GreaseSpot Cafe

"Top 10" old must see movies

rhino

I restarted my Blockbuster video plan ... $1 for the first month, then $17.99 for the second ... about 50 cents a movie, mailed to me .... but I soon run out of current stuff ...

What do I need to see to become edumacated on old films? Some Like it Hot? OK, I guess Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, come to mind. Of course I want to see Rita, Betty, and Marilyn. How to Marry a Millionaire was good.

Lay it on me, you film buffs ... like George ... :)

Hey Rhino and others. I use Netflix..I love it. I order all my dvd's online. They come in the mail in a return envelope. I never have to pay postage and they are never late..there is no limit on time. They will only send one at a time. They send me emails that it was rec'd and send the next in que right away. The turn around time is 3 days. They have different programs.

I just went to the Christmas Day Mattenee and saw the movie " Family Stone", very good light hearted funny movie. I wi be puchasing this one..its a keeper.

With a ton of cable movie networks, I don't do the Netflix thing.

For classic Marilyn, "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," "Bus Stop," and "The Seven Year Itch" are well known. I remember seeing "Let's Make Love" many years ago and thought it was excellent.

I saw "It Happened One Night" (with Claudette Colbert's famous hitchhiking scene) during a baseball strike. (TBS was running movies in lieu of Braves games.) Clark Gable and Claudette had a marvelous chemistry.

I tend to like oddball comedies. Not exactly classics (both are from the 80's), "Amazon Women on the Moon" and "Traxx" are hysterical.

George

Hey Rhino and others. I use Netflix..I love it. I order all my dvd's online. They come in the mail in a return envelope. I never have to pay postage and they are never late..there is no limit on time. They will only send one at a time. They send me emails that it was rec'd and send the next in que right away. The turn around time is 3 days. They have different programs.

Me too.

A few favorites of mine, in no particular order:

"Dr. Strangelove", maybe the best movie ever made. An absolutely devastatingly wicked satire. No doubt Kubrick's and Seller's best work.

"Bodyheat" - Film noir at it's finest. You'll have to watch it at least twice to figure it all out. Phenomenal supporting cast (Micky Rourke was fabulous as was Ted Danson).

"Reds" - Warren Beatty's epic about Jack Reed and the Russian Communist revolution.

"Sandakan Hachibanshokan Bohkyo " A Japanese film of the mid 70s. Probably the most physically beautiful film I've ever seen. A bit heavy-handed at times, but still a great flick.

That should hold you for awhile. I'll think of some more...

Edited by George Aar

If you like comedies,

leaving out the Marx Brothers is just plain wrong.

Their greatest film was "A Night at the Opera". Period.

(It was excrutiatingly assembled, so that makes sense.)

"A Day at the Races" was their next film, and appeals to

general audiences like the previous film did.

(Thank Irving Thalberg for that. He claimed adding

production value at the cost of some of the zaniness

would make the movies appeal to wider audiences.

He was right with both movies.)

"Horse Feathers" also appeals to a wider audience.

Fans of oddball comedies love "Duck Soup", which

didn't connect to its audience at the time, but

later generations LOVED it.

=======

So, "A Night at the Opera" IS a must-see.

The others, it's up to you.

I love the Marx Brothers, and have seen several

MORE of their movies. However, I don't recommend

anyone go out of their way to see the others.

(Unless you're a fan, say, and want to see the

"Cocoanuts" "Viaduct" scene or the auction, or

the "He lost his shirt" song,

or "At The Circus" and the "Lydia the Tattooed Lady"

song.)

A few favorites of mine, in no particular order:
"Dr. Strangelove", I put it on list

"Bodyheat" - ...saw it long time back, good, will put it at end of list

"Reds" -... kinda heavy, will put it on list though

"Sandakan Hachibanshokan Bohkyo " they didn't have this one

Thanks George

For classic Marilyn, "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," "Bus Stop," and "The Seven Year Itch" are well known. I remember seeing "Let's Make Love" many years ago and thought it was excellent.

I tend to like oddball comedies. Not exactly classics (both are from the 80's), "Amazon Women on the Moon" and "Traxx" are hysterical.

George

OK, thanks George, I'll put a couple Marilyn on, and add Amazon Women (pretty sure I saw that once), and Traxx

If you like comedies,

leaving out the Marx Brothers is just plain wrong.

Their greatest film was "A Night at the Opera". Period.(

OK, "A Night at theOpera" is in too ... Thanks ...

Please...don't...see...Traxx... :)

Do see Shattered Glass, though. Not that interesting unless you realize it's a true story.

OK thanks Raf ... I'll put off Traxx ... never heard of it, and George prolly does have a strange sense of humor, being from the north side of the U of I traxx. :) (where those nerdy science guys hang out) Hal from "2001" was George's neighbor.

Edited by rhino

I'd recommend checking out the old "Dracula", "Frankenstein" and "Wolf Man" movies. If they have them order "The Legacy Collection" of these three. Then you could watch the whole "Frankenstein" series ( 7 movies ) in order. If you've never seen it you've got to top the whole thing off with "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein."

A few more came to mind:

"Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" - If you haven't seen it, put it towards the top of your list. A really classic scary flick with an over-the-top cast, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Peter Ustinov...

And if you've never seen "Young Frankenstein" (but who hasn't?), sit down and watch it RIGHT NOW. I didn't much care for Mel Brooks' other cinematic efforts (Blazing Saddles, etc.) but this was an enchanted work. Gawd, it's good...

"Little Big Man" and "The Graduate", though getting a little dated, are still worth a look

"Bonnie and Clyde" with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway ditto to above

And a fun little movie that slipped under most folks radar, "Cannery Row" with Nick Nolte and Debra Winger, (and a superb voice-over by John Huston). Again, the supporting cast made this a good one...

Regarding renting by mail, I found Blockbuster now sends from local stores, so quicker than last year. Also you get two free rentals from the store per month. I think I can return the movies directly to the store even probably, if I'm in town, so that would cut down on the turn around time by a couple days.

I may have misjudged you George (St. George) about being nerdy ... is that Chem degree in liberal arts? LOL I was a chem major for 2 years... how is chemistry in LAS? I guess it is all that electron probabilty hypothesis stuff ... just a lot of religion ... HA OK, liberal arts and liberal theoretical science? Anyway, always seemed funny to me... LIBERAL Arts, and if we have a little time left ... science. If you are conservative can you still get a degree in liberal arts? It may be difficult unless you hide your conservative beliefs ... but I digress ...

I added a few from the top ten "conservative movies"

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadA...le.asp?ID=20714

appeals mostly to stupid redneck hicks with broken down cars in their yards ... ;)

"walk this way"

My 2 cents:

"Eddie and the Cruisers"

"12 Angry Men" Henry Fonda

"Wargames" Matthew Broderick in his younger days

"Camelot" A good classic that never dies

I've wanted to find "Streets of Fire" - Michael Pare & Diane Lane from 1984. I've got the LP soundtrack but I've never found the movie: shows up occasionally on late night TV. Definite cult classic and the music is great.