GreaseSpot Cafe

"the Way:Living in Wonderland"

WordWolf

We were promised the "Abundant life"

"more than abundantly" the Bible says

Looking back, I wonder why they didn't ever put out a book of testimonies

you know MAggie Muggins on how her life is more than abundant

In my church the first Sunday of the month is testimony meeting--people who want to share get up and tell the things that God has done for them.

And I don't mean the canned responses TWI was so fond of "it taught me the greatness of the word" "it taught me the keys to biblical research"

I mean things like

How God helped them this last month through a lose of a job.

How GOd mended fences with an angry child.

And this brings me to another point I just noticed-- in my church the glory is given to GOd and his son Jesus Christ--In TWI The Glory was to go to TWI and "our father in the word" icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Edited by templelady

Templelady

Are you sure you haven't kept forsaking the spring of living waters for another broken cistern?

LDS has an equally shaky beginning with Joseph Smith and his plates and special glasses and many painful lessons over the years including polygamy and racism.

LDS theology takes many leaps with science and history, what makes it so appealing after twi?

quote:
page 34, same discussion, has something I especially thought was worth

noting.

quote:

"But what The Doctor teaches in that class in 33 hours I couldn't

teach you in 33 hours. He's been doing research and teaching for 30 years

now and he's a terrific teacher. That class will give you the foundation,

the keys to understanding God's Word. It'll really blow your mind. The

depth of that class is just tremendous.

Anyone want to address these?

Sure, I will. My mind sure was blown.....from frickin boredom!

quote:
page 34, same discussion, has something I especially thought was worth

noting.

quote:

"But what The Doctor teaches in that class in 33 hours I couldn't teach you in 33 hours. He's been doing research and teaching for 30 years now and he's a terrific teacher. That class will give you the foundation, the keys to understanding God's Word. It'll really blow your mind. The depth of that class is just tremendous.

Ok, let's see...

We have the "this is the greatest class in the world" stuff,

which is a lie because the ORIGINAL was LEONARD's and all

indications are it's better.

We have "the Doctor" thing again.

We have the "he's been doing research and teaching for 30

years now and this is the result" thing, which, as we NOW know,

is a dirty lie. vpw was an unimpressive researcher and teacher

when relying on his own abilities (or lack thereof).

So, HIS ability to teach and research here are irrelevant.

It was his ability to photocopy and mimic the material,

substance, style AND PRESENTATION of BG Leonard that made the

difference between "some guy in a pulpit" and "some guy with

a great class."

Of course, the HONEST thing would have been to either make

arrangements for LEONARD's class over here or at least

acknowledge the material was LEONARD's, but honesty was never

a priority with vpw-it interfered with his ability to put forth

that he was some great one.

quote:
LDS has an equally shaky beginning with Joseph Smith and his plates and special glasses and many painful lessons over the years including polygamy and racism.

LDS theology takes many leaps with science and history, what makes it so appealing after twi?

We are not told to venerate Joseph Smith or any prophet ahead of GOD. We are taught that we are not to take at face value anything a Prophet says without holding it up to the light of Scripture and praying about it.

The story of Brigham Young saying the moon was made of cheese and men in Top hats lived there has been taken out of context many times. What Brigham Young in fact said after he made that pronouncement was "go home and pray about what I just said". the next day President Young asked the same group "how many believe what I said yesterday" and everyone but one man raised his hand. Brigham Young then asked "how many went home and prayed about what I said" and the man who had not raised his hand before was the only one to raise it in response to this question. Prtesident Young went on to point out how this example should have made clear to everyone and That GOd was the final authority as to truth.

In order to accept the LDS faith you have to believe that Joseph Smith did in fact find the plates and translate them, that he was in fact a prophet called of GOD. I studied the LDS church on and off for 34 years before joining. The turning point for me was Doctrine & Covenants Section 87 (Doctrine and Covenants is a series of revelations given to President/Prophets of the Church starting in Sept of 1823 to June of 1978) In D&C 87 GOd makes the following revelations to Joseph Smith the then President/Prophet of the LDS church

South Carolina will Rebel against the United States

THe result of this will be a war that will cost many lives

The Southern States will unite against the Northern States in this war

Great Britain will side with the South

Slaves will rise up againt their masters at this time

European Wars to follow [Karl MArx's therories gain hold in Europe and Russia]

Joseph Smith died in October of 1844, sixteen years befor the Civil War. This prophecy was given to him on Dec 25, 1832, Twenty Eight years before the Civil War--clearly only GOd could have revealed it to him.

