GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Builders

JeffMedic

Gawd, it's been so long, and my memories of Wayworld are fast fading (one of the good things about getting older) but I think Buddy Curry went to Georgia (?). I know a bunch of the cabinet shop guys went to Georgia after the meltdown of Wayworld in the spring of '89, and I thought they (Dana King, Payton, and some others) were talking about meeting up with Buddy in GA.

One of the Schaffers owned a home outside of Gunnison in the late '80s, but I've clean-forgotten his first name.

Yeah, I've been a BIG help haven't I? Chalk up another victory for CRS disease.

geo.

So George, am i correct in reading that those you heard were meeting Buddy in Ga. had all seperated themselves from "the way"?

I can hardly see Buddy staying untill the late 80's. But i guess he finished the residence housing on the North side huh?

I KNEW it was time to go for me when they told me my wife could either work...(no she could not spend the summer with the kids while they were out of school) or i could find a new job."..and i don't mean sometime, i mean monday morning!" WE HAD JUST STOPPED INTO international for a little fellowship ON THE WEEKEND, while out for a mc ride

That was my old business partner, Paul Brooks. Said it was Terry Baders decision and final!

i said "oh..., no problem, if thats the way it is, she'll work"

I then went in to see Fred? in acct/payroll, Told him i was due a vacation, got my weeks pay for expenses. Picked up a u haul, loaded and left.

That was either 85 or 86, but after Dr died anyway.

Jeff.....I do know Bill and Debbie Schaffer are living in Ga.....you can email me for more info.....they are out and doing fine raising some wonderful children.....their oldest daughter just graduated from high school.

His brother Bob was living in Ga also last I heard from him.

Last account I heard of Paul ..he was in Florida......but that was some time ago.

I was once a part of that illustrious group also and would love to hear from some of them too.

Jeff,

I never knew Buddy myself (I didn't get into the WayWreckers scene until long past the time anyone with a lick of sense would have - '87). I think he left the year before I came on staff. Me and half a dozen or so other lackies finished the housing in the "unit park" and basically farted around the rest of the time. It was a real joke.

The cabinet shop crew really lived in their own little world to a great extent and when their operation was being drastically cut back they didn't show much (if any) allegeiance to TWI (with one notable exception).

We were running the "leadership" tapes or whatever that crap was called from Gartmore and they was lots of murmurring and outright dissention 'round the cabinet shop and, while I don't know exactly what the boys planned on doing, I don't think it involved anything with Wayworld.

geo.

[This message was edited by George Aar on December 02, 2002 at 23:57.]

• 3 weeks later...

Being another one of the former Builders, I am not going to be much help either.

I know that Monty Ray Hobbs and his wife were likely going to jail in AR for tax evasion.

I know where Steve Webb is and a couple others, but without their OK I can't really tell.

I was in the WB from 1978 to 1981. I figured it was time to move on when they decided it was time to build a cathedral. I stuck with TWI until the big blowup and sort of wanted to stay in but am very glad that circumstances sort of worked to keep me a thousand miles away from the place while my heart caught to up to what my head was telling me.

And I am in no way surprised that Paul Brooks is still in. I worked on the concrete crew with him and Christopher for a period.

I had no set crew...I had just enough experience doing everything that I was always being moved from crew to crew.

I probably know you....I was way builders 1979-80 at hq.....spent several months working w/ Christopher & Paul Brooks, Steve Webb,Buddy,Larry Scharfenburger(sp)also played on the way softball team that summer...I remember a bunch of us recoating the cabinet shop roof that year....took about five tries before it stopped leaking......Christopher and I would ride around in a big,ugly,four-door Dodge Power Wagon.....Anyway,have lost touch w/ all those guys........

Christopher was actually living about 5 miles from me...... can't find him last i looked however. Chris was married again and seemed as happy as Chris ever is! Chris did tell me that Paul had instructed him NOT to attempt to contact him for at least 10 years.......

THAT sounds like Paul..

Paul was my best friend prior to the way. We were also business partners. Chris, Paul and i all lived together, in a house in annapolis, md.

Chris went into the 6th corp, i into the 7th and Paul into the 8th.....

I must know you if you floated between crews as i was on the concrete crew.

take care

Jeff

I think I spent half of my interim year working on the concrete crew.....Paul was on his last year in residence then so he only worked part-time w/us....I remember working on the spillway,the water treatment plant pad(got concrete in my boots and got an infection},sidewalks at the corps chalet,...I have to say,that was one of my most enjoyable years in the way....I loved working hard all day and playing at night....I've been in construction ever since.....Christopher kind of took me under his wing that year, I wish them well....If Jeff Medic is your real name it doesn't quite ring a bell,but we would have had to worked together if you were their 79-80....

No, i would say i got back to hq about the time they began pouring the first floor of the auditorium. i left they way altogether my 2nd year of the 7th corps.So i did a bunch of construction in emporia my first 4 months in residence. I'm glad i helped build the auditorium. I met a bunch of guys that were fun, wonderful and excellent tradesman.

I do however feel as Christopher depicted Dr.s feelings as revealed to Christopher one day as Dr sat on his golf cart....somthing to the effect of "if i could i would (or ought to) get on that dozer and push the entire thing over" "this place is just turning into a religious order"

That was the year i recognized that craig was so far off the word that he was simply spouting .... to empower himself.

