GreaseSpot Cafe

Setting up a computer for games for a young child

ChasUFarley

My oldest son (4 years old) is really getting into using the computer and although I have allowed him to go on the internet with my supervision, I would still like to limit his use of the computer to educational games that are not internet based, as it's not always easy to closly watch him (I'm afraid he'll go to hillaryduff.com or something). He's great with a mouse and starting to use a keyboard more and more. (I think his first sentence was "I want pbskids.org!")

Recently, at our local library, he played some games on the computer but it was set up so that the start menu, etc. were not accessable - only the icons for the installed games were visible on the screen - it wasn't internet based. I liked this because he wasn't able to set up his favorites or type in alternate URLs. I am considering using one of our old computers for him and setting it up in this fashion. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Well, I'm not sure this will answer the question, but its certainly a suggestion.

If you use a separate computer for your child to play games with, just be sure it is not connected via dial up or dsl -- then he will certainly NOT be able to get online to the www. The only way he could surf the net is if his computer was 'connected' and you had it set up with a web brouser and it had dsl or dialup hookup. As long as it isn't hooked up -- he won't be.

My son who is now 13, has games on his, we started him out with educational games, too.

He uses his X-box game system more than his computer now for 'games' - his computer is now assisting him with his homework studies. It is great!

If you could be specific about what type of computer you have questions on, then that might help.

I use to have a printing company, and I had both Macs and PCs.. What type of system do you have and what Operating System are they running? Mac uses OSX - but there are different versions of that now.

PCs are using Windows (98-whatever is current most likely).

There are many good programs out there for 'parental control'. If you go and 'google' parental control software, you can research this online yourself.

The main thing is -- to keep your child's computer free of 'internet connection' that way, there is no guessing whether he will end up on some chat room, or get some 'email virus'.

There are wonderful education software programs out there. When my son was that age he loved this series called "Pajama Sam" it was exciting, and clean educational entertainment. He then went on to other programs. DK makes educational games too that teach them Math, History, Science and more and prepare them for School. My son does extremely well in school, and I think the prime reason is because he started these 'computer game programs' at an early age. He is in 7th and still maintains all "As" and loves learning. You are on the right track for your son's future, just keep him AWAY from the blasted Internet, at least for now. In school they are hooking kids up and teaching them the 'right and wrong' of online gaming and searches that will help educate them. My son has NO desire to go into a chat room. If he wants to email a friend, he does it on my computer with my supervision at all times.

I hope I've helped in some small way.

Keep them protected from 'online preditors', that's my goal as a parent.

Blessings

Jeannette

Maybe I need to rephrase my question:

The Start menu, tool bars, etc. were not visible - the ONLY things on the screen were the icons for the installed games - that was it! I want to know how I can get that same look....

==============

WordWolf -

No, I don't use a kid-specific browser at this time because I am in the room with him - we have a 19" monitor and I can see (and hear) what he's up to at all times. Part of why I want to take him offline where he can only play installed games (software) is because I'm finding it hard to stay in the same room with him - as the baby is now starting to explore the house more. We also have an open concept house, so I can keep an eye on Kristopher from about anywhere (except the bathroom!).... :D

=============

Thanks!

Maybe I need to rephrase my question:

The Start menu, tool bars, etc. were not visible - the ONLY things on the screen were the icons for the installed games - that was it! I want to know how I can get that same look....

==============

ChasU --- In order to answer THAT question as I mentioned in my post earlier, you need to tell us what kind of Operating System you are running. Are you Mac w/OSX or running a PC?

You said you thought you ought to set up your son on one of your older Computers, and I think that's wise, but I can't help answer your question til I know what type of computer., and what Operating System you have.

With a MAC it is easy to put your games on the desktop and not in a folder, with a PC the way to do that is much different (again depending on the operating system) Windows 98 didn't have 'drag n drop' capabilities like the Mac, so once you figure out what your operating system IS, and computer type, Then I can attempt to help you....... OR....... you can go to your computer's Help and type in "How to put games on the desktop". OK

When you mention the Start menu, that sounds PC to me.....

My guess is that not all your computers are running in the same Operating System. For instance, an older puter might still only have Windows 95 or something on it and thats why you see a difference in the screen. OR there is a difference in your computer types. IF both are indeed PCs, then simply install on the old computer the 'upgraded operating system version' that you see on the computer that has the icons the way you liked them. (AM I helping?)

Perhaps your other computer was a Macintosh so you are seeing a big difference because of that?

I dunno. Am not lookin at your puters from here. So any specific info you can provide will get you the help you desire.....

:D

Edited by jetc57

Chas,

There is an unadvertised mode in Windows/Internet Explorer that is called "Kiosk mode" This allows you to set up just what you want accessible and disabling the start menu, I believe, is part of that mode. I have never tried it, but if you do a search for it, I am sure you will find info.

As far as on and off line, I will check online. There is a router that came out that allows you to "schedule" the online availability of individual computers on the network. It resolves some software related apps that children can easily overwrite.

I have a PC and the OS is Windows 98, I believe - it's one of our old computers that's just gathering dust, at the moment.

