GreaseSpot Cafe

Music - - Who've you seen/heard lately?

jardinero

Why, my pleasure, bra'.

Speaking of music - Link Wray died earlier this month.

Talk about a guy carrying a BIG STICK.

He did a lot of music over the years, but he had one song - one tune,

one statement he made that rocked the music world for all time. Literally.

"Rumble".

Some artists are known by their output, the number of songs written,

recorded, performances, awards received. Link wrote and recorded one

and that was that. Lesson over. Last one out turn off the lights cause

we're done. That's a very unique contribution to have made.

If anyone's never heard it, you need to. It's one of the songs that defined

rock and roll. It's only got 4 chords and one scale. Turned up loud enough

you can hear every rock song that came after it echoing in the long spaces

between those chords.

He said later he made the loud, distorted guitar sound by punching holes in the

guitar amp speakers with a pencil. The "solo" section is him grabbing the top

3 strings of the neck at the 12 th fret and ripping away at high speed over

and over. It's such a simple statement of intensity that it's hard to imagine

anything else in that spot.

It's the perfect song.

"Power chord", "punk", "metal", "shred". Link invented them all with this one

song. He hit the ball that went over the fence that's kept going year after year

with Rumble.

Rumble. It's a weird name, but it's the only name that would have fit it. Just

hearing it the first time I knew instantly what Link meant - no idea who he was,

where he was, what he was doing on the guitar or how he did it, but I "got it".

Link Wray and the Ray Men. Very 50's name, making music that would be listened

to 50 years later. I have no doubt it will be around for a long, long time.

Link - sleep gently. To that future gig - :wave:

Edited by socks

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to see the Paul Winter Consort's Solstice Celebration at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC next week. Ive been wanting to go to this concert for years but each year by the time I remembered to look it was always sold out.

I got prompted by another GSer, we got lucky on the seats and we are going together.

This too promises to be an 'experience'

Edited by mstar1

I enjoyed a wonderful concert at the Mansion in MIddletown, NY - "friends of music" hosted Harvey Reid and his wife who played folk music for 60 of us (sold out). It was a beautiful venue and the local garden club had decked the place out for the holidays quite nicely. An enormous Tiffany stained glass window adorned the stair-well which led to the delicious pastries and coffee/tea during intermission. The combination guitar and fiddle and the blend of their voices was just lovely - and i must say, this concert beat out a lot of the big name concerts I've attended in the past. Nice way to spend the weekend. We stayed at the old resort - Mohonk Mountain House (much like the resort in the 'the shining') after the concert - all my senses were stimulated. :)

I saw on MTV a whole string of Van Halen videos one after the other. I had always heard that Eddie Van Halen was a great guitarist, but, since I was involved in The Way throughout the eighties, I didn't pay much attention to them or any other secular bands for that matter. I listened mostly to JN, Branded, Takit and other ministry bands.

But anyway, that Eddie Van Halen is/was awesome! And, he seemed so thrilled and happy and energetic while he played, always smiling it seemed. Man, now that is what I would call "having a really great time!" The only guy in the videos that I didn't seem to like very much was David Lee Roth. I know that they all split up, but I don't know why. But I do see that Van Halen himself was the driving force of that band Wow. Socks, what do you say about that guy? A great player, yes?

I had to give away two very primo seats for the Neil Diamond show in Kansas City tonight.

The princess came home from school very sick with the flu yesterday. Today's the first day she's missed this year for health reasons. She's missed a few days for traveling, like one after the Weenie Roast, but none for being sick til now.

Fortunately, her piano instructor and his wife will be delighted to attend the show. These seats are 14 rows from the stage.

I'm glad I have memories of when he played Tampa a few years back. It makes it easier to be a good sport about this. :wub:

Jonny - I was dragged to a Van Halen concert back in my way daze. A co-worker bought me the ticket for a birthday gift. Van Halen was her favorite band and her hubby wouldn't take her or let her go just cause she wanted to. But when she told him it was to celebrate my birthday, he allowed it. I had heard of Van Halen, but had not experienced them.

