GreaseSpot Cafe

Music - - Who've you seen/heard lately?

jardinero

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmm....moi? lesseee...thanks for asking!

Ted Green - you can buy his CD here - HERE - Exceptional solo guitarist, jazz. Passed away this year. Something of a recluse, so this is about the only recording of him and it's reissued. Worth a listening. If you play guitar, your ears will be pleased. :) Ted's passing make sad.

Gerry Leonard - keep his "Spooky Ghost" release on and around. Check out "Spellbound". He's a guitarist who plays with quite a few well known artists. Unusual music.

Stravinsky, Rite of Spring. "Harbingers of Spring" is a favorite. Igor pretty much invented heavy metal in Rites, all the rhythmic stuff is there, without the bad hair. I've been going through the whole biscuit lately, a little at a time.

Greg Leisz - lap steel guitarist who plays with lots of solo artists. Check out "Santo's Dream" if you can find it. Truly amazing.

Little Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers - good ol' solid blues rock. Nice version of "Mercury Blues".

Studebaker John and the Hawks - ditto on the blues-o. Nice slide guitarist. Workin' man's music. Me work need music.

Julien Kaspar - electric guitarist out of the northeast. Unusual songs and music, electric rock style but very creative. Check out 'Home Time" for an idea of his sound and "Flippin' Time" for his be boppy electric thing.

Dougie Maclean - celtic, Irish folk music, 's all good.

Kings of Leon - guitar rock. If you watch TV you've heard "Molly's Chambers".

Erin McKeowin - female singer, guitarist, songwriter. Just like the sound of it.

Maia Sharp - female singer, very nice sound.

System of a Down, Merle Haggard, Hillsongs - pretty much anything they've got out there. James Brown, all the early stuff. Bootsy Collins, older Fishbone. Backstreet Boys. I know. I know. But there's some good songs there. Okay, be selective if you value your brain.

That's my IPod, pret' near.

Saw James Taylor earlier this year, he did some different tunes this tour. Great, as always.

Tower of Power and Cold Blood - one hot night at the Fillmore. If you need to feel good about yourself and who doesn't, check them out.

Edited by socks

Mstar????

:wave: Hi jardi..

Ive actually been playing with a few friends for my own entertainment lately--after work most days with a few other folks who meander into my shop after work with banjos, mandolins, and fiddles and things. It usually tends toward oldtime or bluegrass type stuff, but anything can happen and sometimes does depending on peoples moods. There is one great fiddler , who is classically trained , a couple good mandolinists and a bunch of good guitar players. We all hack away at the banjo, or whatever else is around.

It sort of reminds me of this scene from Rockwell which was actually painted just a few blocks away.. except we are little younger

rockwell_barber.jpg

I did see my favorite folkies Harvey Reid and Joyce Anderson twice this summer, Harvey is the consummate acoustic guitarist ( well he is amazing on banjo, mandolin, autoharp and just about anything else with strings too) and his wife Joyce is one incredible fiddler, Both are also good songwriters and they combine a respect for oldtime type stuff with tasteful new things

I saw a band called Ollabelle that plays rootsy bluesy gospel type tunes. I recommend them to anyone

I worked a Doc Watson show ---he is still absolutely amazing although he must be in his 80's

as far as what Im listening to Im on an old country kick right now for some reason listening to things from the 30's 40's and 50's that I never really listened to before ---Hank Williams, Jimmy Rogers, Carter family --there really is some amazing stuff in there that i never had afull appreciation of before.. I am also listening to any mountain music I can get my hands on, as well as devouring the early Bob Dylan stuff.(who I also saw this summer with Willie Nelson)

I dunno a strange, or at least different period for me musically--but its still fun

Edited by mstar1

Stravinsky, Rite of Spring. "Harbingers of Spring" is a favorite. Igor pretty much invented heavy metal in Rites, all the rhythmic stuff is there, without the bad hair. I've been going through the whole biscuit lately, a little at a time.

Isn't it great to be able to listen to that weird stuff without being debbil posessed. I never thought of Stravinsky being heavy metal, but you sure nailed it.

Listen to Bach's concertos for unaccompanied cello and see if you don't hear some decent jazz roots there.

