GreaseSpot Cafe

Music - - Who've you seen/heard lately?

jardinero

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Lesh!...You got my attention.

Hate to sound like an old hippie, but Jerry Garcia's guitar work still amazes me.

The last live performance that REALLY impressed me was a few years ago...saw Ray Davies (singer for the Kinks) and another guy (can't remember his name) doing a two man show...a lot of acoustic stuff...always loved his unique voice.

The BLUES! Yes indeedy...the time I spent in radio as a program director for a public radio station introduced me to a LOT of different kinds of music...love the blues! So many great performers.

Oh yeah - when you say blues, jazz, pop - Lou Rawls comes to mind, folks.

Lou Rawls died last Friday. Any Rawls fans? His site has this message -Memorial Message

I've so enjoyed his singing and music since I was a teenager. I remember sitting in friends living room when I was 16, 17 years old, learning his version of "Tobacco Road". His range was so broad, and his sound so expressive. His voice changed some in later years, but the quality and class were always there.

One of our favorite songs of his is a pop tune, kind of a dance thing but very characteristic of how he could take words and wrap his deep voice around them in that strong but gentle grip of his and make them sound like he was singing them right to you. He makes it sound like, yeah...... :) It's title is "Lady Love", and here's a link if you want to listen to it. The lyrics sound like dictation, from me to mine. :redface2: (But she knows that). :)

Click and Download or Save.

Dedicated to the Ladies, from Lou...

Lady love

LOU RAWLS

(V. Gray - S. Marshall)

Lady love, your love is peaceful

Like the summer's breeze

My lady love, with love that's tender

As a baby's touch

You give me all of the things

That I need so much

You're my world, lady love

Lady love, your love is cooling

Like the winter snow

My lady love, with love that's cozy

As a fire's glow

And I keep on needing you, girl

A little more and more

And I thank you, my lady love

You know, it's not easy to keep love flowing smooth

People are people and they all have their moods

But it's so nice just to have someone like you

Who wants a smooth and easy thing

And all the good times that it brings

My lady love, you've been with me

Through all of my ups and downs

My lady love, I once was lost

But now with you I'm found

You got the love I need

And I want to stay around

Heaven sent you down, my lady love

Let me tell you that it's not easy to keep love flowing smooth

You know, people are people, they all have their moods

But it's so nice just to have someone like you

Who wants a smooth and easy thing

And all the good times and the joy that it brings

My lady love, you've been with me

Through all of my ups and downs

And my crazy turn-arounds

My lady love, you got the love I need

So stay around

Heaven sent my lady love

Lady love, sweet lady love

You are so good to me

Lady love, like a warm summer breeze

(So glad I found my lady love, lady love)

(so glad I found my lady love, lady love)

Edited by socks

Well I thought this was good news:

Robert Johnson to get Lifetime Achievement Grammy

About 70 years too late -but better late than never..

BTW- have any of you listened to Blind Willie Johnson?

I dont know how i missed him but a friend lent me a CD about a year ago and he has to be the best slide player that I have ever heard. I admit I didn't quite get it at first but by about the third time through I was mesmerized. It is amazing to me what came out of the deep south in the early part of the last century...

I read his story, and although bluesmen are supposed to suffer,the amount of suffering in Willies life was bordering on ridiculous.

In the 70's when Voyager was launched by NASA it included records and sounds of earthly existence in case one day it is found by creatures of a distant world. It had music on it-Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and... Blind Willie Johnson. It just left the solar system in the middle of last year.

Of all the things in history that could represent humanity I think that it was forward thinking of NASA to choose Blind Willie

• 6 months later...

Johnny Lingo:

Well gee, lemme see. The brand of harps I like the most is "M. Hohner". Hohner is a German company, and makes many many different models, including the "Hohner Marine Band" which is a diatonic harmonica. In fact, the very first harmonica I ever played was a Hohner Marine Band-Now that's a funny name, for, have you ever heard the United States Marine Corps Band do "harmonica songs"? Must be a history there I don't know about, yet...

It has been 4 months shy of a year since you posted this. But considering you like the harp, you may be interesting in reading about a friend of mine. She is real good.

Check out her website www.genevared.com.

You can google search her.

FYI

Enjoy! :)

• 1 month later...

