GreaseSpot Cafe

Anybody got the words?

Snoballer

On 4/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

I am surprised Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings didn't sue The Way for copyright infringement. But what's new? Wierwille wasn't sued either

Parody is fair use. You can't sue over it.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has the information and can tell whether the original artists were credited.

Signed, Raf

20 hours ago, Rocky said:

Honestly, this thread was started before the GSC ban on political topics/discussion.

The topic IS distasteful AND political.

I find this thread is neither distasteful nor political.  It is a tasteful thread on a distasteful subject.  If we can find tasteful ways to discuss a plagiarizing rapists' plagiarism and rapes, then we can find tasteful ways to discuss distasteful songs.   However, I personally don't have much to say on the subject and said it before. I don't think this thread will go very far.

On 4/4/2018 at 9:43 PM, PianomanNY said:

Oh man, i used to LOVE that tape. I actually did the "don't let your babies grow up to be homos one night live in my band!" . Now a day, people get all butt hurt. ( no pun intended, but its funny) 
I too would love a copy or the mp3s or even the tape if anyone has it? did you ever get a copy UncleChromDome? if so i would love it sent to my email
pianomanny@gmail.com 

( fingers crossed)

Even the original artist doesn't play this material anymore.  Is nostalgia really that important to you, or were you looking for a song to endorse?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

I am surprised Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings didn't sue The Way for copyright infringement. But what's new? Wierwille wasn't sued either

A) Parody is protected speech.

B) Once again, twi was a flyspeck in US culture. Neither artist ever heard of twi, let alone that song.  It's not like that was the most visible part of twi, even. So, twi flew under the radar as always.   Besides, if either drew attention to the little flyspeck, they might have inadvertently advertised the heck out of the song. (It's called "the Streisand Effect.")

C) Leonard thought it was unBiblical for Christian to sue Christian. The Bullinger was dead before vpw plagiarized him. Stiles never heard a thing. twi was a flyspeck in CHRISTIAN culture.

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

I find this thread is neither distasteful nor political.  It is a tasteful thread on a distasteful subject.  If we can find tasteful ways to discuss a plagiarizing rapists' plagiarism and rapes, then we can find tasteful ways to discuss distasteful songs.   However, I personally don't have much to say on the subject and said it before. I don't think this thread will go very far.

Fair enough. However, it does have political overtones. I hope you're right about your last point.

6 hours ago, modcat5 said:

This topic is not distasteful. The song is. And it's a part of TWI history that is fair game. It's no more political than discussing VPW's lie about being invited to Reagan's inauguration or LCM's bloodlust for stockpiling nuclear weapons.

Certain topics that are About The Way will occasionally border on politics. Some may even cross the border. But this one, I think, doesn't. Feel free to disagree.

The song, and a comment made by our new friend Pianoman, both have political overtones. I hope this is the end of it.

I remember that Tom Burke tape entitled "Many Ways" - it was all entirely confrontational / parody with respect to the Way hot buttons.   Early to mid '80s?  The title track "Many Ways" was making fun of the "there are many ways to get to heaven" line of thinking at the time which was much more collaborative as opposed to separatist and fundamentalist.   This was part of an overall strategy of "picking a fight" with organized religion over controversial topics so the Way could introduce their rhetoric in and win people from mainstream Christian denominations.

No I don't have a copy nostalgia seekers.

What were topics?

1. Homosexuality - made fun of that was redneck and narrow minded even for the '80s and is totally tone deaf now

2. Trinity - if you needed a song to alienate any potential Christian supporters but not followers, this would be the one

3. Commonality of Religion - instead of focusing on similarities and building bridges, the Way is continually the street corner drunk picking a fight

Can't remember the rest of the tracks though....

• Like 2

I was a aGreasespot candidate by the time LCM went on his hunting spree! I could barely believe the things I was hearing from the one or two sources I knew. Then there were the stories about making the Corps live a certain distance from HQ and on and on...I never experienced any of this. Of course, I only was in residence(12th Corps) at Emporia for a year because I was on the WOW field the year before and after. I guess twi successfully instilled a guilt complex in me because it’s still hard for me to admit not returning for final year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, chockfull said:

I remember that Tom Burke tape entitled "Many Ways" - it was all entirely confrontational / parody with respect to the Way hot buttons.   Early to mid '80s?  The title track "Many Ways" was making fun of the "there are many ways to get to heaven" line of thinking at the time which was much more collaborative as opposed to separatist and fundamentalist.   This was part of an overall strategy of "picking a fight" with organized religion over controversial topics so the Way could introduce their rhetoric in and win people from mainstream Christian denominations.

No I don't have a copy nostalgia seekers.

What were topics?

