GreaseSpot Cafe

Were You in Divine Design?

doojable

I have finally gotten the chance to return to my art. I am very thankful that I have found that I still love to do what I started out to do before TWI. How about you? Were you an artist? Are you an artist? Perhaps you have a link to show your work.

In any case - lets meet and talk.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter rides a Boogie board when she can - but sadly that is neither.

It is the edge of a pool. Isn't it funny how people see different things in one work of art? I guess that is why art is important - because it speaks differently to all of us.

OK now someone else needs to post some work - I have lots of work to post but this topic isn't about me - its about those of you out there who have something to say in a picture - any great photographers out there?

Ok now this is getting depressing - are there NO artists out there? Did you give up what once was your passion and never return? You don't have to post a piece of art. Tell us about you life since. Did you have any great, fun times while woriking with fellow artists? let us hear form you - I can't believe that I am the only one.

Okay, I hate to see anyone depressed so near Christmas. :) (just kidding)

I'm not an artist, although I like to draw and took a semester of painting once. Your watercolor piece is great by the way. I'm not in your league, but I can sketch, that kind of thing, reasonably well. My son's studying digital animation and has done some really great work so far, drawings and things. If I can get some I'll post it.

I do dabble in photography and at one time did some work in 35 mm. I've got some of that I'll post. (promise, promises).

As to Divine Design, I worked at the Way Nash for several years and knew John K*** very well at one time, and Meg although not as well. They were both wonderful people, really talented I felt. My recall of the Divine Design people was that they were all highly talented and very hard working, putting in long hours of thoughtful loving work that brought a lot of enjoyment and ease to a lot of people. Very often the unsung heroes and heroines of the Way. :)

Ex - my depression isn't because of you. i just wish that some of those artists out there would tell of their experiences. I was just in DD for one semester - I guess they didn't think I was "spiritual enough" I remeber crying and praying that I would get it together enough to really be able to serve Him with my talent. It took nearly 22 years for me to ralize that God gave it to me and that no one else could take it away.

Anyway, someday I'll post my story of how God gave me back this wonderful passion I have for the visual arts.

Socks I paint in oils - I am actually awful in watercolor. I would love to see both your work and your son's work.

it just seems to me that since we were asked to give up so much for TWI that the best and greatest way to show our freedom is to reclaim those God-given talents and gifts.

Wow washington! I was at Emporia when she was studying the color keys. i never got a copy of that. I remember the beautiful paintings that were done to show those keys. I also remember Craigo being so adamant that the colors were picked out for each artist - he didn't realize that that wasn't really a big deal - someone used to painting could make the colors they wanted no matter what - they might have to get used to a different pallette but it wasn't the heavy control that he would've liked.

Edited by doojable

I don't know if I count. But I was the Interior Design person while in-rez. Chief plant moved and picture hanger extrodinaire was all I was.

I've worked many years as a professional designer, but not til I left the way. I was underemployed, while with the cult. :D Got out and found a wonderful profession awaiting me. Yeee Haw!

YOU are a gift ex--- a real work of art

that being said

I was just in DD for one semester - I guess they didn't think I was "spiritual enough" I remember crying and praying that I would get it together enough to really be able to serve Him with my talent. It took nearly 22 years for me to ralize that God gave it to me and that no one else could take it away.

That was another thing that TWI trashed was anyone who had any inkling of artistic talent or could think for him/herself--It had to fit in with way theology or you were possessed or some such thing.

Ive been making stained glass church windows for 25 years (you can guess how that went over in TWI,) about once a year some stooge would tell me I was making idols for the adversary or some such tripe and that I should use my talent to make more class posters.

:blink:

Thankfully, for me at least, the 'call' from my profession was much stronger in the long run than the call from TWI and TWI's gods and I have been able to enjoy it and make my living from it all these years for which I am grateful. I delve intp other things from time to time depending on my mood---woodcarving, sculpture, music---whatever ---without the hindrances of the past anymore-

IMO itwas a huge set back, at least from an artistic point of view, for me to have been involved ----but somehow (not without a lot of conflict)it all worked out.

Im sorry dooj that it took you 22 years to unravel their crap and actually listen to that 'still small voice' and follow the inspiration that is in you. It is still strange to me that they talked about it-then did more to thwart it than any organization I have ever seen.

