GreaseSpot Cafe

A poll would ya could ya?hank you ASPC.

mj412

Stay in the mess for your pets?

The texas ASPC is now housing the pets that are coming into TEXAS, before you had to leave them behind to get on the bus.

I would stay, for my cats. I have stayed home without electric and heat for them in ice storms. If I had children or someone who needed me to go with them I would leave them behind.

I have pet insurance for my dog I got this email today from them. Glad to see they are helping.

message.gif

Veterinary Pet Insurance Responds To Hurricane Katrina

In response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, Veterinary Pet Insurance is donating $25,000 to the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) Disaster Relief Fund. HSUS is one of the nation's leading humane organizations.

VPI employees have a tradition of caring about others. They are also raising donations for a variety of organizations – some focused on people, others putting their efforts on both people and pets.

As Katrina touched down on American soil, the HSUS immediately launched a massive relief effort to rescue animals and assist their caregivers in the disaster areas. The HSUS Disaster Animal Response Teams in Mississippi and Texas are coordinating a multi-state animal rescue and recovery effort with volunteers working non-stop to save as many pets and caregivers as possible.

The HSUS is also working with Days End Farm Horse Rescue, adding a truck and horse trailer to the fleet of rescue-specific vehicles that are designed for sheltering all kinds of animals—pets, horses, and livestock.

In times of crisis, many people donate to more than one group, often to both human and animal organizations. Some others that welcome your donations include:

American Veterinary Medical Foundation

1931 N. Meacham Road – Suite 100

Schaumburg, IL 60173

(800) 248-2862

http://www.avmf.org

American Red Cross

2025 E Street, NW

Washington, DC 20006

(800) HELP-NOW (800-435-7669)

http://www.redcross.org

Feed The Children

PO Box 36

Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0036

(800) 627-4556

http://www.feedthechildren.org

Noah’s Wish

(non-profit dedicated to helping animals during disasters)

PO Box 997

Placerville, CA 95667

(530) 622-9313

http://www.noahswish.org

As we prepare for our Labor Day Holiday Weekend, we join VPI policyholders in remembering our fellow Americans in the Gulf State Region who will need our support long after the floodwaters have resided. Together we will make a difference for the pets and caregivers suffering from Hurricane Katrina.

And this from the rescue shelter where I got Lucca in Nebraska

hualogo.jpg

flood.jpg

How to Help the Animals Devastated by Hurricane Katrina

The stories are heartbreaking. We won't repeat all the stories we have heard and read - but one of the most horrifying was the first hand account reported by Jean Merserve on CNN about dogs in the storm surge tangled in live electrical wires howling as they were electrocuted. She also reported about the dogs being left on rooftops yelping. She was so struck by what she had seen that she could not get through the report without breaking down crying. The next morning in the live reports from New Orleans dogs could be heard yelping in the background.

Animals were abandoned by their families all over the South when the families evacuated. Thousands of dogs and cats who are used to being taken care of by their families have been left to fend for themselves - battling flood waters, fighting starvation, dehydration, rats and snakes, and criminal gangs that are shooting them. Other animals whose families stayed to protect them were taken away from their families when the families were moved into shelters because animals are not allowed in the shelters. The little boy whose small white dog was taken from him at the Astrodome by the police stood screaming "Snowball, Snowball" so many times that he vomited. The families don't know what will happen to their beloved pet. And the pets are simply devastated by the loss of their people. Shelters across the South are overflowing with dogs and cats who are shell-shocked.

There is much to be said about this but now the animals need help. Hearts United for Animals stands ready to take in dogs who are in need. We are coordinating with people from several organizations to arrange transport of dogs in need to the safety of our shelter. HUA is also making shipments of items that are needed by the rescue organizations - see the list at the link to the right. Shipments have already begun and will continue. We suggest that you take up a collection in your neighborhood and office and ship it to the organizations listed at the linke to the right. In Pennsylvania donations can be taken to the Post Office in Pocopson and will be shipped for free by HUA. We can also give you a donor substantiation form for a tax deduction. Our store, ihelppets.com (http://www.nexternal.com/tss) is sending care packages to the dogs. We are offering these care packages at our cost and then we are matching them. If you send one package, we will send two.

Please do what you can to help now.

YOU CAN MAKE A

DIFFERENCE NOW!!

Send donations to organizations on the front lines

Send in kind donations to organizations on the front lines

Needs list for organizations on the front lines

Send care packages to the animals in shelters in the South

Hearts United for Animals is a national no-kill animal shelter, sanctuary and animal welfare organization dedicated at the relief of suffering. HUA rescues animals from all over the country and specializes in long distance adoptions.

Hearts United for Animals Box 286 Auburn, NE 68305 402.274.3679

hua@hua.org copyright 1996-2005

the pets have it. 50% would stay with their pets so far 6 votes three for staying.

I did not say it was the best choice for anyone or the smartest, just what I would do.

I couldnt be very happy think the old dude had to swim for it, no I would stay as Im sure he would stay for me and has for many years. he doesnt mind water but he loves his food dish and me.

I do understand why some stayed.

I'd set the lizard free and try to put the dog down as painlessly as I could. He's 14 and needs meds else he's in a lot of pain. I hate to think about it, but that's life.

As for the parakeet, I guess I'd set him free. He would at least have a sporting chance.

a bird would probably be alright unless some fool shot at him.

he could fly up to the top of the dome and wait for somone to call him back down when life gets better.

He could eat a few bugs .

I think my cats would be alright in a shelter, in a cage if they had food and water and each other. Im so glad they started taking the pets.

Im glad they got the dog in the sink he might have thought this is one bath from hell for sure. lol poor little guy. now they have to find his parents, Owners for you cool chef.

None of the above.

I would have left at the first voluntary evacuation, with my dog, my cat and even my son's pretty little corn snake who's staying at my house at the moment and my son's dog if he were with me at the time. If I couldn't find a hotel that would allow me to bring the critters, I'd find a campground that would and I'd pitch my tent there or sleep in my car.

My furry companions are more important to me than my house or any of my belongings.

And How Do You Measure Up?

If you can start the day without caffeine,

If you can get going without pep pills,

If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food every and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,

If you can overlook it when those who love you take it out on you when something goes wrong through no fault of yours,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can ignore a friend's limited education and never correct him,

If you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liquor

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

If you can say honestly that deep in your heart you have no prejudice against creed, color, religion or politics,

Then, my friend, you are almost as good as your dog.