I got here a little late so i've got some catching up to do. I saw Daniel "Slick" Ballinger recently and it was as a show to remember. It was what Taj Mahall calls "Black church on a Sunday mornin'". North Mississippi hill country sound. One of the Kimbro sons was in the band. The whole show focused around his excitement to have "found" THE LORD. His enthusiasm was more than infectious, and there was plenty of hand waving and dancing in the aisles, not to mention what apowerful slide player and vocalist he is. Try to imagine a 15 minute rendition of THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE that had on their feet , shouting and dancing. Some performers work hard to fill the stage. Not Sick; the stage could hardly contain him. Not too shabby for kid that's only 22 or 23 years old.

CA DREAMING-------GENEVA RED------Yes indeed!----- Prove positive that the Mississipi saxophone ain't gender biased. -----Another very cool lady harper to check out if she comes your way is "Little" Annie Raines. Very warm tone, and big thick sound. Works out of Boston with Paul Rishell as aduo and has done work for Susan Tedeschi.

• 4 weeks later...

Great shows always seem even better when you share them with good people.I met up with Chatty Kathy and her Hubby last night for just such a memorable event. No weenies to roast but plenty of bbq ribs and pulled pork "samiches"as well as a good time just chewin' the fat.

Back to the show: Magic Slim hit the stage like a grissly bear that just escaped his cage.This was hard drivin' blues at it's best with no unneccessary filler. Slim plays with finger picks in a style that harkens back to Muddy Waters but without the bottleneck. His intensity level and connection to the crowd would be hard to duplicate. He was joined on his last number by powerhouse vocalist Big Time Sarah and Roger"Hurricane"Wilson. Roger plays a very clean and crisp style of guitar much in the way the late Rory Gallager did. Very fine work, indeed.

Local harp man Mike Gilliland also left his mark with a harp and vocal style that was thick and straight to the point. It was easy to see he's been inspired by the late, great Sam Meyers. He stomped through Little Walter material like he owned it.All in all the day seemed to fly by much too quickly.

Sounds like a good time was had by all!

Wonderful.Thanks for sharing

Great shows always seem even better when you share them with good people.I met up with Chatty Kathy and her Hubby last night for just such a memorable event. No weenies to roast but plenty of bbq ribs and pulled pork "samiches"as well as a good time just chewin' the fat.

Back to the show: Magic Slim hit the stage like a grissly bear that just escaped his cage.This was hard drivin' blues at it's best with no unneccessary filler. Slim plays with finger picks in a style that harkens back to Muddy Waters but without the bottleneck. His intensity level and connection to the crowd would be hard to duplicate. He was joined on his last number by powerhouse vocalist Big Time Sarah and Roger"Hurricane"Wilson. Roger plays a very clean and crisp style of guitar much in the way the late Rory Gallager did. Very fine work, indeed.

Local harp man Mike Gilliland also left his mark with a harp and vocal style that was thick and straight to the point. It was easy to see he's been inspired by the late, great Sam Meyers. He stomped through Little Walter material like he owned it.All in all the day seemed to fly by much too quickly.

Waysider, what was the other guitarist name, the one that Hurricane Wilson kept saying "let's get that guy that was playing the guitar earlier up here". :)

It was a wonderful show, and the company as well! I'd of loved to have gone into that blues club and listened to them afterwards but can you imagine trying to get in there. :blink:

• 9 months later...

Thought I would bring this one back up because the festival season is in full swing.

This weekend I saw Deanna Bogart. What an extraordinary musician as well as an amazing entertainer.

Ever see performers do the audience walk?

Deanna took it to a whole new level.

She danced with fans and even started a congo line, all the while continuing to blow really wicked saxophone.

But wait, there's more.

At one point, she disappeared but could still be heard due to the wireless mic.

Everyone wondered where she went and then suddenly she appeared in the open, second story window of the bar across the street.

As she made her way back to the stage, she encountered a member of a latin jazz band that had just finished a set on another stage.(Still blowing away on that sax.) He had one of those shaker percussion instruments and soon found himself up on stage as part of the song. Mind you, the music(or party) never missed a beat through this whole song.

Lots more, but the question is:

"Who've YOU seen/heard lately?"