GreaseSpot Cafe

Eyewitnesses:1977 to 1980. Your stories?

WordWolf

On 8/5/2006 at 10:41 PM, waysider said:

I am fairly certain the year was 1977.--------One Friday evening after evening meal in fellowlaborers we were told were were going to be honored with a special training session which was about to commence immediately. Just time for one cigarette or a trip to the restroom take your pick. This was not optional nor did we know about it when we signed up as has been implied on another thread regarding commitments. The introduction was very positive and laid the groundwork for an enlightening weekend. I do not recall the title of the "class" but it sounds very much like what has been described in the discussions of "momentus". AS the sessions progressed it became apparent we were in for an "I'm going to break you" type of scenario that typifies many peoples perception, or experience in boot camp. The 'instructor' was well known and his initials were J.L. There was screaming, there was face melting and the phrase "I think" was worthy of one very severe verbal lashing. "You either know that you know or your worthless foot doesn't belong here."One night and two long days of this worthless crap. Highlights included being literally locked in the building and made to sit in the dark with a mandate of what seemed at the time like hours. One of our beautiful sisters who was naturally prone to shyness,snapped under the pressure. she was then molded into what I call a Stepford believer and remained that way for the rest of her commitment. She moved on to WC after graduation. If you are reading this,kiddo, I mean no offence. I only mean that we thought you were pretty darn cool just being yourself. Imagine sitting in a locked building in rural America hundreds of miles from home with no way to contact the outside world and ordered to maintain complete silence. This 'class' set the precident for what would follow. One time we were awakened at 3 am and ordered to report to limb headquarters in 20 minutes. It was ahalf hour drive so you do the math. Again we sit in the dark for who knows how long in complete silence only to be told the program was cancelled. Get out when the sun comes up. The sun comes up and we are told revelation has changed : We are to stay but must walk a fine line if we are to continue. GOD is displeased with our past performance. It goes on and on and I hope I haven't bored anyone to tears.

I would have told them to go F-themselves, and left the field.  I can't believe that people would do that s--t to a bunch of young kids trying to do their best for God.  No wonder so many people left TWI!

13 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

I would have told them to go F-themselves, and left the field.  I can't believe that people would do that s--t to a bunch of young kids trying to do their best for God.  No wonder so many people left TWI!

The key to understanding why we put up with this is that leadership made it seem as if WE were the ones who were flawed, not them. We had to persevere to prove ourselves worthy. You probably had somewhat similar experiences in boot camp.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2005 at 3:07 AM, WordWolf said:

Yes, folks, we're looking at 1977-1980 this time.

Please share all memories of this time,

no matter how fuzzy or "trivial".

Refresher:

According to twi or history,

this stuff happened...

1976, the "College of Biblical Research" and

the "Way Family Ranch:Camp Gunnison"s land

was purchased by twi.

1977, the PFAL '77 is done live at Ball State University.

1977, Howard Allen and "Uncle" Harry Wierwille were installed

as Trustees on the Board of Trustees.

1977. Studies in Abundant Living #4 was self-published.

1977, Jimmy Carter becomes US President.

1978. the LEAD Outdoor Academy land was purchased

in Tinnie, New Mexico.

1978, the Camp David Accord is signed.

1979, Advanced Class '79 ran.

3-mile Island near-meltdown.

Iranian students storm their US embassy in Tehran.

1980, Jesus Christ Our Passover is published.

WW, IMO, JCOP was the best book TWI ever published.  I knew he didn't write it,because it was so well-written. The people who wrote it, worked hard on it, and wrote it from their hearts.  For once, VPW couldn't steal the work that others had done.  Thank God for small mercies.

