GreaseSpot Cafe

Mandolin, banjo,, country, bluegrass and folk music info!!

Cowgirl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Originally posted by Bluzeman:

OK, for better or worse, I'm gonna post this. I just bought a mandolin this year. Have been playing guitar since 1971, KB since 77 and can pretty much play any stringed instrument. Just a knack I guess. But anyway, my second day with the mandolin, I was looking for a Zepplin-ish kind of tune and came up with THIS. Now I'm sure ya'll are much better than me on Mandolin, but before you laugh too much, keep in mind, this was my second day of working with mandolin. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick

Woooooo --- no laughing here. I'm impressed! icon_cool.gif

David

23BillsF5B.jpg

Bluzeman, here's a site you might want to check when it comes to purchasing a mandolin, Some mighty fine mandoes here!! Of course I'm sure you're aware there's lots more to pick and chose from. I just happen to really enjoy the sound of these ones.

There is a site that I have been trying to find where where it has lots of mandolins for sale and you can listen for a few seconds of the sound each one makes. I'll post it once I find it.

Cowgirl

http://www.rigelmandolin.com/

fallgap%20copy.jpg

I was reviewing 2 and 3 finger chords and I saw that some of these chords have the same name but yet totally different fingering positions. For example "A" in one of my notes is shown as a 2 finger chord and then in one of my books it is shown as a 3 finger chord, why is that? It's a bit confusing. When it calls for the "A" chord in a song how do you know which one to play, just go by the sound?

Here are some others ones that do that.........G13, C7, Fm7, Am, A7,

Cowgirl

C__Documents_and_Settings_ptsang_Desktop

I play an *A* chord several ways, but usually it is:

5 -- this being the 5th fret, on the *E* string

4 -- this being the 4th fret, on the *A* string

2 -- this being the 2nd fret, on the *D* string

2 -- this being the 2nd fret, on the *G* string

sometimes I'll play combinations of that configuratioin for the same chord, but giving me different results in sound that seem to flow better with the tune being played.

My general rule of thumb is -- play the chord however it feels most comfortable to you. I have a hard time getting my fingers into some of those other ways of playing the same chord! icon_eek.gif

Most bluegrassers play the *A* chord like this:

5 -- 5th fret, E string

4 -- 4th fret, A string

7 -- 7th fret, D string

9 -- 9th fret, G string

My fingers don't work, for that one!

Edited by dmiller

• 3 weeks later...

I have a HUGE favour to ask, if anyone can fulfill it for me, that would be AWESOME !!!

The song "Days go By" that I posted the link to, I would love to get my hands on the invidual notes to it, I already have the chords for it, I can figure out the notes to simpler songs but this one is out of my league.

Cowgirl

• 2 weeks later...
Even before that, Brad's love for music began in 1979 at his family's bluegrass festival that brought in local and regional talent through 1984. It was there that he was exposed to the talents of the likes of Scott Vestal and Russell Moore who were then "Southern Connection."

Brad's other early influences were the Virginia Squires, The Lost & Found, The Lonesome River Band, Tony Rice, Larry Rice, Snuffy Walden, Norman Blake and the Bluegrass Album Band.

It wasn't until later that he listened to and learned from the ones that these had learned from, namely the likes of Bill Monroe and Flatt & Scruggs.

Hmmmmm. Scott Vestal and Russell Moore are the musical *offshoot* equivilants of what was the foundation of bluegrass. Like following *religious* off shoots, one gets a better perspective of the music by following the off shoots that come from that genre, while respecting the original.

Earl re-wrote how banjo was to be played, but Scott Vestal (and others) took it to new heights.

Father Bill invented the music and sang the *High Lonesome Sound*, but Russell walks all over him in the vocal department.

Flatt and Scruggs were a premier band, but The Lonesome River Band transcends, and surpasses all that has been done before.

Well -- I like the old as well as the new. Even though Father Bill called the mandolin

*first child*, I bet he never did expect the likes of Sam Bush to come to the forefront, and re-define mandolin like no other has done. :)

Edited by dmiller

• 2 weeks later...

Hey tomorrow is the big day for the draw of that mandolin!!! I WANT TO WIN IT !!! So any of you who read this post, if you can pray for me, wish me luck, hope for me, if you can command, bid, desire, urge, believe, aspire, dream, foresee, expect, long for, what ever it's going to take I would appreciate it !!!! :D

Thanks mucho!!

gaf122.jpg

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

Cowgirl ----

Feelllllll those strings underneath your fingers!!:

Visualize that Mando in your house;

See that thing in your hands on a daily basis;

Hear the rasp of the pick over the strings

See yourself putting it to bed each night, in it's case, in your house

AH ---- ferget it. I just realized you said to pray (NOT BELEIVE) for it.

Like I told Mike --- there is no Law of believing. But I do still believe in the power of prayer! :)

David

Edited by dmiller