all words. If you don't like the meaning take it up with them. Words have meanings and that is the way it is.

2. From this day forward the word "I" as per rule1 will mean the first person singular pronoun in the nominative case. Used to represent the speaker or writer.(that’s me) . When I use the word I it will refer to me the poster known as Whitedove and or my opinions or views. Anyone substituting any other word such as us, them, us, anybody, you, or any other word does so of their own choice and thereby changes the intent and context of the writer. It will constitute a inaccurate representation of the writer and you will be referred back to rule 1. To Recap "I" means "I” Any Questions?

3. Not everyone on this site is a Christian.....News Flash..... I knew that, not a problem for me. But..... I am and just as they will post from their set of values and or beliefs so will I. My point of view will at least attempt to be Biblical based . MY opinions will no doubt be reflective of scripture at least I hope so.

4. I reserve the right to update and add to the following rules as pertaining to all my postings.

Rascal you are not making a fair comparison you are using not the Bible but rather what some people twisted it to say and then comparing it with fantasy books as if it

were true scripture. It is not what the Bible says as you indicated no more than if I misdirected your words and passed them off as yours. You can't take a distorted version and pass it off as the real thing.

You said and I Quote:The most destructive doctrine ever foisted off on people came from the scriptures dove....

Forced sex, forced abortion, forced divorces, forced abandonment of ones children...justification of adultery, justification of the destroying of ones brother, justification of covering felonies.....

Show me just one scripture from a Bible that supports any of these ideas sorry it is not in there. Get out a concordance and look up each word you will see that it is simply not in the Bible as you said.

Good God, All this over a story????????

I remember in the corps. A movie came out and the few nights we were able to go out on the town. JAL said, "if your going to a movie sit back and enjoy it. You don't have to pick it apart spiritually." Then they went to a Royals game it was the playoffs and you should have heard that whole way corps staff say how many devil spirits were at KC that night. It was pityful.

I go along with the first If you like it, great. If you don't great. IMHO there were some good ole devil spirits flying around during Athletes of the Spirit. That whole thing was just wierd. The whole time lcm banging the hell out of miss satan.

WhiteDove,

In answer to your original question ("So what is the facination with Harry?"), IMO the "fascination" is more of an identification, not with Harry's sorcery but with his humanity. Harry is kind, and resilient, and witty, and occasionally maddening. He has failures and triumphs. I think the reason why these stories have gained popularity is because the themes address something very fundamental (and common) in people; struggles most anyone can relate to.

What you seem to object to most is the means JKR uses to illustrate her theme -- the spells and the magic and all the supernatural pyrotechnics -- and I do think you have a point when you mentioned earlier that some children aren't as well-grounded as others, and may be more susceptible to suggestion, especially if they only have a superficial introduction to the story. For those kids, who dream of violent power, whatever themes JKR is exploring might be over their heads. What they're looking for is immediacy and validation of their own vengeful thoughts and intents. I don't know that the Harry Potter series would aid them more so than other types of media, especially considering who Harry is, as a character. Really, though, if they got to know Harry, they might learn more appropriate ways of expressing (or, rather, restraining) their own aggressiveness.

You're as entitled to dislike something as others are to like it. And you're also entitled to say so, whether yours is the most popular opinion here or not. However, I wonder if you aren't overstating the danger. Are you basing your concerns on the actual books (in other words, have you read them?), or on what you've read/heard about them?

You won't speak for the decisions anyone else makes, but you will not contribute to the dumbing down of society. You won't speak for anyone else on this, but you won't participate in this devilish deception. You won't speak for anyone else on this, but you won't surrender your responsibility to be vigilant. You won't speak for anyone else, but you won't reject scripture.

In saying each of those things, you are saying that those Christians who disagree with you are contributing to the dumbing down of society, participating in a devilish deception, surrendering their responsibility to be vigilant, and rejecting scripture. If that's what you think, fine, stand by it. But you can't argue that it's not what you're saying, because it is precisely what you're saying.

Sorry Raf but that is not what I said

I can only speak for myself. Thats the truth I don't have the ability to speak for others or the desire. I can be accountable for my own choice to be vigilant no one else's. In short I said "This is what I am doing" what everyone else is doing is their choice and God can be the judge as to what their intentions are or were. That said we do have scripture as a referance point and offen it is pretty clear if ones actions are in agreement.

quote:
I agree but if you question my right to state my opinion and or misrepresent scripture then this is the result.

Ahem! Speaking of common English being lost on some folks wink2.gif;)-->, ... I don't believe that they were questioning your right to state your opinion, but rather the logic and reasoning of your objections/points re: Harry Potter books. And even if some folks have taken umbrage to some of your points, that still doesn't qualify the said umbrage as denying your right to speak.

And besides, ... how can they really actually *stop* you from posting, hmmmm? ...

... Cast a Harry Potter spell on your keyboard? icon_eek.gif

icon_smile.gif:)-->

People are still debating Harry Potter books??

Actually, I discourage Andrew from reading it, tho I don't tell him he can't. It's not because of the content, but because books written since 1990 or so have a much, much lower literacy level (Raf might refer to this as "fog level"). The older kids literature is, the more sophisticated the writing, style and vocabulary.

He's been reading H.G. Wells, Jack London, Poe and, just so he can feel cool and have something to talk to his buds about, an occassional H.P. Lovecraft story. I recently bought him a biography of William Wallace (remember the movie "Braveheart"?) by G.A. Henty. It was written in the 1890s, I think, and is tedious reading by anyones standards, tho he's doing okay with it.

