GreaseSpot Cafe

is there a way to...

CM

post a link to my shared music file on my computer, or any shared file

i was thinking of starting a thread on great music we missed while in twi.

currently the only way i can do it is upload the music file to my 5mb website and put a shortcut to it in the website and post that shortcut

music files are quite large so i can only do one song at a time

any suggestions or is it a security risk?

will check in tomorrow-gotta work early,

love ya'll

Here is a link to all my music collection (thousands of MP3's), all my photos (several thousand, all my videos and even recorded TV programs. I can listen, view and watch from any internet-connected computer in the world. It even allows me to create playlists and watch designated slide shows of my photos.

Orb

(Watching your personal home TV on the Internet is in its infancy now but in years to come I think it will be prevalent.)

So if you want to allow me to listen to your Music collection to see what I missed while in TWI you will need to give me access. If lots and lots of people are given access to listen to your music you will need a fast file server (computer) and fast Internet connection for all that bandwidth to stream across to multiple locations.

Likewise if you want access to listen and watch content on my computer I would have to give you specific access.

Sun used to say "The internet is the Computer". I think they were right. It is getting that way with faster conections and wireless.

*By the way I can easily save the pictures I view as actual copies of the jpegs. But you will not be abe to copy those MP3's you listen to. That would be illegal and Orb would be sued and shut down quick. If you are talking about allowing your MP3 files to be downloaded and shared by others, that is possible but again illegal and there is risk of a lawsuit.

You could always post a LIST of your MP3's in your thread for discussion.

Thanks igotout,

it looks like it's a free program, cool.

i have cable-would the receiver of such streaming stuff also need a high speed connection? My brother who lives in the sticks of Arkansas would love to be able to tap into my tv that is connected to my computer but he only has dialup.

yeah, i knew about the don't let em download the music file-copyright stuff thing-just a link to play 'em is what i did with my setup

i didn't check it out yet fully.

Orb that is...

gotta go to work,

will check in later

Love Always

I have not used dial up for 7 years but from what I recall it is going to be lousy for any kind of streaming although it will work. But streaming TV I would guess that it would not work very well at all.

Unfortunately even in this great country some areas are still stuck with dial up. Bt someday it will all change.

The faster broadband connection you have the better for things like this.

Well...

while working on this project with Bluzeman i came across this little dude

http://grouper.com/index_b.aspx

it's a sharing thing that you do via email address' and as they say themselves it is free. it's not shared thru email but this is how you setup who to share with. and this type of sharing allows for tranfering any file you like including music-no copyrite problems

i have downloaded it and it seems to work fine and looks cool too

It allows you to stream mp3's and WMA's not share them. Otherwise they would be shut down fast due to illegal music file sharing and copyright issues.

If you want to allow downloads of those file types, you must zip or rename them. Alternatively, you can convert them to any other format.