GreaseSpot Cafe

What ARE Your Favorite Books?

Belle

Belle...

Russian literature can be quite tragic. Poor Anna Karenina went through all that tragedy only to end up beneath the wheels of that train and the hapless Dr. Zhivago dying so abruptly not knowing the fate of Larissa or his daughter. It's very rich in human experience and lyric prose, but you'd better have some cartoons to watch after finishing one of those Russian classics.

I'm also quite fond of Charles Dickens (Andrew got me a Charles Dickens action figure for Christmas who sits on my monitor perusing my every move) and a nearly forgotten gothic horror novelist by the name of H.P. Lovecraft whose masterful works have inspired some truly dreadful movies.

Some of my other favorite authors include J. Frank Dobie, Louis Lamour, Howard Fast, Harry Turtledove and Kurt Vonnegut Jr...and of course, Kilgore Trout.

Non fiction includes Andreas Feininger who wrote the finest books ever written on the art of photography, John Taylor Gatto on education and assorted animal care and gardening books.

"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest." --Kilgore Trout, from his novel "Venus on the Half Shell"

OH!!! I nearly forgot!!

"The Illuminatus Trilogy" by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea.

A must read for all!!

How could I have forgotten probably my most favorite author of all, Robert Anton Wilson.

Edited by Ron G.

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently read a bunch of Carson Mc Culler's books. Clock Without Hands, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, and I am now in the middle of re-reading since High School, Member of the Wedding.

She's a great writer and she makes you think.

I also like Edith Wharton, CS Lewis, and quite a few science fiction writers.

Hubby has read a LOT of Russian authors. (My kids take ballet with two teachers who are from Russia.) Tolstoy (he even actually read the unabridged version of War and Peace. Dostoyevsky and now he is reading Gulag Archipelago by Solzhnetsen.