Polygamy was not, as many suppose, a willy nilly free for all of sexual gluttony. Very few Men were called by God to practice it ( these callings were confirmed by the Aposltles and Presidency of the church) It provided for women who were widows or women who were in areas with few husbands available in an era where a woman alone would be in dire straits. A man who had more that one wife had to provide each with her own residence, each wife was to have an equal amount of material goods, and her husbands time and devotion. Men who failed to live up to this were disciplined. To claim a relationship with the polygamists of today (despite what they say) and the LDS church has as much validity as claiming the Baptists are responsible for white supremists. Neither group can be held accoutable for those who would twist doctine to their own purposes.

THe Curse of CAin doctrine (regarding black people) promulgated by President Brigham Young was in my opinion, and the opinion of many others, wrong (see above about believing everything that comes out of a prophets mouth)

There is a really excellent web site that explains far better than I could about the LDS church Vis-a vis Black members.

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/blackmormon/homepage.html

As for racism in the church The LDS are no worse or better that the Southern Baptist Convention and many other Churchs that held racist views about black americans

This has been a lenghty post--please understand I am answering a question from my personal viewpoint. This post is not to convince anyone of the "Rightness" of my position nor do I wish anyone to try and convert me to the "rightness" of theirs. Thank You icon_smile.gif:)-->

Edited by templelady

Pages 43-44, we get a description of the Way Corps.

quote:
"The Corps program is the best. To live here and have the Doctor

work with us is extraordinary. He allows us to see the ministry through

his eyes. He shares everything with us. And sometimes it's a bummer.

But he lays it out.

The idea of the Corps is to transmit the commitment and dedication of the

ministry to us so that we can teach others where he can't be himself.

It works by osmosis here. I can't quite express it in words, but I can

feel it and see it and know it. It's learning to be keen and sensitive to

the spirit of God anywhere and anytime. We are really privileged to be

able to do this here.

I'm not saying this is the only place it can be done. It's possible to

reach that point of knowledge and zeal anywhere if people work the Word

and renew their minds. But this, the Corps program, is the fastest way.

What we learn here in two years would take ten to fifteen years in the

outside world to learn."

Those of you who were IN the corps,

how accurate is this appraisal?

I don`t know wolf, I never made it past my app. year (3 times lol) then became corpes spouse.

All I know is that once I applied, life became pretty tough...all of a sudden ... they OWNED my friggin a$$.

I was subject to everyone`s orders, room inspections by my lc became acceptable, all of my activities were dictated, who/what I was allowed to participte in, where/who I lived with.... was expected to take/participate in any class or event.

I was required to go to extra leadership *training* at the limb....what great secrets and training did I enjoy??????

Why we were dropped off in pairs aroung the city for a little door to door witnessing!

Being app corpes meant that you were open to face meltings on a whim....because of out greater committment ... we were expected to be mature enough to handle it and understand the *love* in which it was given.

I can only speculate that it was more of the same upon entering residence.

As far as I could tell....that *greater* committment of being corpes simply meant that one was expected to be willing to put up with/ ignore/endure the outragious demands and behavior of the leaders in charge...

I like to refer to TWLIL as my favorite book of Way *fiction* as I never saw the utopia that was alleged to have existed at HQ or in the lives of those who were totally committed to TWI. In my opinion it was a glorified religious phamplet/tract designed for marketing purposes.

I'll say this though. It was very much a product of the time and any well-meaning, young person looking to make a difference would typically get excited when reading some of the passages though it could also be very corny in its attempts to make HQ look like the Elysian Fields.

quote:
What we learn here in two years would take ten to fifteen years in the

outside world to learn."

Ah, what a "bargain".

NOW tell me what that diploma is worth..

Ten to fifteen YEARS? I should have run away when I heard these kinds of claims..

Now if they said, "we heap ten to fifteen years of ABUSE into two short years (besides interim years)" it probably would be a little closer to the truth.

quote:
but this Tim character was gone by mid 70's

I think I met him.

relative of an upper up in der vey I think..

couldn't stomach "leadership" even back in the good old days..

only took a short two years after this living in love lifestyle stuff..

Ham, I know who you mean, but is that Doctor Who of British Science Fiction, you know the Time Lord with K-9 alias Here Tick(heretic)?

What struck me as odd with the Corps experience is I saw many intelligent and well off people go into the Corps. By the time they graduated, they looked so shabby [except for the suits and long dresses].