I was absolutely shocked at how much I enjoyed their 1984 show! I even bought a Van Halen t-shirt, which got stolen out of the car while we were at a bar after the show. Madison, WI - what a great place to see concerts. The biggest impression I left with that night was that Eddie sure loved what he did and David Lee sure did jump around a lot - musta had ants in his pants. B)

Lets see. Here is what is on my portable music thing (in no certain order or preference)

David Axelrod - The Capitol Years ( producer for Lou Rawls and Cannon Ball Adderley who also wrote his own stuff - even released something under the Electric Prunes moniker "Mass in F-minor"

Sly&Robbie - Famous Reggae Rhythm Section who has backed many famous artists

The Brazillian Girls - Very sexy music (Note: There are no brazillians in the group but there is an argentinian)

Carla Bruni - More sexy music

Tommy Bolin - Guitar slinger type

Klute - "No ones listening anymore"

Kraftwerk - Music from Tour De France

Aphex Twin - "Druqs", "Come To Daddy"

Keith JArret - "The Koln Concert"

Soundtrak to the movie "Ocean's Eleven"

Caetano Velhoso - Live in Bahia

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies Tour DVD

Cirque Du Soliel - Varrekai

Curtis Mayfeild - "Curtis Live"

Tricky - Maxinquaye

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Buena Vista Social Club - (Ry Cooder introduces the World to some great Cuban musicians)

Bela Fleck and the Flectones

Eddie Van Halen? I've always liked his playing. There's a lot of humor in it in addition to speed-for-days, technique-a-go-go, style-cha-cha to bust the band. He made his own style and made it stick.

I always got a kick out of the fact that he made his own guitars too there for awhile. I read an interview once where he described how he did the paint jobs on them, it was Rustoleum right out of the spray can, or a similar brand. Ya gotta love that.

A lot of metal guitarists have a terrible, thin sound that's real mid-rangy and shrill. I don't know why, it's like the metal version of the tone Jerry Garcia had, which you have to spend 10,000 dollars and lots of Dead-Head development hours to get. (sorry Garcia fans, I ain't one). But EVH's tone had a name - the "brown sound". Very thick and manageable. He's got style and chops - he's the Chops-Meister.

He drank heavily for many years, not exactly a secret. That probably accounts for the smile he always had. But he has always been seriously committed to his playing and that counts for a lot too. Eventually the body gives out or just gives in. Better to give out, if you can stop and salvage what's left and rebuild. I've read he's had health problems, cancer. I would hope he'd get healthy and keep playing. It's definitely what he loves to do.

Edited by socks

Wow, Thanks for thr reply Socks. Yeah, I have really been behind the times on a lot of things, but, I trust your report. But man oh man, that boys' fingers could fly! And with "taste" too, as I call it. No doubt he is "paying his price" for his fame, but he was nice to listen to...

And hey, I have a son who is a budding guitarist. He has ac heap piece of crap Yamaha Strat copy that he plays the hell out of, but he doesn't know where to go "next". He's playing all of these manic heavy metal licks, with the "drop D" thing goin on, and, his fingers and rythym are really really good. But with me being "an old guy", I think I would like him to learn some more basics and such. Like the blues and such, where rock 'n roll came from. I know that you are an actual guitarist, whereas, I am not. I do play the guitar, but I am in no way an actual guitarist like yourself. Do you do any "online comunication thing" like hotmail or "myspace.com? He has his own site there, and I told him that you are an absolute master and that you'd be able to, at the very least, be able to give him some insight....

Anyhoo, take care Socks,

JL :)

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Yup - hey, I am a master of baiting, I know that cuz I love to fish!! :biglaugh:

You've got a shredder in the fam!

I'd be happy to - I'm always looking for/at guitars, if not fondling one at any given time. I practice 20 minutes a day following a practice regimen of material I'm going through, and usually play another half hour or more just doin' stuff. I'm not a shredder though, and there's some techniques there that I know and use but others I don't. But I would love to get with him, email, internet whatever works. It's what I love. GUITAR!

But if he's going to ride the dragonfly as I call it, he's going to need wind and he'll want to get specific with the metal speederster stuff. Frank Gambale is a Reigning Master of that stuff, and I think he has videos and or DVD's. Seeing the techniques really helps. I've downloaded some of his lessons and the guy's scarey. He's like - here's the lesson slow....now a little faster.....now up to speed......and that's always a kick to hear.