Edited by Jim

Wow, good stuff.

Actually, I forgot, I did see someone in July - - Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straights / Nottingham Hillbillies fame). Not sure if his Shangri-La tour is still going on, but definitely worth the price of admission. Awesome talent - - gruff voice, quiet understated performance - - but you definitely knew you were sitting in listening to someone at the top of their game. He also played some cuts from Sailing to Philadelphia CD; cool stuff, too.

Had a chance to see an old video of Knopfler and Chet Atkins (Neck & Neck album) - - two masters; worth finding if you're also an Atkins fan as I am.

Socks, thanks for the Ted Green tip; sounds like my kinda jazz. I'll pass on the heavy sounds, but will check out Leisz - - sounds interesting.

Speaking of Taylor, I'm trying to get tickets to Carly Simon's concert here on 12/3 and their kids, Ben & Sally Taylor are opening for their mom. Should be fun to hear their sound.

likeaeagle: seems we like the same sounds :)

Mstar :wave:

Sounds like great stuff being played on the Appalachian Trail. Would love to be a fly on the wall for some of those sessions. David Miller would probably love to join you if he lived closer! I bet its a kick to listen to that old mountain music too. You are such a student of regional music. B)

Oh yeah, Socks - - speaking of Tower of Power -- I was catching up with my old Bay Area high schoo/college roommate who's now in Santa Cruz area - - her solo career is really taking off after years of opening for Tower and other good names; most recently Leon Russell. If you're ever heading south with time on your hands, check her out: Melanie Redman

J.

I'm going to check those out Jim. Cello has such a great sound. I like the music on a release titled "Apalachia Waltz" that has Yo Yo Ma playing on it. Nice stuff. I could see the similarity in that a big part of 'classical' composition is melodic development, variations, etc. :offtopic::dance: There's a great quote in Ken Burns 'Jazz" series where they're discussing what Jazz is. One of the people compare rock and Jazz and say - "rock finds a place and stays there. Jazz finds a place and goes somewhere".

I think that description carries both the strengths and weaknesses of both, although modern recording provides some assistance. Setting a groove and staying on it is what rock does. Good rock (I think) makes the statement, plays with it and repeats it enough to move you along. Then ends and leaves you wanting to put another quarter in the box to hear it again. Bad rock assumes you need to hear the idea 1,000 times before you really get it. :biglaugh:

Jazz gives the opportunity to make a statement and then compose around it, extemporaneously and develop that idea with others. So to that end I can see with melodic and harmonic depth in the music, Jazz does a blues-based version of what 'classical' composition does.

I think you'll like Ted Green, jardinero. My daughter saw him this year, a month before he died, at school. Apparently it was difficult to get him to come out in public for the workshop, took 2 years I understand. She said he did a rendition of "Blackbird" that was - if you get the CD you'll understand what he might do with that song and why teachers flock to him to learn. I was working on getting a lesson with him as he taught out of his home but he was unable to do it when I was in town. :( I have all his instructional books, an original signed by Ted now, thanks to my daughter. He was a Well of Knowledge.

And Knopfler - great stuff. With Atkins, oh yeah! I love Atkins playing. A classic piece of fluff he did years ago titled "Copper Kettle" plays like another so-so version until he does his solo which he ended with a rip of a sweep arpeggiated run that was years before Van Halen got a hold of the technique. Wonderful stuff.

Along those lines I'd always recommend a trip to see Kenny Burrell, who plays in the San Francisco bay area sometimes. Seen him a couple times and it's always a joy.

As to Julien Kaspar, he's very difficult to categorize. He's a composer, that's for sure. He's very unique, mellow stuff is - well, you have to hear him. He's one of the few people I've heard (recorded) that I can't quite describe except that he's playing an electric guitar, a Stratocaster I believe.

My Girls have seen John Mayer several times, and I went to see him a few months ago. He's doing a trio on his latest tour and mostly playing blues tunes, backed by bass and drums. He's a good blues player, no question about it although I'm interested now in how he's going to incorporate it into his writing which is where he seems to be going. He doesn't seem locked into copying Hendrix or Vaughn or King forever, so he might be interesting to follow as he works it out.

