GreaseSpot Cafe

Serenity

LG

Anyone seen it? My daughter says it's good. If I can get the time, I'm probably going to see it today.

I saw the DVDs of the short-lived Firefly TV series. I thought it had lots of potential. If the movie is as good, I'll enjoy it.

I saw it. It was pretty darn good.

People who liked Firefly should like this a lot. People not familiar with Firefly may have trouble following parts of it, but if they like the genre, they'll probably like Serenity.

I didn't even know about Firefly until two years after it had been cancelled. I'd have been ticked off if I had known what Fox did with that series, too. Apparently they didn't promote it much, ran it at odd times, and possibly most importantly, ran it out of order, starting with what was supposed to be episode 3 or 4, without ever having aired the pilot episode. With all that going against it, it's no wonder it didn't pick up enough of an audience for Fox to keep it going. I don't know if it would have anyway, but it never got a fair chance. That was a shame, because it had the potential to be one of the great SF-fantasy series. Wheadon had time to introduce and just begin to develop some potentially great characters, a "universe" with all sorts of interesting possibilities, and some fascinating story lines that could be developed. Of course there were some nits that could be picked, but that's true even with universally acclaimed classics.

Back to the movie. Because I had seen Firefly, I had no trouble following it, but it seemed rushed. There was enough in the movie to provide a story arc for three good seasons of television. Although I enjoyed it, I also felt disappointed, because I'd much rather have seen the story told in a series, as had originally been intended. I can't say much about why, without giving out spoilers, so I guess I'll just shut up.

I recommend both the Firefly DVDs and Serenity.

Edited by LG

I was ticked off when FOX cancelled Firefly. Joss Whedon has a lot of pull to get a movie made of a cancelled series. (Well, yeah, there was Star Trek; but it went three seasons, not eleven episodes!)

I haven't seen Serenity yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

George

He had Wonderfalls, that was cancelled after 3 episodes (the DVD has all 13). I really liked that show. They always cancel the good ones and keep the bad (reality) ones.

Hubby and I went to Serenity last night. We both enjoyed it very much. Hubby was surprised he liked it so much, he is not big into action adventure sci fi movies, but this was written with lost of humorous one liners, very well placed.

I'm a big Joss Whedon fan and was sorry to see all his TV shows end. Hopefully he'll be back on the small screne someday!

I (finally) saw it yesterday. I thought it was very well done, with all the characters in keeping with their roles in the series.

SPOILER ALERT!!

I was sad to see the "Shepherd" die, though his was a very minor role in the film. It was especially sad to see "Wash" die. I really enjoyed his relationship with his wife. I guess that viewers of the movie who hadn't seen the series wouldn't have felt the same way, not being as emotionally invested in the characters. Too bad they couldn't have added a couple of "red-shirt" characters to kill off, instead!

George

• 1 year later...