I'll be online later at home, maybe he can check in here and email me - go to the ruzic music site - this is a work in progress but I think I vacuumed and took out the trash this week so it should be presentable.

and there's some awesome sites he can check out - http://truefire.com/index2.html - Truefire has a lot of great metal lessons, some free or really cheap per download, like 25, 50 cents, that kind of thing. They're short, with audio and a downloadable print. It's really cool, I"ve downloaded stuff from there. Andy Ellis has a lot of good lessons on there, as well as many many guitarists of all style, including your sons. All he has to do is register and start checking it out. He can review most of the material too, which is what I do, just listen to lots of short clips for free.

My son plays some of that stuff and he can wear a pick down - and I mean an extra-heavy basss pick - to 3/4 size in a week or two. I crack up. These kids, by crackie!

Edited by socks

This thread sure seems fun!! I've not read the whole thing, but enjoyed what I read. The most recent "concert" I attended was Living Rhythms Drumming Choir, a local African drumming group of about 20 folks. AWESOME!!! No strings, but you'd think some were playing in the background.

Recently saw PBS Saturday night music....Ringo Starr & the Roundheads. I had a blast bopping around the den. They were having such fun on that stage. I like lots of the groups I see on late night PBS Saturday. An artist I've enjoyed the last few years is Natalie McMaster....a fiddler from Canadian.

Hmm......I dream at times of playing a fiddle in the hills...maybe someday..........

Hey there I Love Bagpipes! Welcome. Living Rhythms Drumming Choir, sounds cool! Where are they at?

Ring Starr and the Roundheads - I had to look them up. The Roundheads - Joe Walsh, Mark Hudson, Gary Burr, Steve Dudas, Jack Blades, Jim Cox, Simon Kirke, and Scott Gordon.

Not a bad band! :dance::dance:

PBS puts on some great shows. Seen Bruce Springsteen in the last week. Always check in on Austin City Limits when I'm in. There's a show called "Great Performances" think it is. Great stuff.

Welcome!

Mssr. Lingo, I'd recommend these guys for some modern blues background -

Muddy Waters - anything by Mr. Muddy. He's all about the Chicago sound. Knowing the name ain't playing in the game, a person's got to do the time and listen to this music. Waters and the Chicago musicians did a lot towards establishing the modern blues rhythm section sound, sort of a collaborative ensemble approach.

Jimmy Reed - Chicago sound, "r and b" but really, a blues style all his own. Without Jimmy Reed and Muddy Waters, the Rolling Stones wouldn't have a sound. His was like a really good barbeque sandwich and an ice cold beer - messy, stuffed with beef and sauce and that can be quality rated by the number of stains on your shirt when you're done. His music ranges from sublime simplicity to outright trainwrecks. Not easy to duplicate. Reed wrote his own stuff and co-wrote a lot of it with his wife Mary ("Mama Reed").

Albert Collins - take a right and head to Texas. Slick, had his "cool" sound using a Fender Telecaster. VEry distinctive sound, often copied, not always well. He capoed his guitar and used an open Eminor tuning and got sort a "snappy" sound using his thumb and fingers to pick. Using the capo on the electric made the strings mute a little too. Sort of set the stage for blues-guitar-slingers along with...

Buddy Guy - Louisiana. Has that funky southern sound. He's bumping 70 and looks 50, which ain't that old from this seat. :) Hendrix picked up on his style and used it rather well. Plays a black and white polka dot Stratocaster.

All the Kings-Albert, Freddy and...

B.B.

AKA

B.B.

Blues is really a snapshot of American industrialization and the population growth out of the south to the east, north and west.These guys are all out of the second generation of blues players, who learned listening to the earlier acoustic guys. Radio and then TV brought it all out to the masses.

The trick is to listen to it, and let it settle in. The playing these guys do and did isn't always that "advanced" once a guitarist has learned a few scales. But there's qualities in the playing, subtleties, signature sounds and little things here and there that make them distinctinve and that's what a lot of guitaritsts lack and/or need to pursue - a "sound" rather than more notes.

They play with authority, ownership. If a player just grabs the notes they don't get the nuances of how they're played. Some of the technique was hard earned for these guys, as it can be for any musician and they play with the authority of someone who's earned the right to play it. I think that's what makes a guitarist listenable. It may sound like others but it's that personal stamp that come with time that makes it new.

Sack time!

Edited by socks

I dream at times of playing a fiddle in the hills...maybe someday..........

Well c'mon out to the hills when your ready-we can never get enough fiddlers out here--especially ones who appreciate Natalie MacMaster, there is something about those celticy rhythms that send me to lands and times that are long long ago.