:wave:

Edited by socks

Well now I won't shut up. For Melanie Redman, I've seen her name around and will check her out, I believe I've heard a tune of hers on KFOG up here. Thanks. :) I have to say Tower of Power and Cold Blood in one night was really nice. Tower's got this drummer, forget his name, plays quite well. And CB's got a sax player that's not bad either. :D But it's the kind of music that, if you like funk and rock, does it all. Great stuff.

You probably did hear her, Socks. She abandoned me in college to pursue her music career (go figure) and from about '74 on, she's been playing all over Oakland, Berkeley and SF - - and now around the Monterey Bay area. She's sending me her new CD, so I'll let you know what I think.

I'm with ya on the ToP FUNK :)

J.

Edited by jardinero

For "commercial" stuff, we've seen Aerosmith and Lenny Kravitz - Aerosmith did a lot of their second album Get Your Wings - and they haven't slowed down one bit - great show! This summer we got to see The Doors of the 21st Century (a revised version of The Doors, with Ian Astbury singing and someone else playing drums - John Densmore is in a legal battle with Robby Kreiger and Ray Manzarek.) Yardbyrds, and Vanilla Fudge were touring with The Doors of the 21st C.

In December we're going to go see a "local" musician - Ed Gerhard - http://www.edgerhard.com/

He plays some of the best classical guitar you'll ever hear - just incredible! He does true justice to classic Christmas music - there's just nothing like him. We try to see him each year in Portsmouth, NH for his Christmas concerts. The first time we saw him, he was with Martin Simpson - another guitar great. It was just music on a different level - like it just involved more that your sense of hearing - it was tangible, emotional, but not syrupy - you'd have to experience it to understand. Ed plays 6-string, 12-string, and Hawiian lap steel guitar, and some other obscure guitar-like (bazouki-like) instruments.

Check out the web site - make it to a show if you can. It's worth it and then some - you'll never have an experience like it again!

In December we're going to go see a "local" musician - Ed Gerhard - http://www.edgerhard.com/

He plays some of the best classical guitar you'll ever hear - just incredible! He does true justice to classic Christmas music - there's just nothing like him. We try to see him each year in Portsmouth, NH for his Christmas concerts. The first time we saw him, he was with Martin Simpson - another guitar great. It was just music on a different level - like it just involved more that your sense of hearing - it was tangible, emotional, but not syrupy - you'd have to experience it to understand. Ed plays 6-string, 12-string, and Hawiian lap steel guitar, and some other obscure guitar-like (bazouki-like) instruments.

Check out the web site - make it to a show if you can. It's worth it and then some - you'll never have an experience like it again!

Live music is great. :) So many styles of it to check out.

I saw Doyle LAWSON and BOB BLACK as well.

But nothing beats going to a local coffeehouse, and hearing them up close, and personal. :)

Edited by dmiller

I was thinking earlier I had been too busy this year to see too many performances, but one I did catch was at the Healdsburg Luthier's show this year. saw a few showcases and Don Alder performed. He's out of Vancouver Canada, an excellent finger style guitarist. He told me he works some in Washington and Oregon, so might be worth watching out for. He really plays well, using a percussive style of hammering on, and the body.

Also this guy, Tommy Emmanuel, an Australian finger style guitarist. He's fairly well known. I attended a workshop/performance he did, with my daughter and he was absolutely incredible. Very down to earth and approachable, open to discussing his stuff. Travels with his guitars, amp and mic system and completely manages every part of his performance gear, which he keeps very simple. A good CD is his latest, "Endless Road". His song "Man with the Green Thumb" is classic T.E. sounds, dedicated to Chet Atkins. :) Plus his playing, with the use of artificial harmonics in arpeggiated scales will knock you back. Watching him I realized he does it as well as it can probably be done. But he also said he's all about "the groove", he wants to entertain and make people happy. He had something of a "spiritual" quality about him when he played in that he was completely committed to the moment - with you along for the ride. Seemed to be a very giving person. Well worth whatever it takes to get to see him live, if you haven't.

Edited by socks

Hey dmiller, I'm checking out Compton with Michael Greier now. Nice stuff! "Black Mountain Rag". Love the sound of his mandolin, recorded really intimate on this one.

