GreaseSpot Cafe

The History of Everything: According to the Movies

Raf

The Movie Timeline is a Web site dedicated to documenting history according to film. For example, we all know that on Nov. 5, 1955, Marty McFly arrived in Hill Valley from the future. We also know that a long, time ago, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo led a rebellion against the evil Empire. And we know the date that Vulcans made First Contact with humans. Anyway, there's plenty more. Take a look at the site and, if you remember any specific, verifiable dates, add it to the list!

• 2 years later...
The Movie Timeline is a Web site dedicated to documenting history according to film. For example, we all know that on Nov. 5, 1955, Marty McFly arrived in Hill Valley from the future. We also know that a long, time ago, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo led a rebellion against the evil Empire. And we know the date that Vulcans made First Contact with humans. Anyway, there's plenty more. Take a look at the site and, if you remember any specific, verifiable dates, add it to the list!

Raf. The link didn't work for me. Is there an update on this?

Raf. The link didn't work for me. Is there an update on this?

Since the link didn't work for me either, I put "movie timeline" into a search engine,

and found it pretty fast.

http://www.themovietimeline.com/

I'm not ready for that-I'm still dizzy when I try to keep track of the continuity of

the Wold Newton Universe.

http://www.pjfarmer.com/woldnewton/Pulp.htm

It starts with a real meteorite landing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wold_Newton,_...ng_of_Yorkshire

Then a fictional writer had some fun with it.

"The Wold Newton Family is a group of heroic and villainous literary figures that science fiction author Philip José Farmer postulated belonged to the same genetic family. Some of these characters are adventurers, some are detectives, some explorers and scientists, some espionage agents, and some are evil geniuses.

According to Mr. Farmer, the Wold Newton family originated when a radioactive meteor landed in Wold Newton, England, in the year 1795. The radiation caused a genetic mutation in those present, which endowed many of their descendants with extremely high intelligence and strength, as well as an exceptional capacity and drive to perform good, or, as the case may be, evil deeds."

In a literary fiction version of "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon", hundreds of fictional characters

have been connected as ancestors or descendants of the handful present,

or having interacted with them.

(Starting with the family itself, including Sherlock Holmes, Phileas Fogg, Allan Quaterman, Tarzan,

James Bond....)

You can follow the link for the whole thing.