GreaseSpot Cafe

The Aristocrats

satori001

The Aristocrats is an inside "joke" among comedians. It is a practical joke, using the form of a standard joke as its vehicle. The infinitely, inevitably mutable text of the joke is not intended to be funny. The "humor" is in the victimization and subsequent reaction of the audience.

Like any practical joke, the spirit can be light-hearted or black-hearted, depending on the practical joker. This movie presents 100 or so practical jokers.

I think the movie will probably be the same, a practical joke on its audience, and the suckers who pay the admission (possibly myself included) will be its hapless foils, especially those who leave convinced it was "absolutely brilliant" and tell all their friends to see it.

A friend of mine is a member of the Friars Club. He knows some of the comics in the movie. He said if I wanted to see it, he'd go along. I dunno. I'm tempted.

Raf, if you want to join us, give me a call next time you're in Dubuque. We'll meet you there.

Edited by satori001

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting that the producers opted not to submit this to the ratings board, so it's being released as "NR." Obviously they knew it would be slapped with the dreaded "NC-17," which would mean a lot of theaters wouldn't touch it.

There's no sex, nudity, violence, drugs or any of that fun stuff, just words, although probably the nastiest ever in any film. Amazing that you can put almost any amount of graphic violence into a movie and come up with an "R" but dirty words get you an "NC-17." Say what?