And speaking of - well, we could be, guitarists - if you need to check out some truly string stretching electric guitar, check out Harvey Mandell. AKA "The Snake". I've been following him since the 60's when he played with Charlie Musselwhite. He's played with a lot of people and still plays now with a band named "Nightfire". I want to catch them live.

ChasUFarley said

"This summer we got to see The Doors of the 21st Century (a revised version of The Doors, with Ian Astbury singing and someone else playing drums - John Densmore is in a legal battle with Robby Kreiger and Ray Manzarek.)"

Chas ........... The Doors are one of my all time favorite bands but with Morrison dying in 1971, they never got back together again until a couple of years ago when the did a tribute on VH1 or MTV can't remember which it was ...... anyway they had several different lead singer from different bands sing Morrisons role while Roby Kreiger and Ray Manzarek played along.

I had NO idea the doors were touring again and would love to see them ......... do you have a tour schedule? or know where I can find one?

I find it interesting that Densmore is battling with Manzarek and Kreiger because he didn't start with the band in the very beginning, originally it was just the three Morrison, Manzarek and Kreiger. I always believed that Kreiger was very talented, not just on guitar, but he wrote several of there songs that hit the charts "Love me Two Times" was written by Kreiger.

Anyway would love to know where to find there itinarary.

Digi

I saw Paul McCartney about a month ago and have tickets for Neil Diamond next month, as well as for The Nutcracker. (We see the Nutcracker each year.) This was my second time seeing Paul McCartney and will be my second time seeing Neil Diamond. These are both fabulous shows - I'm so excited to be able to attend these. These are the two shows I chose to see.

This past year I've also seen Toby Keith, Rascal Flatts, Leann Rhymes, Leann Womack, Scooter Jennings. These were all great shows, but not my personal picks. I went because others whom I love wanted to go. I had a great time at all those shows.

In the car I listen to mostly CD's. Right now in there are Bruce Springsteen, John Hartford, John Prine, Dr. Hook and The Medicine Show, Simon and Garfunkel, Billy Joel, Elton John, Neil Diamond, James Taylor, Norah Jones, Toby Keith (Best of 2), Eric Clapton Unplugged, Jerry Jeff Walker, and a few instrumental Praise and Worship CDs.

Around the house I usually listen to John Hartford and John Prine, Lately I've been listening to John Hartford's son, Jamie and his band. They're dynamite rhythm and blues. I've been known to play the Elvis channel on the Dish Network on occasion for an hour or so. It reminds me of a station in FL I used to listen to almost every Sunday morning. They played an hour of Elvis and then a couple hours of Beatles. Every Sunday! It was great.

Mstar - you got to work a Doc Watson show? Lucky you! I love his stuff! I've seen him about 8 or 10 times over the years, all before Merle died. I'm so glad to hear Doc's still doing so well.

On road trips we alternate between our own CDs and XM Radio's 60's and 70's stations. Sometimes I even get away with some of their bluegrass station for a little while. B)

Don't laugh, I think the last concert I went to, was none other than John Denver. When I'm putting around my house or out driving down some country road I always have music playing, the majority of it being country..................Paul Brandt, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Buddy Jewell (Sweet Southern Comfort), Eagles (Peaceful Easy Feeling and Take It Easy) and as of right now, Keith Urban. I listen to other kinds of music as well but my heart is definitely into the good old simple country love songs, the positive ones that is!!

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

John Prine???

One of my favourites ---

Please Don't Bury Me...

Woke up this morning

Put on my slippers

Walked in the kitchen and died

And oh what a feeling!

When my soul

Went thru the ceiling

And on up into heaven I did ride

When I got there they did say

John, it happened this way

You slipped upon the floor

And hit your head

And all the angels say

Just before you passed away

These were the very last words

That you said:

Chorus:

Please don't bury me

Down in that cold cold ground

No, I'd druther have "em" cut me up

And pass me all around

Throw my brain in a hurricane

And the blind can have my eyes

And the deaf can take both of my ears

If they don't mind the size

Give my stomach to Milwaukee

If they run out of beer

Put my socks in a cedar box

Just get "em" out of here

Venus de Milo can have my arms

Look out! I've got your nose

Sell my heart to the junkman

And give my love to Rose

Repeat Chorus

Give my feet to the footloose

Careless, fancy free

Give my knees to the needy

Don't pull that stuff on me

Hand me down my walking cane

It's a sin to tell a lie

Send my mouth way down south

And kiss my foot goodbye

Repeat Chorus

:)

