GreaseSpot Cafe

Some questions about the new forum software

Jim

Paw,

I currently host a tech support forum that uses Ikonboard. I'm looking at doing some server changes and since Ikonboard no longer exists, it might be a good time to switch to new forum software. I'm going to ask some specific questions and if you don't want to answer them for security or other reasons, I understand.

Are you hosting your own server now? If so, what platform and what SQL are you using? How did the conversion go? Did you do it yourself or did the Invision people do it? Are you pleased with Invision at this point? Did you look at php board and if so, why did you choose Invision instead?

Thanks.

Jim,

sorry for the delay.... been working in the backroom.

I am on a hosted server now. It allows access to everything unencumbered. It is red hat linux and MySQL.

Before answering the conversion question, let me say that I went through many different forum choices. From the open source community to packages for sale. I narrowed it down to 2 packages, Simple Machines Forums and Invision.

Both had conversion packages for many of the popular forums out there. Neither had a conversion kit for Infopop, our former forum software. So that led to custom conversion, which requires a working knowledge of PHP and MySQL. I finally decided on Invision's package for a number of reasons, one it has a lot of versatility; it is in active development; it is reasonably priced and it isn't obtuse in it's design as was Infopop.

Thusfar I am very pleased with it. Infopop was always sluggish and that was one of a number of issues that I constantly fought with Infopop. It does require a learning curve as it is much more complex than forums such as PHPBB (I am not sure if this is what you are referring to or another board.) One of the driving forces was being able to handle volumes of posters in an efficient way.

Does that answer your questions? I'd be happy help out with any other questions that you have.