GreaseSpot Cafe

Trigger Phrases used in TWI brainwashing

markomalley

WW already dissected this post in another thread, but I wanted to highlight one point:

and if others get HONEST,

I always cringe when I hear somebody say that. That little phrase was used to imprison so many of us. The implications of that phrase are that if you, after consideration of all the facts available, arrive at any conclusion other than the one who made the "get honest" statement, then you were either lying, in denial, or born of the seed of the serpent :evilshades: Therefore, if that phrase was used, it meant you automatically had to mentally assent to the speaker's position -- because we wouldn't want to be seen as a liar!

The horrible thing is that I have found that this statement has been so inculcated into me that I may have used it from time to time. I've caught myself more times than I can mention and changed my wording...but it may have slipped through.

If it did slip through and the comment was directed toward anybody reading this, please accept my apologies.

I never heard widespread of "get honest". Perhaps it was more strongly associated with LCM's reign. I heard many times the "check up from the neck up" thing so much so that

it became something of a joke which is perhaps why they developed other types of jargon. What about "tapped in" ? That used to be employed alot to point out anyone who was doing an exceptionally good job (or kissing the right a$$). "Wow. We should all be as tapped in as him". Or "once I got tapped in things starting making sense". Or "you can never be tapped in unless you take PFAL". LAter modified to include Intermediate PFAL, Advanced PFAL, WOW, Corps, DWTA, or any class they were hawking at the t ime. I'm sure there are many more examples of phrases that I've long forgotten. Can't say I want to waste too many brain cells on trying to remember them.

"Have an open and honest relationship with..."

All nine all the time!"

"Stunderand sut I'm waying? Seally rimple new yo?" (Ugh!) Lcm's attempt at bieng quick and clever

Do you ginosko? - do you really?"

"JUST"

"Father, I just thank you, for just bringing me to just your Word, that Jesus would just die for us all, that you made us to just sit you in the heavenlies......"

Yikes, that word used to be such a distraction to me!

Only used to be? I know what you mean, but maybe we live if seperate worlds...I hear that word a lot...on the new (especially by TV weather broadcasters) as well as in other walks of life, including preachers. It is "tolko" in Russian.

What about the folks that were always "getting delivered" every other minute? "That teaching really delivered me", or "I got so delivered from that tape"...just how screwed up does a person have to be if they have to be delivered two or three times a week?

"Just"...yeah, that was sure one over-used word.

"Needs and wants parallel"

I was in a meeting with the CEO and IT Department about some proposed software changes: after much discussion the CEO says "We have to get our needs and wants on a level playing field." On auto-pilot, I said, "You mean parallel?" He says, "Well, that's another way of putting it."

I had several drinks that night.

"Needs and wants parallel"

I was in a meeting with the CEO and IT Department about some proposed software changes: after much discussion the CEO says "We have to get our needs and wants on a level playing field." On auto-pilot, I said, "You mean parallel?" He says, "Well, that's another way of putting it."

I had several drinks that night.

laughing my head off .... on a level playing field ..... ha ha ah ah ah aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

--

good edit, bramble :wub:

It has taken Greasespot to deliver me.

I was perturbed that, even after so many years, the words "you mean parallel" just flew so naturally out my mouth. I have the same reaction when the terms "available" and "receiving" are used in everyday work conversation. I held a position which included inventory control, and part of the task is "receiving". Its just weird.

At least I knew how to spell it.

I wonder what is back looked like?

This reminded me of a funny one. My WOW family coordinator used to mimic jokingly:

"You know what killed that boy that day?"

"I did! I killed that boy!"

VP was still alive when he used to joke about this. This guy just came out of his first year in rez. Maybe it was one of those "You had to be there" moments.....