I saw a musical 'solstice celebration' at the worlds largest Cathedral this week,(St. Johns in NY), very primal and compelling ancient yet modern music echoing throughout a magnificent space.

The Paul Winter Consort who I guess you could call World Music or maybe Earth Music with an entourage of excellent musicians from around the world. Renato Braz from Brazil, African drummers and dancers, and my personal favorite the Pokrovski Ensemble from Russia who sang 2000 year old Russian Folk Melodies (you may have heard some of their stuff on the intro to the TV' Survivor show)combined with the light progressive jazz influenced Winter Consort, and sounds of the earth ( wind , birds, whales, wolves howling etc.) put together more of an event or an experience than just a concert.

It was a genuine celebration of the return of the light after the years darkest days, something that has been going on since the beginning of time and has morphed over the millenia into various religious holidays. As much as I do like traditional Christmas and holiday music that is done well and originally, this transcended that avenue and musically tapped the universal aspects of this time of year

It is an annual event in NYC and something imo think that everyone should experience at least once in their life

Good rundown on the blues, socks.

Lincoln, where I've lived for 24 years, is a blues hotbed. The 'Zoo Bar', has been bringing national acts in here for over 30 years; it helps that we're on sort of a crossroads among Chicago, Denver, Kansas City and Texas.

Because of the constant influence of the giants, many of the locals have taken the blues to heart. Ever hear of Magic Slim and the Teardrops, socks? Magic (Morris Holt) is a journeyman Chicago bluesman who made Lincoln his home when he 'retired' a few years back.

The missus and I are going out Thursday night to see a local favorite: Electric Soul Method, a fusion of blues, jazz, funk, and some other stuff that I can't identify! They've been talking about touring the midwest, so check 'em out if they come to your town.

Thanks Oaks. Magic Slim, oh yeah. I saw him on TV awhile back. HOT. :evildenk: I'd like to catch him live.

Saw Magic Sam at the Fillmore in San Francisco a year or so before he died. GREAT player, very much in that Chicago sound. Died way too young.

I'll keep an eye out for the Electric Soul Method. :wave: They've got a nice site. Thanks for the tip!

I'm listening to some Robert Cray now.

"I'm in a phone booth baby,

Number's scratched on the wall.

I'm in a phone booth baby,

Number's scratched on the wall.

I'm new in Chicago, got no one else to call..."

Cray can spank that plank.

:dance:

Edited by socks

Thanks Oaks. Magic Slim, oh yeah. I saw him on TV awhile back. HOT. :evildenk: I'd like to catch him live.
He still tours, although he is allegedly retired. He was in Europe last year, and still plays regularly in Lincoln.

Magic is like royalty around here, and works a crowd like a politician.

A buddy and I had a bet one night that I could convince Slim that I had played in his band (I am NOT a musician).

At about midnight, we had consumed more beers than were good for us, and we approached Magic Slim, who was holding court at the end of the bar. I introduced him to my friend as if Slim and I were old buddies. I then dropped the following line:

"Hey Slim, I was just telling Collin here about the time I was playing with you down in Kansas City and my keyboards caught on fire, and those hookers had to put it out with fire extinguishers so we could go on with the show"

He looked at me, paused, laughed, and said he remembered that incident, and how funny it was!

A week later I was sitting at the bar during an open stage night. Magic Slim's brother Nick was getting ready to play, and noticed that his keyboard player was missing...and invited me to sit in. I had to gracefully decline. At least once a month for the next year or two Nick tried to get me to play with him. Despite continually refusing the offer, Nick and I became drinking buddies.

Last Christmas, my three sons met me at the before mentioned bar, Magic Slim and his brother were playing. My oldest son, who had not been much for blues when in his teens, mentioned how he had grown to like the blues and was a great fan of Magic Slim. As surprised as we both were that we liked the same kind of music, my son was even more surprised when Slim and Nick sat down at our table during the break, after Nick gave me a big bear hug. My son looked at me with wide eyes: "You know these guys?"

Just a few stories to tell the grandkids!

:biglaugh: That's a funny story! Oaks, I'd love to meet Magic at some point. He's quite a player.

Maybe Magic and Nick was pullin' your leg. :)

I would love to see Bela Fleck, sometime too! Victor Wooten is Mr. 5 fingers on the bass too.

