GreaseSpot Cafe

Oprah's Books

laleo

I like the idea of Oprah's Books, maybe because I like to read. But, years ago, when she first started her book club, I read one of her books and was disappointed (The Deep End of the Ocean). Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was a little too contrived. Hard to explain. I tried again (The Rapture of Canaan) and mostly enjoyed that book, maybe because I could relate to the protagonist's struggle with an abusive religious group, but I thought the use of medieval torture techniques in a contemporary (it was contemporary, right? -- now I forget the setting) Christian fundamentalist group was a bit over-the-top. I mean, despite what the Church of Fire and Brimstone and God's Almighty Baptizing Wind teaches, isn't it still illegal in most states to drown your congregants for disobedience? I couldn't figure out how they got away with their systematic torture, and the question distracted me from the point of the story.

I tried again (The Book of Ruth) and that story was such a downer that it put me off to her reading list altogether. After that, I leaned more toward the Booker Prize winners rather than anything Oprah recommended (although I don't often get around to reading those, either). I didn't (deliberately) read any more of her novels, but in reading through her list (from the website), I've read more of them than I thought. And other than those first few I mentioned, I enjoyed the others, especially The Pilot's Wife, Open House, and While I Was Gone. I've read a couple of the classics she recommends, but that was only because I had to, like One Hundred Years of Solitude, and The Sound and the Fury. And a few others are sitting by my bedside -- assorted Christmas gifts from over too many years -- which are either neglected or half-read. Someday, when I have the time . . .

Most of the rest on the list, I've never heard of. I must have missed all the commotion while I was posting at GreaseSpot.

So, anyway, have you been affected by the "Oprah Effect" when it comes to books? Do you purposely pick up a book based on her recommendation?

Also, do any men read Oprah's Books, or is this just a girl thing?

Here is her list:

The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton

The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

The Treasure Hunt by Bill Cosby

The Meanest Thing To Say by Bill Cosby

The Best Way To Play by Bill Cosby

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons

A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons

A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines

Songs In Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris

The Heart of a Woman by Maya Angelou

The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds

Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen

Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

Paradise by Toni Morrison

Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman

A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton

Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay

River, Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke

Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes

Tara Road by Maeve Binchy

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Jewel by Bret Lott

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III

Open House by Elizabeth Berg

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

While I Was Gone by Sue Miller

Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

Gap Creek by Robert Morgan

Cane River by Lalita Tademy

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir

We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

Sula by Toni Morrison

Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

Light in August by William Faulkner

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

I read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, but I think it was written before Oprah came along. I'm kind of partial to Russian literature, although it tends to be terribly tragic (remember Dr. Zhivago?) and is usually kinda depressing.

Other than that, I don't know or care much about Oprah.

Ron, I'm surprised. I'm not sure why, though, but I am. I'm not familiar with Russian literature. The only Russian novel I (almost) made it through was The Russian Debutante's Handbook, except it's set in New York City, and the writer is American (a Russian immigrant), but it's supposedly written in the tradition of Russian literature, which means it's long. Too long. I don't remember if I liked it or not -- it was sort of raw and seedy, that much I remember -- but I do remember that I didn't finish it.

I wonder how Oprah got so popular.

"I wonder how Oprah got so popular."

Well, it wasn't because of "fans" like me, of that much I'm certain. I don't get it at all. What's she got?

A seriously lightweight intellect from what I can tell.

I've read Faulkner. Don't care for him much, though he was obviously a talented writer. I think those are pretty safe recommendations for a reading list, no? Sorta like putting "Gone with the Wind" on a recommended movie list. Gosh, really, you think it's any good?

I also read "Memoirs of a Geisha", though I'm a bit embarassed about it now. It was a good read for the first half, then sorta turned into a Harlequin Romance or something. He shoulda had somebody help him come up with an ending. The last half of the book was trash.

Mostly I'm not much of a fiction reader at all. I'm just not into stories. I read history, technical journals, even auction and exhibition catalogs, but I hate to waste the reading time if I'm not going to learn something productive. Yeah, I know, I'm Mr. Excitement...

Why surprised? The novelists of the Russian classical period (pre soviet) could spin a yarn with unequaled lyric qualities and very human characters. Dostoevsky, Tolstoi, Turgenev, et al and of course Chekhov's plays and short stories.