Anyway that is all behind-glad to see that however you did it you picked up the brushes again---the results are great--keep painting -its great stuff- don't let anyone talk you out of it again.

Mstar - I didn't really feel a call to my profession back then as I was fresh out of college and really wanted to get Corps training so that I could use my talent to serve God.

I didn't spend all this time completely away from art. In the meantime I have taught myself calligraphy, illumination, and I've worked as a picture framer for 22 years. Seems God has managed to keep my talents alive and honed. When I finally returned to my true talent, it was almost like I had never been away.

The TWI was a big PIA (pain in the A$$) but I am choosing to believer that God saw my heart and was patient with me.

My biggest frustration with not getting to be in DD was that I saw all this great stuff coming from talented people and I wanted to participate.

BTW in my last year in residence we were supposed to frame some pics for the cafeteria (forgot the cutesy way name they gave it) I had been TRAINED in this. But P@t L*nn took over and made a mess of it - then acted like she had done some great thing. Oh well that's another story....

Mstar - got any pics of your stained glass? I love the stuff. I have some old stained glass panels from an old house - a "Mission era" house I just love colored glass!

Merry Christmas!

'Twas the day before Christmas and all through the house

All the creatures were stirring, even the Cats and the Mouse!

Hope everyone's day is all you want it to be!

Okay, here's a couple photo pages I had that seem to be working. The images were taken

on 35mm, either 25 or 100 ASA and scanned at 72 dpi. Cropped and shadowed, other than

that they're pretty consistent with the original images.

Restaurant, Snow and Walnut Grove, page one

Click 2 at the top to see the others.

I enjoy photography. I'm using a 5.1 mpix digital camera mostly at this point but I still enjoy 35 mm.

Okay...from way back in 1972 which was 9 years before I ever heard of TWI

I sorta quit painting when I started doing photography full time and later got disgusted with painting because it seemed that advertisements I saw, book illustrations etc etc etc were better than anything I could ever accomplish.

I've recently started painting again, but am quite dissatisfied with everything I try.

Edited by Ron G.

I'm not sure that TWI appreciated anyone's art. I think we were all just a bunch of hands to them.

Her work is very nice. Message art is harder for some to get. She probably scared the bejeezas out of the big gons at TWI. They wer probably afraid that they would end up in one of her paintings....

YAY!! you guys are amazing!

Ron you're work is wonderful - the piece form 1972 is better than a lot of work done today - (frankly it's better taht anything I saw C@r*l do - but please don't tell her if you see her - I only saw the stuff she taught.)

keep painting and don't give up - remember that you aren't supposed to get a photo from a painting

Andy I am very impressed with your work. My kids LOVE Kim Possible! I'll post a link to the Gallery that I'm in here - as soon as the site is back up and running. I think that the end of the year is the time for everyone to clean out their cyber-cobwebs...

These are awesome, y'all!!

Anyway, someday I'll post my story of how God gave me back this wonderful passion I have for the visual arts.

I'd love to read it! Isn't it wonderful getting things back that TWI took away or killed in us? Good for you, listening to that still small voice. :)

Doojable, I don't think MStar mentioned it, but he hides things in his stained glass for kids and others to find if they look hard enough. ;)

Ron, I really like your art. I didn't realize you were so artistic as well. Is that watercolor? I love both of them for different reasons.

Socks! I'm very impressed! Those are beautiful, peaceful pictures and the composition is superb.

Ex10, I sure could use some help in my house! I'm still moving things around and trying to figure out what should go where. LOL!

2Life, those are really cool pictures! I suspect Kit Sober would be especially tickled with the Elvis section. :P

Hiway, I didn't realize you created the Noid! We LOVED the Noid in my circle of friends! You've got some great stuff on there. Amber is beautiful!! I'll have to tell you my experience with the Hallowed Grounds of Dodger Stadium some time. LOL!

I would LOVE to say that I, too, am an artist, but sadly I only got a C in art class by the grace of my professor who had pity for me. I don't think he really believed anyone could be so bad. He surely didn't want me to tell anyone I had taken a class under him. I wanted to be able to draw or paint so bad, but, alas, I'm pretty pathetic. :blink: I'm just an art groupie! I appreciate and enjoy the art I do get to see and experience. I LOVE art shows and frequently travel to the really good ones in the area.

Excellent topic, Doojable! Thanks for starting it!