Here's a blooz man story for you - I was a teenager, about 17 and playing in a rock band, "Rain", we did a lot of the current music and some blues tunes, few originals. We played 3rd billing with Albert Collins at a skating rink in, think it was Hayward (California) about 1967 or so. He was well known but not as widely yet as he would be. He was a sharp player to say the least and I'd seen him at a small club in Oakland just before this.

So we're out in the parking lot after we played the opening set and getting a breath of... fresh air and off a ways there's a big Caddie, windows rolled up and full of smoke. Out pops this huge guy out of the back, couple others, and I recognize Collins. He strolls over and slips a fresh pack of Pall Malls out of his coat pocket and snaps the pack on the back of his hand and asks if we have a light. Well, sure. I remember he had that kind of cool, polite vibe going, like he was at the top of his game and knew it.

So he goes to open the pack, from the bottom. He flicked the little flap open part way and pops a ciggie out and I light him up, staring at the pack. He looked very...mellow himself and he holds it up with this sly grin and says "Open it up like that, she always look like a new pack, hah ha huh". And he snapped it back in his hand and slipped it back into his coat pocket. I had a white Telecaster at that time, which was his guitar of choice of course and we talked Fenders for a minute and then he said "Gotta split. You know..." and he winked at me and said thanks and split.

Wish I had that Telecaster today!

Maybe they were pulling my leg...now that would be funny :biglaugh:

You are right about Vic Wooten...does he only have five fingers on each hand? Seems like more :spy: He does solo tours, as do the rest of the Flecktones, that weave in and out of the Flecktones tour. And how about his brother's synthaxe drumitar?

We went to see Electric Soul Method as planned Thursday; even after a long day of work, we burned up the dance floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Duarte, heard the name but not the music so I checked him out Oaks. KILLER stuff! Very nice. I will have to check him out. You've definitely got the blues music connection going, thanks.

Saw John Mayer Trio new years eve, in San Francisco. Nice gig, he was billed with Phil Lesh and friends, and it was quite a night to ring in the new year!

We caught Mayer when he started this tour last year, at the Fillmore in S.F. so it was interesting to see how he's progressing. The boy can certainly play the guitar and he's a good performer. He'd seem like a showboater if not for his youth and the relative innocence he projects. He's doing every blues trick in the book, and some of his own. He seems to know a lot of his audience may not be familiar with the blues history so he seems to really enjoy the role of educator, as it were.

Example, he did a tune, forget the title, and went into a whole Albert Collins section in the solo verses. Finger style snapping and popping, thumb and index finger stuff, had the style down cold. So he went to the front of the stage and actually started explaining what he was doing - "now this is the way Albert would do it, Collins, check it out...." and then he'd do some riffs and move through the technique. It was interesting, again, one reaction to that kind of thing might be "yeah and so what, that's not that big a deal, dude". But he did it very well and seemed delighted that he could throw that music out to an audience that A) might not know specifically who's it was, and B) that would enjoy it.

Plus, he's got the looks, the boy has the looks. 1/2 way through his set he took his song list and crumpled it up and said "that's enough of that, no list from here on out, we're just going to see where this goes". He tossed it out in the audience which caused a small squall of young girls grabbing for The Piece of John Mayer's Trash. :) Billed with Phil Lesh, this was an audience that would dig that kid of loose approach though, so it was a cool move. He's still very much in the blues rock realm so he was on solid ground.

I enjoyed it, plus he's got Steve Jordan drumming and Steve Jordan is a master rock percussionist. They've got their cues down, it's tight. The only thing he's still doing is verbal and visible cues with his bassist, which seems kind of lame, as he seems to make it very obvious that they're "winging" it. He's good enough at this point to do what he does, which is burn.

Phil Lesh - well, I'm not a fan of his/The Dead music, but they did some nice tunes, opened with "Not Fade Away" and didn't munch it up too much. In fact, there was a welcome absence of shoe-gazing noodling, and they kept it on track for most of what we saw. It has become rather mannered though. My wife commented afterwards that they always seemed to go into the same kind of spacey jam portions on every song and she was right - it had a very packaged feel. But we left about 12:30 and it was going till at least 2, so who knows what became of it after we left. Mayer was supposed to jam at some point, but we didn't want to wait.

Dat was dat!