GreaseSpot Cafe

You stinkers oughta save me from further embarrasment and move this to "Silly"..

Ham

Well, for me, not much. My friend told me all he did was log in to that cesspool, and picked up a half a dozen virus post haste..

But in the latest mailing package, I found the neatest thing.

They use the nicest little magnets inside of the cover to hold it shut. After digging two of the packs apart, I had two of the nicest little magnets you could find. They're really strong buggers, too..

Now to figure out what to do with the magnets..

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

Yes, there is a little tiny super-strong magnet in one side of the package, and a equally small piece of steel in the other.

Of course it holds only a CD, not magnetic media, therefore the magnet is no danger.

It was from one of the really big internet providers, one which a couple of friends routinely have to kill viruses coming in the email.. one was not so "lucky". I did not want to specifically name the company.

Same company used to send oodles and oodles of floppy disks out, and I found those to be useful when reformatted. Then came the CD's. The house I live in, I have been getting five or six of the things a month, "we'll GIVE you seventy hours or so.."

Useless stinking disks.

Until I found the new package that contained the little magnets.

...that's OK hamm... you're a radio geek and not expected to fully understand... the computer geek's ears perk up every time you say the word "virus" and when you coupled that with the word "central"...

Well... you can imagine how you started their hearts racing...

you can use those CDs for coasters, or to develop you Chinese throwing stars skills without worrying about hurting anyone...

Are you talking about the ubiquitous AOL Cd's? But they do not contain magnets or viruses that I am aware of.

I am not aware of any ISP offerings that contain viruses. That would be all over the Internet if so. Haven't heard about that at all.

What is the NAME of the product(s) you are speaking of?

And I mentioned magnets because I have always been under the impression that magnets can corrupt data. I know a big one can on a hard drive but I am not sure about a CD. I would think so. Why would there be a magnet in a cd case anyway?

Magnets can not harm a CD because CD's are not magnetic media. The laser reads pits burned into the disc.

If you ever had to uninstall AOL back in the win '95 day's, you would understand why some of us would call it a virus. icon_smile.gif:)--> It used it's own proprietary winsock and wasn't "friendly" bout restoring the original when you uninstalled it.

Rick

quote:
Why would there be a magnet in a cd case anyway?

Simply to keep the case closed. Why, I have no idea- I don't know why they even bothered with the thing- as if you're gonna put the package up on a bookshelf somewhere and admire it..

Maybe my friend next door had a unique experience though.. claims despite anti-virus programs and stuff, his machine still got trashed.. just by picking up the mail. he curses the name of A O double hockey sticks..

Naw, not ME. I guess they are gonna leave me here a little longer for a little more suffering. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Igotout's comments that he'd like to know "what the hell you are talking about" suggested that things were not quite what I thought they were..

So lets be clear. You are saying that the installation of an AOL CD (which has magnets in the case) caused your friends computer to receive loads of viruses. Therefore you call it Virus Central?

Well I doubt that is true. But I have heard that it is possible to receive viruses as soon as you connect to the Internet if it is high speed although this was in times past. I think the prevalence of viruses has slowed. Not real sure. But I seriously doubt AOL had anythng to do with it. In fact I have heard they do a pretty good job of blocking both spam and viruses.

As much as I would NEVER install AOL on my computer, I think AOL 9 can be useful for some families who want excellent parental control over what their youngsters can access on the Internet.

I asked what the hell you were talking about because sometimes I do not know what the hell I am talking about and I just need a little clarification. It seemed incredible and still does. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Take no offense. angelkit.gif

Let me know if your friend has further virus probs and if they seem AOL related.

Yeah, finished but had lots of problems with brand new hard drive corruptions. Haven't had tme to post much about it or deal with it because of being so busy at work this season. Will post pictures soon, now that I have the problems solved and found out the cause.

Dream Machines look great and have lots of toys but in real life, day to day usage they can become Nightmare Machines if components do not play well together.

quote:
I asked what the hell you were talking about because sometimes I do not know what the hell I am talking about and I just need a little clarification. It seemed incredible and still does. Take no offense.

None taken. At the worst, I took it humorously icon_smile.gif:)-->

Well, all he claimed was that it was a brand new machine, and all he did was log in and get mail.

The guy at the computer shop did find a LOAD of viruses.. who knows. Maybe he didn't want to admit where he REALLY went to on the web! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->