1. Homosexuality - made fun of that was redneck and narrow minded even for the '80s and is totally tone deaf now

2. Trinity - if you needed a song to alienate any potential Christian supporters but not followers, this would be the one

3. Commonality of Religion - instead of focusing on similarities and building bridges, the Way is continually the street corner drunk picking a fight

Can't remember the rest of the tracks though....

"Many Ways"- mocking different approaches to God, including in church.

"Would You Like to Be Born Again?" to the tune of "Would You Like to Swing on a Star?"  Mocked satanists,  non-Christians, and denominational Christians.

"Gracetrack"" -which didn't mock anyone.

"Kidnap My Kid' mocked deprogramming.

"Trinity Song" mocked the Trinity,  "Water" mocked water Baptism,  the Western mentioned above we discussed, "Witches" mocked pagans/wiccans.

"Don't Go to Twig" mocked criticisms of twi.

The last song didn't mock. "The Earthsuit Song" compared living on Earth to living in space, with body and soul as an "earthsuit" so we can get around here.

I don't know if I left something out, but I probably did.  If someone gives me a title, line or subject, it will come back to me. 

The artist did other albums, and they didn't make fun of other people. I don't want to confuse their contents with this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I was a aGreasespot candidate by the time LCM went on his hunting spree! I could barely believe the things I was hearing from the one or two sources I knew. Then there were the stories about making the Corps live a certain distance from HQ and on and on...I never experienced any of this. Of course, I only was in residence(12th Corps) at Emporia for a year because I was on the WOW field the year before and after. I guess twi successfully instilled a guilt complex in me because it’s still hard for me to admit not returning for final year.

Fret not brother Jimbo. There were plenty of others (of us) who went through one year in residence but didn't return for the second one.

Yes, twi was big on the guilt but I got over it and have been thankful for a long time that I didn't go back to graduate from the corpse.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I'm sure you were better off in the long run.  With only a guilt complex, you avoided all the other complexes developed in the 2nd year in residence and subsequent assignments.  Trust me.  Later on, over 95% of the Corpse also developed a guilt complex (I did) when leaving what was billed to be a lifetime of Christian service.   Many who went back and remained developed a "god complex", as evidenced by current Way leadership.   

At least low self esteem is treatable.  

Welcome to the 'Spot.

Cup o joe and a slice of pie bro!!!!

6c1c82350d7f1212b5e8364b48669a07.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Welcome to Grease Spot, Jimbo !!!

I can relate... I had 2 years in residence then out on the field with assignment of area coordinator- I left after only a few months ... had a lot of guilt and doubt over doing that at first - but it went away after time...now I have a little guilt that I stayed in for so long - like a betrayal of my true self or something... is there such a thing as cultic- schizophrenia?    :biglaugh:

...Just kidding - the longer you are out and enjoying the freedom and power to think and choose for yourself -  the better you’ll feel all around !

Hey, some more coffee for Jimbo and the rest of the Grease Spotters...I do feel a little guilty over how much coffee I drink here ....and that I still pester folks for corps sponsorship ... just kidding - but not about how much coffee I drink when I’m on Grease Spot. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Welcome to Grease Spot, Jimbo !!!

I can relate... I had 2 years in residence then out on the field with assignment of area coordinator- I left after only a few months ... had a lot of guilt and doubt over doing that at first - but it went away after time...now I have a little guilt that I stayed in for so long - like a betrayal of my true self or something... is there such a thing as cultic- schizophrenia?    :biglaugh:

...Just kidding - the longer you are out and enjoying the freedom and power to think and choose for yourself -  the better you’ll feel all around !

Hey, some more coffee for Jimbo and the rest of the Grease Spotters...I do feel a little guilty over how much coffee I drink here ....and that I still pester folks for corps sponsorship ... just kidding - but not about how much coffee I drink when I’m on Grease Spot. :rolleyes:

As I’m new here not sure if its ok to continue conversation with those who responded to my post or should I begin another thread?

53 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

As I’m new here not sure if its ok to continue conversation with those who responded to my post or should I begin another thread?

Do whatever you think would best address your concerns...might work out good if you start a new thread with title of what you want to talk about like “dealing with guilt, etc. “ or whatever it is you have in mind.

Jimbo, if I were you, I’d start a thread “ why does the new guy always have to buy everyone coffee and donuts?”

...you could try what I did...when I first got here I asked if anyone would want to get blessed and sponsor me for coffee and donuts...no takers - but I managed with doing some I-owe-yous

Edited by T-Bone

On 4/6/2018 at 1:34 PM, WordWolf said:

Even the original artist doesn't play this material anymore.  Is nostalgia really that important to you, or were you looking for a song to endorse?