Sounds like great stuff being played on the Appalachian Trail. Would love to be a fly on the wall for some of those sessions. David Miller would probably love to join you if he lived closer! I bet its a kick to listen to that old mountain music too. You are such a student of regional music. B)

And it would be a treat to be there!! There is no finer feeling anywhere, than there is walking into a jam session instrument in hand and seeing others already swatting out tunes, and seeing them move around so you can join in. B)

Live music is the best, and (these days) I go to performances that I can sit in on, and they are never the big name folks. I like local. I like regional. I like simple. It's great if I can sit in on the fiddle, and pick along. :)

Mstar -- what a great photo! Backroom of a barbershop --- man -- does that bring back memories!!

OH YIKES!!! :o

Can't believe I missed this thread....

Well.. oh my oh my... music... yikes again

OK.. new names I've heard lately

Attended the Montreal Jazz Festival this summer...

2 names that I heard that did it for me musically

Ruthie Foster - bluesy, folksy, spiritual, r&b MOVING TO SAY THE LEAST!!!

Ray Lamontagne - Amazing!!! Opening for John Mayer now.

Amos Lee - Just saw him in Vancouver... Opened for Dylan and John Prine this year and Norah Jones all last year.... Norah, her bass and guitar players all play on his debut album...worth checking out.

Also... Mary Lou Williams - she's passed away in '94 i believe .... my hubby is a junkie right now for her stuff... she's a legend in the jazz pianists' world.

ummmmmm..........

oh from Vancouver BC.... The Be Good Tanyas

Eva Cassidy was introduced to me about a year ago....she passed away a short while ago at the of 33... her stuff is moving.

Kate Rusby for anything Celtic

and ....

and...

and....

I could go on and on and on and on .....

OH OH OH

Gotta tell you this one... on Saturday night went out to see this guy Denis Moreau who was a university friend of my brothers... well... he's doing the gig thing and selling his cds.

He's bluesy, does Hank Williams, Dylan, The Band... you name it... very good guitarist and harmonica player

Well, he stayed at my parents place while he had a gig here locally.

Yesterday I went over to my parents...and there's Denis in the livingroom...playing, my mom on her mandolin and the jam session started.... that was about 2:00 pm

Then later on my sister joins us and her husband... she did some singing, her husgand joined in on the guitar and the jam session went on til 9:30 - 10:00 pm...we stopped to eat and started right up again...what a hoot.

I felt like I had my own private concert...we all did. This is what he's wanting to do next... private home concerts. Should be interesting...his sound certainly is condusive to this environment.

He played The Weight by The Band... I swear....it was better than the original! (and I say that with all the respect in my soul for my fellow countrymen - The Band!)

Thanks for letting me blither ...

J ... great thread!

Edited by A la prochaine

Sounds like great stuff being played on the Appalachian Trail. Would love to be a fly on the wall for some of those sessions. David Miller would probably love to join you if he lived closer! I bet its a kick to listen to that old mountain music too. You are such a student of regional music.

And it would be a treat to be there!! There is no finer feeling anywhere, than there is walking into a jam session instrument in hand and seeing others already swatting out tunes, and seeing them move around so you can join in.

Live music is the best, and (these days) I go to performances that I can sit in on, and they are never the big name folks. I like local. I like regional. I like simple. It's great if I can sit in on the fiddle, and pick along.

Mstar -- what a great photo! Backroom of a barbershop --- man -- does that bring back memories

Well Dave, Jardi --anyone --you are always welcome if you are in this neck of the woods

Its agood way to end the work day --afew beers --maybe someone is cooking something on the grill, some folks playing darts and people plucking away on all sorts of instruments and trading songs. I find it amazing the great and obscure songs that everyday people carry around inside them, its a heckuva a lot of fun to listen, join in, or just make things up as you go..

Nobody is 'great' but there is nothing better, to me at least, than live music thats springs authentically from the moment

Edited by mstar1