During the soviet era, the classic tradition continued with Boris Pasternak and a few others, but with little hope of their work being published until after their deaths. Expatriot writers such as Alexandr Solzhenitsyn and poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko thrived outside the Soviet Union.

Russian literature is very compelling and interesting. Oprah would do well to include more of it in her book lists.

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

and her latest :

Night byby Elie Wiesel (I've also read Day by him)

The books on her list that I've read. I didn't read them because of her, just because (some of them were assigned for school).

Edited by moony3424

George, evidently what she has is charisma, but I don't understand why her audience isn't put off by her self-absorbtion. I remember a long time ago, she had invited a guest that I wanted to hear, so I tuned in, but it really bugged me that they kept the cameras on Oprah practically the entire time the guest was talking. The interview was all about Oprah, not about the guest.

Lightweight intellect? I don't know. She's surely shrewd, very shrewd, to manage (and keep) her empire, despite the inevitable opportunists and traitors she must be surrounded by. I know I sure don't have that kind of business sense. What irks me, though, is how her minor annoyances can make the national news. Like the time she went to an exclusive handbag store after hours when she wanted to purchase a last-minute birthday gift, and they wouldn't unlock the door for her. We were supposed to feel some sort of national outrage over it or something. I mean, really, does anyone care? They wouldn't have unlocked the door for me either, sister. I guess I just don't understand celebrity, and the feeling of entitlement it brings. Take a number like the rest of us.

Don't give up on novels, though, especially if you're interested in history. It brings to life those endless recitations of fact, so you can understand the whys and wherefores of life, or at least someone else's take on it. You strike me as a Camus type, if anything. He's someone you might be able to relate to.

Ron, now that I think of it, I did do a stint in Russian short stories at some point. Yeah, impressive, if dark and twisted, not in a Poe sense, but even more eerily, because it was all so believable. Solzhenitsyn is one of those names I hear referenced quite frequently, especially on NPR, but I've never read anything of his. Any recommendations?

If you've not read I Know This Much is True, I strongly recommend it. I didn't read it because it said Oprah, either. In fact I found it, then forgot it, then had some time to read again this last fall and WHOA! I couldn't put that bad boy down.

I don't know how a book gets on her list, don't really care and it doesn't influence me. In fact I might otherwise NOT read a book that she's endorsed just because of the starstruck crud.

Ron has now turned me onto Russian Literature, so I will be checking that out. Read War and Peace years ago, didn't get into it, think I'll read it again.

Have also read from the talk show queen's list:

A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons

A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines

Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen

While I Was Gone by Sue Miller

We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

George, evidently what she has is charisma, but I don't understand why her audience isn't put off by her self-absorbtion. I remember a long time ago, she had invited a guest that I wanted to hear, so I tuned in, but it really bugged me that they kept the cameras on Oprah practically the entire time the guest was talking. The interview was all about Oprah, not about the guest.

:sleep1::sleep1::sleep1:

Oprah is an opportunist, plain and simple.

With a syndicated show like hers,

she can say or do anything with impunity.

Though maybe not without immunity.

Doesn't make her right -- and as a matter of fact ~~~~

It makes her suspect!! :biglaugh:

Who bought her off to promote the books she does???

She got conned big time for the *Million Pieces* book.

Oprah hasn't a clue. She's in it for the money.

Hmmmmm. Wonder if she took lessons from docvic???

Naw ---- she's got a bigger audience than he had.

:spy::spy:

Ron, I got my name because Mama watched Dr. Zhivago while she was pregnant with me. :D

I'm interested in this Russian literature now. I'll have to check it out. I've never even read or seen Dr. Zhivago.

My mom is in a book club and they very rarely pick books from Oprah's list but I think it's because there are men in the group, I know my mom thinks Oprah is "da bomb". :rolleyes: They were reading the Million Pieces book and I haven't talked to her about her thoughts upon the dude getting busted for lying.

I LOVE Faulkner and his books, but I read all of his books before anyone knew who Oprah was. I would suspect that there is definitely an agenda surrounding how the books are chosen.

Here are the ones I've read:

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

I read a fair number of books, but was surprised that the only Oprah club book I've read is 'East of Eden'.

I liked it, but if I were to choose one Steinbeck book that would be far down the list. It does seem to be the most "Oprah -friendly", however.

I can't imagine referring to Oprah for book recommendations anyway.