I've run a google looking for how to run Win 98 in kiosk mode. It's not looking too promising at the moment. It seems that CE is the best version for doing that, and XP seems to work, but it seems to slow down performance on Win 98.... I'll do some more checking around... It also seems that you can run Explorer in kiosk mode, but again, I'd think the tool bar, etc. would still be accessable...

:blink:

I love that kiosk mode feature. I never knew about that.

CHasUfarley, use a gaming console like Xbox or Sony Playstation or Ninetendo. They are beginning to outdo computer gaming and I have a feeling it is going to continue that way.

People always want to give their kids "the old computer" to play games on. But really gaming needs more resources and power than the parents modern computer. It's the other way around. A good graphics card especially and a lot of memory, not to mention a high res monitor is needed for games. And do not even bother with windows 98. It ancient for games.

XP is needed at a minimum with a minimum of a 64mb graphics card in my opinion.

But for younger kids why bother with a computer at all for gaming.

Edited by igotout

I have a 13 yr old 'Honor Student', he has lots of friends. I asked for HIS advice.

He plays some 'educational games' on my computer, and it works WONDERFUL --

He also has X-Box, Playstation and Ninetendo 64, with a slew of GAMES. I have NEVER seen any games that he could purchase for those gaming systems that were EDUCATIONAL, helping him with Math, Science, History or anything else. Pajama Sam was his and his friends favorites, course at 13 they out-grew that. We are talking about this guys 4 yr old son. The gaming systems are not even rated for that age, most of them..

I think (and I could be wrong) he wants his son to play computer games that will help him in his learning to read, write and do math, etc.

Son says, X-box now can and does hook up to the Computer for online gaming and to try out new stuff.

I agree about Win 98, and depending on your 'system resources' on that old puter, you might not have enough RAM or Cache or system memory to even play the games out now.

An X-box costs are less than a PC -- AND I wouldn't bother with PS2 or otherwise, These kids tell me that a major part in PS2 + goes out too quickly and costs are expensive to replace it., so most of son's friends left the PS system in the dust for their X-box or Game Cube.

The main objective for parents (IMO) should be keeping all children out of CHAT ROOMS., and Controlling where they can 'surf'..... My son only uses computer now for finding news articles or asking Jeeves something.

igotout --

I hear what you're saying becuase you've said it before on other threads. I've given this a lot of thought....

Here's why I want to let my kid use my old computer:

1. The games are as old as the computer. We're talking Blue's Clues, Dora the Explorer, etc. They were bought for that OS years ago. They're in age ranges appropriate for him (and his brother) for a couple of more years, at least. (And he's got the chops to use them without a lot of help from us - he's a sharp cookie on the 'puter!)

2. I don't want him on my computer because I need it for work. (And he will "fight" me for it!)

3. Kiddie websites are loaded with spyware. Fischer-price.com is the worst of them all! (That's why I don't want him on the web.)

3a. Kiddie websites are also loaded with more marketing than a box of cereal and Saturday morning cartoons - he gets the "gimmes" after being on the www - so I want to try to stop that....

4. I can easily upgrade the old computer, if I want to - I just haven't had the time or $ to do it.

5. I don't want him getting into XBOX, etc., because I would be worse than he is with a game (and hubby, who's a public school teacher, loathes game units - he calls those types of games "mental masterbation") Hell... I get misty eyed about early Atari game units - even the ones with the square joysticks!

6. Since the computer is outdated I'm not going to cry if he tips it over, get jam on the keyboard, or whatever - he's not a rough kid, but stuff happens. If he proves he can take care of it (and other things he's been given) maybe I'll upgrade him in a year or two to something better.

7. He's four years old - he doesn't need the latest and greatest. When he's older and using it for school, then I can see putting more $$$ into it. But for now... no way!

Let me put it to you another way...

Let's say you have a Dodge Viper with 8 miles on it, and a WOW car... which one are you going to let your 17 year old with a fresh driver's licence drive? ;-)

Edited by ChasUFarley

Awwww. come on Mom! Get him these for Christmas. He'll thank you and thank you and thank you and will call you the best mommy in the world.

http://www.quake4game.com/

http://www.half-life2.com/

And if you get him something like this to play them on I am sure he will adore you forever!

http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-gaming.asp

What do you say, mom?

A little "mental masterbation", as your husband call it, never hurt anyone.

Edited by igotout

Believe me - all of the above would certainly be on my wish list for Christmas. Afterall, Mommy has been very good this year and has gotten up at all hours of the night now for the past 9 months with some little monster... er... I mean.... loving son. And God knows I can't even take a moment to post on GSC because the little angel will get into the cat food...

But...

for some reason, Hubby thinks I want more jewelry.

Silly man! :biglaugh:

Gosh, have your hubby talk to MY hubby.

I get gifts that keep me working.

What's the most romantic gift I've ever gotten? hmm lets see....

Would you consider a crock pot ROMANTIC?

Electrick Broom?

Exercise Bike? Followed up by Candy?

Iron? Sewing machine?

Cute little stuffed animals that collect dust? And all cost less than $3

Me thinks I'm getting 'mixed messages'. Well, his birthday is coming the 20th of this month.

He will turn 52 -- Got any Suggestions for a Gift for HIM?

:offtopic: sorry