I, personally, think kids should be allowed to read freely (within the parameters of common decency) with lots and lots of parental oversight.

I seem to recall...back in the 80's and early 90's...for all the Way rhetoric about secular vs. Way literature...there sure were a lot of Wayfers with their noses stuck in Stephen King books.

Hee Hee I can't help following this thread and thinking of my daughters love of Baily School Kids Series.

Not in the same "class" as JK's books by any stretch, but she liked 'em because they are about 'normal kids' as she calls it.

That works so well for us because in this house, one is never allowed to think themself better than others. The Bailey kids fit that.

I'd love for her to join my love of Koontz, Saul, King and Kellerman. But all but Kellerman would add to an already large dream problem.

I dig it when parents and kids can work together to read material.

My child has also written a book about an abandoned egg. Like the Bailey kids, the egg has a really hard row to hoe but finds his way out of that life because of hard work.

I welcomed her to read JK's books and she gave it a shot, but just couldn't get into it.

Parents and kids talking about books together,reading together......dig it!

Now, Captain Underpants.......that's funny.

wave.gif:wave:--> Andrew

Garth Ahem.

Quote Belle:

It's okay if you don't like Harry, but I wonder what the purpose was for your comments. I mean, if you don't like Harry then why even bother?

Translation :Please explain to us why you think you should post about this. Becaause my opinion didn't agree with the crowd then I suppose I should explain my reasons or not even bother.Oh I get the English.

PS So did all the people who emailed me.

Whitedove,

Read the question again. Nowhere is the question stating that you have no right to speak your opinion, but questioning the purpose for and why you took the time to post your comments since you don't like Harry.

It might look similar to denying you the right to post at first glance, but upon a more detailed look, its different. It gets to the reason why, rather than the simple request to stop posting.

See?

I think it's perfectly fine to discuss why someone doesn't like Harry Potter books, and I don't even think we needed a separate thread to do it. My only contention is that reading and enjoying Harry Potter does not make someone a less-vigilant Christian ignoring Biblical edicts while contributing to the dumbing down of society.

quote:
Lots of things teach people how to read should we give playboys to kids because it teaches them how to read. Does that make it ok ?
Yes. Well maybe not kids but you get my drift.

Playboys are good reading material. Lot's of goodies there.

Have you read one lately?

quote:
Nope.

And I won't read it either. But I will read Harry Potter because, silly me, I can see the difference.

Hey Raffy, try it you might like it. All ya gotta do is do what I do, when you come to the pictures, cover your eyes.

17_1_12v.gif

Well, now that you ask..

"Forced sex"

Deuteronomy 22:

28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel’s father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

Where does the woman have any say in this, AT ALL? Can't imagine what it would be like to be married to the jerk that "laid hold on her"..

"abandonment of one's children.."

Deuteronomy 21:

18 ¶ If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

I would call that abandonment, to the extreme.

"justification of the destroying of ones brother"

Deuteromy 6:

6 ¶ If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;

7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;

8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

Not that I necessarily approve of worshipping other gods, but there it is..

Forced abortion, justification of covering up felonies, forced divorces-

I think the other themes were contrived out of the bible by evil men.

But back to the subject at hand. Myself, I would offer no opinion or criticism about anything Harry Potter. I never read the books, I never saw the movies.

I could not give an honest assessment, nor would I by default agree with one that had any particular religious axe to grind.

No fascination with Harry for me.

WD, you STILL haven't answered Rascal and my questions. Why?

Garth does have it correct. I did not in any way insinuate or otherwise discount your right to post your opinion. I merely wonder WHY and what you hoped to achieve by doing so. Answering my question would actually require that you post more on your opinion, not less. icon_smile.gif:)-->

AND, once again, just because you use the word "I" in voicing your opinion, you ARE saying that those who disagree with you are apathetic, non-vigilant people responsible for promoting the dumbing down of America.

OM, probably one of the best interviews I ever read was in Playboy. They interviewed Stephen Hawking about his development of the Big Bang Theory and it was fascinating. I even gave a copy to my Astronomy professor. (I wonder if that had something to do with the A I got in that class.......) wink2.gif;)--> OR, maybe it was just another contribution to the dumbing down of America..... icon_cool.gif

Ron and Shellon, I think it's absolutely wonderful that you two spend so much time with your children and that you obviously talk about what both of you are reading and take an active interest in what your children are interested in. I'm not surprised given what great parents you are.

I tried to find a couple of kids to go to the HP movies with so I didn't have to go alone. If I had had the opportunity to dress up and hang out at the bookstore for the book debuts, I would have done that too. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I remember reading all the Hardy Boy series because my Daddy had the whole collection from when he was a boy and when I would read one I got one on one time with him to discuss it. He also remembered very well all the books, poems and stories he read in school. I think those discussions were the primary reason I loved literature and reading so much. It was wonderful sharing time and attention from Daddy. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Gee Garth

Like Eve I think you changed a word I don't believe I said denying I said question my right

One look at the title of this thread will tell you that it is not for Harry Potter fans BUT I have never questioned peoples reasons to post here. They do because the can and or wish to.

Subtle intimidation and calling into question peoples motives and reasons and generally makeing people feel they have no right to speak is a very effective tactic to silence people. It was is used in the Way to perfection. Sadly it also has a place here. That is why we no longer see so many fonts posting here anymore.

Just last night I spoke to someone whose poster name you would recognize immediatly and they expressed the same sentiment to me they were tired of having their Christian views called into question at every turn from the hound pack. So they left,their choice but our loss. As for me I was not moved by their tactic in the Way nor am I here.