Because they were instructed to be *extremely* frugal, they got their clothing by swapping with each other or by what was left behind from previous Corps folks.

I remember this one elegant person; she went in with beautiful clothing and well kept [and current] hairstyle.

I attended a meeting she held after her graduation. She was in an outfit that was at least 10 years out of style, it was too tight, and all the wrong colors for her. Her hair was in serious need of repair! She looked old.

And all the while spouting the MORE than abundant life!! This gal was a successful businesswoman who had sold all her earthly possessions to go Way Corps.

Man, talk about wielding guilt with scripture---sell all your possessions. Sheesh, that was at a particular time with Jesus, and VP ain't no Jesus!!!

quote:
Originally posted by rascal:

...I never made it past my app. year...all I know is that once I applied, life became pretty tough...all of a sudden ... they OWNED my friggin a$$.

I was subject to everyone`s orders, room inspections by my lc became acceptable, all of my activities were dictated, who/what I was allowed to participte in, where/who I lived with.... was expected to take/participate in any class or event...Being app corpes meant that you were open to face meltings on a whim....because of out greater committment ... we were expected to be mature enough to handle it and understand the *love* in which it was given.

I can only speculate that it was more of the same upon entering residence.

As far as I could tell....that *greater* committment of being corpes simply meant that one was expected to be willing to put up with/ ignore/endure the outragious demands and behavior of the leaders in charge...

Hmmm...sounds like life as a "regular believer" in the late 90's mad.gif

quote:
"The Corps program is the best. To live here and have the Doctor

work with us is extraordinary. He allows us to see the ministry through

his eyes. He shares everything with us. And sometimes it's a bummer.

But he lays it out.

The idea of the Corps is to transmit the commitment and dedication of the ministry so that we can teach others where he can't be himself.

It works by osmosis here. I can't quite express it in words, but I can

feel it and see it and know it. It's learning to be keen and sensitive to

the spirit of God anywhere and anytime. We are really privileged to be

able to do this here.

Man.. this one is loaded!!!

Where does someone begin?

I've highlighted in bold what I wanted to address.

1) "the" doctor.. say no more icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

2) he "allows" us to see...blah blah blah... Oh my icon_confused.gif:confused:--> .. ALLOWS... man oh man... how this person has made himself so inferior to 'the' doctor or 'the' doctor made sure he stayed in his place. This seems to work for THE doctor...but not quite sure what Tim is getting outta' all of this?

3)..through 'his' eyes... now tell me.. why didn't the good ole' doctor allow others to share what they saw through their eyes? Sounds like a very one sided situation.

4)...and sometimes it's a bummer...must have been talking about them ranting and raving situations.. or maybe when Tim would stumble upon things he wasn't quite comfortable with??? hmmmmmmmmmmm??? icon_eek.gif

5)...he lays it out...again, full control

6)...to transmit the commitment and dedication of the ministry...HUH??????? what about God? what about Jesus Christ? what about helping others in need? nope... i guess that wasn't TWI's agenda regarding the way corps.. it was bottom line...promote TWI!

7)...where he can't be himself... a little full of ourselves are we? nono5.gif

8)...osmosis...now i'm really confused? icon_confused.gif:confused:--> osmosis: 2) process by which something is acquired by absorption. (pocket oxford dictionary)

You mean to say that all those hours spent in those classes and I could have just absorbed it osmosisly? mad.gif

9)...feel...see...know...it all seems very 5 senses...sheeshh...not the way corps motto now is it?

10)...privileged...what about TWI being 'privileged' to have people willing to work for nothing and be their salespersons for free?

I'm getting sick again confused.gif

quote:
Do you think I got my point accross?

Naw, Ala, tell us how you really feel! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Yep.. "I" did it, "I" taught, "MY" knowledge..

Tim's description is probably pretty accurate thought- "sometimes it is a BUMMER".

From the vocabulary of the sixties and early seventies, what he is saying, is sometimes ole "doc's" "medicine" results in a BAD TRIP.

Yeah, being Corps, yeah, that was sure great, especially after graduation and it hits you that now you're a slave to TWI for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, and if you leave you are FORSAKING GOD.

So you have to take all the crap the higher ups dish out.

Things like "How could you let THAT happen? You're Corps!" (Like when somebody else does something, somehow you're to blame, because YOU'RE CORPS.)

Yeah, it was really great, really great.