GreaseSpot Cafe

Google Earth

igotout

Google Earth

Download the free Google Earth for a very cool program that lets you hop all over the world looking at satellite images and close ups of the whole world.

Type in your address and zip code and zoom in to see your house. (Or someone else's)

We can even see the color and style of our cars and the trees in our yard and our pool.

Some zoomed in views are not clear. Others are amazingly clear. Try it out! Comments appreciated.

Google Earth

I like the looks of Google Earth but I have a question for the computer guru's on here. How do I get a picture to be in the message when I post it to a forum?

I tried posting a picture of my pug's yesterday and made it an attachment but I don't see the picture in my post. So what did I do worng?

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...

HegotHope, I've loved GoogleEarth for months now... well, love may be a strong word... but I've liked it a whole bunch... I use it when I'm getting ready to travel someplace, business or pleasure, so that I'll be more familiar with the surroundings...

I also use it just to look up places... just the other day I was looking at Turino, Italy to see what the town looks like without the olympics there... pretty neat...

I looked in on Rome/the Vatican the other day... someone has gone in there and labled the places from 'The DaVinci Code'...

I've been lots of places (for real) in my life, so TWI life isn't predominate on my view list. Having said that-anybody found good 'ol Way Camp in Gunnison yet? North, South, East, West of the town? I never drove there myself so I can't figure out where it is. Just curious.

Just love the whole thing. I've traveled the Grand Canyon, saw Tienniman Square, saw Red Square, Big Ben, Japan, Iowa Jima, Berlin, Holland, on and on. What a great treat! Thanks for pointing the way!

This is what comes up when you look for County Road 9, Gunnison, CO

Camp Gunnison Way Household

970 641 0936

606 County Road 9

Gunnison, CO 81230, United States

snowsearch.net... Camp Gunnison The Way Household Ranch, Map, 14.19 miles. (970) 641-0936 606 County Road 9, Gunnison, CO 81230. Resorts. - 4 more »

The coordinates are:

38 deg.36'51.38" N / 106 deg 52'40.06"W

Zoom in a bit - it's not detailed well - they won't like that! LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the google earth software to my computer it brings up the picture, but everything looks fuzzy. :(

could it be my in my onboard graphics controller? (Intel 82810E Graphics Controller)

I can see general shapes of buildings and things but that's it.

I downloaded the free version.

Any help would be apreciated.

• 1 month later...
I downloaded the google earth software to my computer it brings up the picture, but everything looks fuzzy. :(

could it be my in my onboard graphics controller? (Intel 82810E Graphics Controller)

I can see general shapes of buildings and things but that's it.

I downloaded the free version.

Any help would be apreciated.

That's about as good as it gets - your description sounds a lot like mine. Some areas seems to have much better clarity than others - like famous landmarks, etc.

Install a new graphics card. You can get a good one cheap and they are easy to install. You should only choose ATI or Nvidia brand. (I prefer Nvidia).

Before you take the old one out and put the new one in.....download the latest drivers for your card from the manufacturers website. Save the file on your desktop.

1.) Uninstall any current video drivers from your old card. Go to Control panel, Add/Remove programs and look there to uninstall your old drivers.

2.) Turn off your computer. Open the case. Remove the old card, put in the new one. (It's real easy.)

3.) Start up your computer and ignore all messages. Your computer resolution will look fuzzy until you install your new drivers.

4.) Click on the file on your desktop that you downloaded, the drivers for your new card and follow the prompts.

5.) After those drivers install themselves, you will restart your computer.

6.) Right click on your desktop after your are back logged on. Go to properties and find the place where you set your resolution. Set it to 1024 x 768 at least. If you have a CRT monitor (the large heavy kind), make sure it is set to 75mhz or it will flicker.

7.) If you do NOT have a video card inside your computer you have what is known as onboard vidoe. It must be disabled in BIOS before your new card will work properly. If you have onboard video post here for help on how to get into BIOS and how to disable your onboard video.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone found on the site how old the pictures are? They can't be recent. I looked at my old house and it looks like pre-katrina, there are no trailers in the neighborhood. I looked at my brother's house, which is gone now, and I see lots of trees and his neighbor's house, which shouldn't be there.

gc

Has anyone found on the site how old the pictures are? They can't be recent. I looked at my old house and it looks like pre-katrina, there are no trailers in the neighborhood. I looked at my brother's house, which is gone now, and I see lots of trees and his neighbor's house, which shouldn't be there.

gc

It depends upon which specific imagery is being used for that segment. If you go to the layers pane and select the DG Coverage (2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002), you can actually view the exact date the picture was snapped.

I like the program , its pretty easy to operate. I worked with ArcMap and ArcInfo last semester it was alot harder but I can get a job doing it if I wanted. We downloaded and worked with ladsat and lidar and three diminsional images that you fly and zoom through like a bird, we took a topo map and designed a subdivision and plotted the best points for a new school for the county based on traffic patterns and proximity to residential neighborhoods. It's pretty amazing what can be done with these GIS programs.