GreaseSpot Cafe

Congrats to App State

Pirate1974

Congratulations to the Appalachian State Mountaineers, the pride of Boone, NC, 2005 champions of NCAA Division 1-AA football after an exciting 21-16 win over Northern Iowa last night. The first national championship in football at any level ever in North Carolina.

capt.tnjr10812170520.i_aa_championship_football_tnjr108.jpg

This is the way football national champions should be decided, on the field, not through the BCS b.s or a popularity contest or a computer ranking. Of course that would mean some teams would miss getting that exciting holiday trip to Boise or Shreveport or Mobile or El Paso. I guess it looks better for a team to say that they are champions of the Meineke Car Care Bowl than they didn't make the playoffs.

• 1 year later...

App State 49, Delaware 21

It's a three-peat for the Mountaineers in the Football Championship Subdivision (???) formerly known as Division 1-AA.

capt.344a5f85296840ff9247d96b1550db60.richmond_appalachian_st_football_ncjm104.jpg

Meanwhile the computer geeks have decided that LSU and Ohio State should play for the championship of the Football Bowl Subdivision formerly known as Division 1-A.

Oh well...

Well, it's nice to know that somebody missed me, Sudo.

I haven't been able to check in as much lately since my place of employment had the audacity to block access to message boards. The very idea!!! The wife and kids usually hog the computers in the evening.

I hope to get the chance to visit more in the near future.