Actually i like playing music around the house. i with out a doubt i would love to get permission to play some of his tunes out in public. but mainly just for my own enjoyment. I have attached what i have come up with and compiled, and anyone can download it.. but i would love to get the song  GraceTrack . you see  i  originally had the tape and lost it in a fire years ago, and the only other guy i knew that had it was an old roommate  John Sharp from Tucson Arizona, and i just recently heard of his passing. so i'm kinda in a limbo.

Mommas homos.docx

Edited by PianomanNY
added song

23 minutes ago, waysider said:

HERE

........HERE

Yeah,  i found that page the other day  and i called that phone number  yesterday and three times today. NO LUCK Ithink it is either disconnected or something. It has a fast busy signal every time i call.

I do remember a few lyrics though..

I got off the race track and got on the grace track

look out devil here i come, I'm Gods Son i'm Number one

So watch me sail, i can't fail. You're gonna slip on your tail
Stick your fiery darts in your private parts
He comes the Son of God!

LMAO or close lol.

5 hours ago, chockfull said:

I'm sure you were better off in the long run.  With only a guilt complex, you avoided all the other complexes developed in the 2nd year in residence and subsequent assignments.  Trust me.  Later on, over 95% of the Corpse also developed a guilt complex (I did) when leaving what was billed to be a lifetime of Christian service.   Many who went back and remained developed a "god complex", as evidenced by current Way leadership.   

At least low self esteem is treatable.  

Welcome to the 'Spot.

Cup o joe and a slice of pie bro!!!!

6c1c82350d7f1212b5e8364b48669a07.jpg

Thanks Chockfull. I don’t know anything about current TWI leadership 

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Do whatever you think would best address your concerns...might work out good if you start a new thread with title of what you want to talk about like “dealing with guilt, etc. “ or whatever it is you have in mind.

Thanks T-Bone. I spent some time starting a new thread but don’t see it in New Members. I hope it is just waiting for approval, otherwise I just spilled my guts for nothing.:asdf:

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks T-Bone. I spent some time starting a new thread but don’t see it in New Members. I hope it is just waiting for approval, otherwise I just spilled my guts for nothing.:asdf:

I don't think the moderators pre-approve posts (or moderate prior to posting). What a drag if you lost your post. :(

9 hours ago, PianomanNY said:

Yeah,  i found that page the other day  and i called that phone number  yesterday and three times today. NO LUCK Ithink it is either disconnected or something. It has a fast busy signal every time i call.

I do remember a few lyrics though..

I got off the race track and got on the grace track

look out devil here i come, I'm Gods Son i'm Number one

So watch me sail, i can't fail. You're gonna slip on your tail
Stick your fiery darts in your private parts
He comes the Son of God!

LMAO or close lol.

I used to run in the devil's marathon, I always lost, he always won. He'd lie in wait for me at the finish li-ine.  Then I got tired of getting beat,  pulled the weight of sin off my hands and feet, and now I break that ribbon every time.  

(chorus)I got rid of my sin, I'm bound to win, I read Romans 10 and got born again, then

I got off that racetrack, nonw I'm on the Gracetrack.  Look out devil, here I come. I'm God's son I'm Number One, so watch me sail, I can't fail, gonna step on your tail. Stick your fiery darts in your private parts, here comes a son of God!

With that number zero on my chest, to win that race I did my best, but that number 666 went flying past. 

[unsure] He used to beat me in every race [/unsure]   -but now I wear that number 5 for Grace, 

And all he's got to look at is my back.

(chorus)

Yes, now I run for Jesus Christ. I'm pressing on to win the prize. I don't look back, there's nothing there but sin. The devil still kicks up some dust- but I know what's in store for both of us- a crown for me and a fiery lake for him.

(chorus)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I used to run in the devil's marathon, I always lost, he always won. He'd lie in wait for me at the finish li-ine.  Then I got tired of getting beat,  pulled the weight of sin off my hands and feet, and now I break that ribbon every time.  

(chorus)I got rid of my sin, I'm bound to win, I read Romans 10 and got born again, then

I got off that racetrack, nonw I'm on the Gracetrack.  Look out devil, here I come. I'm God's son I'm Number One, so watch me sail, I can't fail, gonna step on your tail. Stick your fiery darts in your private parts, here comes a son of God!

With that number zero on my chest, to win that race I did my best, but that number 666 went flying past. 

HE USED TO RUN BY AND LAUGH IN MY FACE   -but now I wear that number 5 for Grace, 

Now all he has to look at is my back.

(chorus)

Yes, now I run for Jesus Christ. I'm pressing on to win the prize. I don't look back, there's nothing there but sin. The devil still kicks up some dust- but I know what's in store for both of us- a crown for me and a fiery lake for him.

(chorus)

I remembered the missing line.

Edited by WordWolf
Fixing lyrics
  • Like 1