On 8/28/2006 at 11:25 AM, andy Bear said:

Summer 1978 I took PFAL , enjoyed the best 3 months of my life . I never had open bible before TWI , so I believe everything they taught . We college kids , take the class then A bear would dance the night away. ROC 1978 , blue or red wrist band, still ask if was at the wrong place. . The sad part two people I new were deprogrammed , one was grabbed at the ROC 1978-hope . My understanding Peter S call his family said he was, WOW, and Janet D family could never understand how she happy working at copier place with college degree. This happens in central NY area 1978-1979 . I think that she went to see her family that when Janet was grabbed , very sad . It still remembers " Father Nept", old man at 25 , saying after taken the class I was still Jewish very strange!.

I got back a letter from TWI saying we notice yours scores for AV 79 class not as high we like then to be .you allow to go to the class: cost about $ 550- &525 for the two weeks The university saying we only charge about $250-275 We don't know what TWI does with rest of the money.

PFAL 1978 included the IM class 1-15 were taught two seeds, So now I knew my teacher that did not agree with TWI teaching was a seed boy, born of the devil . I was also told that V Pee may introduce MR seed Boy on stage at AV 1979, this had happened in the past . I would ready these things when it happen.

The fellowships were sweet In Ithaca NY 1978-1979 , I happy I took the class then. and move in with the other student grads.

I was very scared Bear when the " the seed of serpent part of class was taught. . It was no help we were told we could not be "born again of the wrong seed ". Being a newbee in 1978 this was scary stuff . :wave: .

Bear, you are so right about Janet D, and Ithaca having great fellowships!!  I also took the class in the Summer of 1978 in VA, Beach.  I went out WOW to Joliet, IL, and had a horrible year.  I went to TC3, in the fall of 1979.  Steve Z was our Area Leader, and he had just graduated from the Corps.  Personally, I thought he had a lot of contemp, for most of us.  But, the Ithaca Fellowships were great, and we ran a number of classes.  The believers in Central New York, were great back then!

On 8/5/2006 at 10:41 PM, waysider said:

I am fairly certain the year was 1977.--------One Friday evening after evening meal in fellowlaborers we were told were were going to be honored with a special training session which was about to commence immediately. Just time for one cigarette or a trip to the restroom take your pick. This was not optional nor did we know about it when we signed up as has been implied on another thread regarding commitments. The introduction was very positive and laid the groundwork for an enlightening weekend. I do not recall the title of the "class" but it sounds very much like what has been described in the discussions of "momentus". AS the sessions progressed it became apparent we were in for an "I'm going to break you" type of scenario that typifies many peoples perception, or experience in boot camp. The 'instructor' was well known and his initials were J.L. There was screaming, there was face melting and the phrase "I think" was worthy of one very severe verbal lashing. "You either know that you know or your worthless foot doesn't belong here."One night and two long days of this worthless crap. Highlights included being literally locked in the building and made to sit in the dark with a mandate of what seemed at the time like hours. One of our beautiful sisters who was naturally prone to shyness,snapped under the pressure. she was then molded into what I call a Stepford believer and remained that way for the rest of her commitment. She moved on to WC after graduation. If you are reading this,kiddo, I mean no offence. I only mean that we thought you were pretty darn cool just being yourself. Imagine sitting in a locked building in rural America hundreds of miles from home with no way to contact the outside world and ordered to maintain complete silence. This 'class' set the precident for what would follow. One time we were awakened at 3 am and ordered to report to limb headquarters in 20 minutes. It was ahalf hour drive so you do the math. Again we sit in the dark for who knows how long in complete silence only to be told the program was cancelled. Get out when the sun comes up. The sun comes up and we are told revelation has changed : We are to stay but must walk a fine line if we are to continue. GOD is displeased with our past performance. It goes on and on and I hope I haven't bored anyone to tears.

Bore me, hell no!!  I can't believe all that sheet happened to all of you!!  I would have taken my stuff, and left the field! I would have told JAL, to F-himself!  I think God was displeased with his performance!!  BTW, they didn't do that sheet to us in Boot Camp; I know I went to Boot Camp!! I can't believe that stuff like this was done to a bunch of young people trying their best to move The Word!!  What was he thinking, the jerk!!