That's when i began praying for the fakes downfall. (HEY craig!, YOU STILL THINK WE'RE (JUST) the "prairie boys". If you're reading this THAT is God's power, booted you out of his seat (ya, i know you think you deserved his!)and onto the devils footstool, you arrogant oakie bumkin.

Christopher will always be ok. He was God's gift to me that year we completed the auditorium. We had sooooo much fun. Paul was and probably always will be a closed minded, "leadership is always right" kinda guy (even when they are WRONG, off the word and screwing you). i wish he would wake up, 48 is a bit old to be doing the crap their asking him to do AND to be believing your following God's "man". I do wish him well.

Jeff

Hey Simon.....I think I have Larry and Lori Sharfpenbergers addy somewhere......I'll look for it and get back with ya...they were in Colorado and I think they are still there. And I too may be spelling their names wrong. He and I were the ones who built the deck overlooking the pond beside the OSC building. I spent alot of time fellowshipping with him on my interim year at Hq.

When I was first on way builders,I was his "grunt"...we didn't seem to hit it off at all...I was always breaking his tools,or ruining good materials,etc....then it started snowing...at every chance the way builders would pummel eachother w/ snowballs....soon,he and I were acting like the pink panther and his Chinese butler....We'd hide on roofs,behind cars, just to sneak in a surprise attack on eachother,......Anyway,it was a great way to release the tension between us,because after that we became real good friends......

SimonZ

I got a great laugh reading about you and Larry L throwing snowballs at eachother and playing pink panther. Too Funny!

I too was in Way Builders for awhile. I worked on Brad Hinch's carpentry crew out at Gunnison. I got to sheetrock all of the cabins along the river. It was a neat challenge, scribing my sheetrock into the log walls. That was definitely one of the highlights of my time in The Way. I also had a real good time working around Andy McSherry. He was one of the finest guys I knew. Tough frickin guy that Andy. Once he and I were on the deck of a flatbed log truck while the Corps at Dr. W's "field marshall" style instructions were throwing cottonwood logs up to me and Andy to stack, and one guy on the ground carelessly dropped a frickin log right on my foot after I had already told him to "hold it till we placed the previous log". Well, the guy just dropped his end of the log right on my foot and I let out a yelp and said; "hey you stupid ....! You mighta busted my foot! I told ya to wait!" Well, the guy turned out to be Tom Jenkinsion our corps coordinator (I was still in rez), and Tom says real stern like; "Do you know who you are talking to?!" And before I could respond, Andy says; "And do you know whose foot you just dropped a log on?! You just dropped a log on my brother _____ ___'s foot! So just shut the hell up and watch what you are doing and go back to work!" And then he asked me if I was ok. I was hurt but not injured, and meanwhile Dr. Wierwille was watching from nearby and chuckling, and then gave me and Andy the "thumbs up" and Tom saw it too. Tom never said a word to me either. It was a cool moment, and I have always thought of Andy as one of the greatest ever since. Anybody know of his where and whatabouts?

quote:
Originally posted by Buck:

SimonZ

"hey you stupid ....! You mighta busted my foot! I told ya to wait!" Well, the guy turned out to be Tom Jenkinsion our corps coordinator (I was still in rez), and Tom says real stern like; "Do you know who you are talking to?!" And before I could respond, Andy says; "And do you know whose foot you just dropped a log on?! You just dropped a log on my brother _____ ___'s foot! So just shut the hell up and watch what you are doing and go back to work!" And then he asked me if I was ok. I was hurt but not injured, and meanwhile Dr. Wierwille was watching from nearby and chuckling, and then gave me and Andy the "thumbs up" and Tom saw it too. Tom never said a word to me either. It was a cool moment, and I have always thought of Andy as one of the greatest ever since. Anybody know of his where and whatabouts?

this is the stuff I love to hear. The guts and heart of REAL men (AND WOMAN). Brotherhood and standing up for oneanother regardless of whom we must wihtstand.

God Bless 'em all!!

Buck........I too would like to meet Andy McSherry again someday. He and I did alot of plumbing together at Gunnison. We never really hit it off to great at first. But the more I listened to him and watched him work....I began to realize that he had a heart of gold. I did really learn to respect him and his love of God.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't checked in on this page in awhile...

SimonZ, we had to have known each other because I was there and working on some of those same projects...

In those days we had those CB handles when we were in the trucks...I remember that Larry Scharfenberger went by "Golden Eagle,"...and Richard Kipp went by "Squeakin Deacon."

I went by the name of "Crawfish." Buddy Curry and I shared a common home state and similar physiques. I am still 6'4" tall, but in those days had a much smaller profile at about 240 pounds.

I don't remember Pooter either...and Monty Ray was "Mountain Man."

79-80 would have made you interim 9th corps, if my figuring is correct...I can't remember the name, but I think I am beginning to get a face for you.

Ok, let's see...that year my position (if you could call it that) was primarily trash pickup in the AM...in the afternoons I did building building maintenance with Gary S.(6th corps)and Ron E.(8th corps). I was one of those increasingly rare critters known as non-corps staff.

Initials are L.W.