GreaseSpot Cafe

Is TWI Getting Better or is it About the Same, or Worse?

Eagle

Well, Bliss, you know this means you can't leave till after the anniversary. wink2.gif;)-->

I HATE those freaking secrets!! *sing song voice* I know something you don't know! But it's a really GOOD thing!

Is it the assignments or have those already been announced formally?

Maybe the divorce is final and Ohio is sanctioning same sex marriages. icon_smile.gif:)--> Yeppers! There's gonna be a wedding in NK and you all are invited to the reception before we leave for a three month gloriously exotic honeymoon with your abundant sharing.

Tisk, tisk, Mr. Ham, you know she always wanted Honeywagon duty!

No, Belle, the comment came after I moaned that I couldn't take one more collateral teaching....that is when they said it.... so it must be something doctrinal or "new light".

Yea, guess I'll wait... wink2.gif;)-->

I think Kevlar's got the key.

The lack of accountablility means that TWI will always be a dangerous organization

..for anyone.

Who's exercising oversight of ordained clergy?!?

-basically untrained clergy at that!

But even if they were decently prepared to exercise their duties...

the lack of accountability and oversight must give every member, non-member, seeker pause.

Do you want to take this kind of chance?

Do you want your children exposed to these dangers?

Where are the sexual harassement policies (and training re: such) required in every respectable Christian organization these days?

To not have such is gross negligence for any organization that has volunteers working with children.

One can almost prophesize a sad day in court for TWI because of its studied, purposeful negligence.

Not that I grieve for TWI, it's the child (children) I grieve for. We already know TWI could not avoid or stop serial abuse of young women by its founder.

What structural safeguards were put in place after this tragedy was brought to light?! - NONE!

Even if I agreed with their hackneyed version of an impossible, inerrant view of scripture...

for these organizational failings, I'd stay miles and miles and miles away.

If you must... (I do) go to a real church -they don't claim to have all the answers - and for that reason are right.. and safe.

Every so often I feel curious as to what it would be like to go to a TWI fellowship again. I know someone who has gone a few times in the last 5 yrs; says it's not that bad. I think they betrayed everybody by "cracking down on debt, homos, unproductive evil,etc. and THOSE people (many of us) will never trust them again.

Right now I go to a fellowship affiliated with CG and it's OK: lot of people I've known for 20 yrs, good sense of community, and the ABS stays in STL. I don't attribute this to CG, though (never met him). Even in churches the leadership changes or shifts every few yrs or so and what met your needs then might not now. That old wayism "committed beyond your lifetime" is an accident waiting to happen.

quote:
I know someone who has gone a few times in the last 5 yrs; says it's not that bad.

not that bad would be key words for me. icon_smile.gif:)--> Why settle for OK or "not that bad"? There's so much more out there!! Churches have come a long way.....A REAL LONG WAY....and there truly is something that meets each individual's needs out there, imo. It may take a bit of looking, but I truly believe that. It's probably "not that bad" because he's not consistently attending, although the fact that he's able to get away with that is really odd given the climate of TWI. (I'm not saying it's not happening, just that it's odd and not "normal" for TWI's MO.)

As far as I can tell after running into people I thought were firends yesterday, it has not changed. These were people that I had spent a lot of time with over the past 20 years and they practically ran out of the store to get away from me when i stopped and said hello to them. So I see no change in the way they are taught to treat people that were their friends while attending fellowship but were considered posesssed once they left.