GreaseSpot Cafe

Lessons From the Land of Oz

laleo

From Laleo:

===============================

JustThinking: Do you think of your years(?) in The Way as a period of adversity? I've sometimes thought of it as the wrong road taken, but maybe it was all part of the path after all. In fact, I'm grateful that I didn't spend my entire life drifting in the ordinariness of it all. All those dreams and the disillusionment that followed may have had an upside. When you take a risk like that, and fail, and pick yourself back up again, other risks aren't as intimidating. For me, that's been a good thing, if only because I'm not comfortable staying in my comfort zone.

=================================

We see things in a similar way. I do think of my years as adversity but they have left me a much better person. It is very hard for me to look back and parse what is due to TWI, what is there despite TWI or where TWI was irrelevent. There were jerks there but there were jerks at work too. And in my neighborhood, and so on. Overall, I am better off because of some of the very wonderful, genuine people I had the pleasure to meet. Not just at fellowship but perhaps a "friend of a friend" situation.

Laleo,

Just a quick aside, it's hard for me to seriously believe that a lot of famous authors MEANT all of this imagery and personification that the academics sit around and comment on. Unless the author says that he/she had this in mind, I tend to believe that they just sat down and wrote a good story meant to be enjoyed for itself and not with hidden meanings.

But, I think it is fun to sit around and come up with our own interpretations and analogies/parallels in our world, too, such as what we're doing. But, for an "expert" to say that the author meant this or that, I believe is just a way either for the "expert" to sound important (mental masturbation) or simply projection on their part.

Anyhoo, just my opinion on that and I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me.

WB

"[if] there were none who were discontented with what they have, the world would never reach for anything better." Florence Nightingale

the Wizard of OZ is a story of growing up to me.

of becoming your own person of finding yourself, of going through the "teen" years... no matter what age.

In the end it is to be home again in your comfortable bed with those who have always loved you by your side wondering if your ok?? Dorothy tells about her journey to find her way back home (herself) and states" he and she and you where there all along but you couldnt have been, could you???? to me it the story of seperation and coming home to yourself. it is a masterpiece.

for me it is a rich story about how difficult growing up can be..

and many found that path while in the way Ministry .

It is better to grow up than to age.

we like to think we are all brave pioneers going roads never before seen with risk and dare . YET those who had the most influence in our life those we trusted and loved growing up were really always with us on the inside helping us chose what path to take to find our own self.

Home is where we long and love for and it is always and always will be about what is inside our own self.

waterbuffalo:

I disagree.

I would argue that it doesn't matter what the author "meant" when he wrote his story. Whether conscious or not on the author's part, his work is an illustration of a particular worldview that is worth examining.

By the way, when you say that a "good story is meant to be enjoyed for itself," you're saying that the appeal of a story is on a primal, emotional, intuitive level, where it should stay. But beyond that purely emotional response is a set of assumptions about life. How we construct meaning from a text has a lot to say about how we perceive reality. If it's on a purely emotional level, with no other awareness than whether it pleases or disgusts you, without knowing why, you may run the risk of drawing conclusions that are disordered, ill-informed, illogical, and possibly downright harmful. Every time any of us interacts with a text, a transaction is taking place. And there are some very slimy salesmen out there who are pitching a worldview through their "art" which on examination may not reflect your values at all.

I understand what you're saying about "expert's sounding important" and "projection." Instead of dismissing the entire field of literary criticism, though, I would suggest becoming a critic yourself. For instance, ask yourself if you like the main character. If so, why? If not, why not? What kind of a person is she? What does she believe about life? Who are the minor characters, and why are they there? What is the significance of the setting? The images? The historical context? From there you'll be able to answer questions like: What is the basis for morality? The meaning of history? The purpose of existence? What is beauty, truth, goodness? How do these larger issues play out in a text? The fact that the writer has already elicited an emotional response from you, be it positive or negative, means you've already made some conclusions about the text. Examine those reactions.

I wish I knew this stuff the first time I picked up the Blue Book.

[This message was edited by laleo on January 28, 2004 at 20:12.]

quote:
Originally posted by waterbuffalo:

Laleo,

Agree to disagree.

You just reminded me why I didn't get my degree in English. LOL!

WB

Hey, I'm glad I was able to offer a little validation. I think you made the right choice, whatever it was!

But I'm disappointed. I was hoping you would weigh in on Plotinus' thread and offer your insight into Auden. Now there's a poet's brain you can pick.

Hey, I'm glad I was able to offer a little validation. I think you made the right choice, whatever it was!

But I'm disappointed. I was hoping you would weigh in on Plotinus' thread and offer your insight into Auden. Now there's a poet's brain you can pick.

Laleo,

Thanks, you did indeed validate my choice, and that means a lot to me because I am going back to school soon and English was one thing I was considering for a Master's program.

As far as picking anyone's brain, I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. Actually, I really ENJOY sitting around and talking about literature and listening to what everyone says that they got out of it. Also, if a lot of people got a lot of different things out of one piece, that just means (to me) that it is even more of a masterpiece.

My only point is that when some scholars say that they are the authority about what an author meant, I say, "no way." Only the author knew what he meant to say and if he doesn't make that clear in an interview or something, then what all the "experts" are saying about it is just their opinion, which they are entitled to, but I don't think they are entitled to say that their opinion is necessarily what the author meant.

Hope that cleared things up. I really wasn't trying to derail or anything because I love to discuss literature.

WB

"[if] there were none who were discontented with what they have, the world would never reach for anything better." Florence Nightingale

waterbuffalo,

Thanks for the clarification. Your other post did seem just a little abrupt, so I appreciate the explanation.

Regarding your second paragraph: Me, too. And I agree.

Regarding the scholars, I don't think too many scholars are doing that, unless they're staying true to the PFAL teachings, despite what they learned in grad school.

What I meant about picking Auden's brain is that he strikes me as the sort of poet that deciphering his intent would be a challenge in itself, probably even more so than what a particular reader might get out of it for himself. But I won't belabor the point since you've already decided on another major. Which is . . . ?

Also, you didn't derail at all. Your comments are welcome. Thanks for adding your thoughts.

Top ten things I Should have Learned from Oz Before attending twig

10. Claim ignorance, even if it was YOUR house that killed the bitch

9. Don't go down a road just because a bunch of little freaks are tellings you to

8. Just because someone is giving directions doesn't mean that he knows THE WAY

7. Don't ever let anyone tell you you're not smarter than you think - you don't need no stinkeen certificate to prove it

6. You have the courage inside you all along

5. Don't let someone scare you into doing anything you don't feel confortable with, even if SHE does have a bunch of flying monkeys

4. Take time to stop and smell the roses, and take a little nap too if you feel like it

3. If you go knocking on strage people's doors, don't be surprised when someone bites your head off

2. The dog was the only one truely loyal

and the Number one thing I should have learned:

1. JUST BECAUSE HE SAYS HE'S ALL GREAT AND POWERFUL, DOESN'T MEAN HE'S NOT A FRAUD!!!!