GreaseSpot Cafe

Daylight Saving Time

Brother Speed

To answer your question: He was born in Kearney, Missouri. He was shot unarmed at his home in St. Joseph, Missouri (under the assumed name of Tom Howard.) He was standing on a chair, straightening a picture.

I could be wrong knowing the untrustworthiness of history.

I personally believe that Jesse James was retaliating against big Army for his stance on the Civil War. Big Railroad got robbed for transporting big Army money. Big Army and Big Railroad branded Jesse an outlaw.

History states that the Pinkertons were called in to capture Jesse, but failed. A reward of 10,000 was then offered. Friends of Jesse, Bob Ford and his brother Charlie couldn't put the reward out of their minds, so they collected. Bob and Charlie were charged with murder trying to collect the reward then sentenced to hang but pardoned by the governor.

I believe shenanigans were at play. There was no genuine reward, but a ruse to flush out Jesse masterminded by Big Army and Big Railroad.

Moral of this story: Don't mess with Big Army nor Big Railroad.

By Golly I think you are absolutely RIGHT. Just recently the local News Crew were in St. Joseph MO, where they were having this celebration and that is exactly the story they told on the News one morning. I was fascinated -- for I had never heard the tale. St. Joseph has a Museum about it. The Museum is in fact that very House, although I believe they moved it to a different site. A woman was being interviewed by the News Crew, who is Jesse's grand-daughter (or great-grand-daughter), the exact 'relationship' escapes me just now. The entire story is quite interesting. Thanks for sharing!!

I live in Independence MO, and have only been here 2 yrs - but I'm learning tons of things about MO.

Harry S. Truman was from here, and I hear LDS tell us that Jesus Christ himself is planning on setting his feet down here. WOW.......