GreaseSpot Cafe

Airline Excess Baggage

Zshot

I seldom bring my work here, but I couldn't believe this...

A young Soldier (a PV2) had to leave the area to go to a medical appointment and treatment at Walter Reed Medical center.

On the return trip back her... American Airlines charged him $80.00 for excess baggages for his, CRUTCHES!!! (I have the documents in my file at work).

Does this sound wierd to you?

Raf,

Do you think this would be a good story for the media?

(BTY, the government will reimburse the Soldier expense)

I took my dog with me to Boston once $160.00 to fly on the floor in bag I think my ticket was around $178.00. I told them next time I may as well buy him a seat and he can have a drink and a bag of nuts. As it turned out on 3 legs of the trip he had a seat anyway as there were extras and he worked the girls for all he could get which was a lot more than I got.

That is outrageous! What a crock! They are getting wayyyy too weird about stuff!

I flew for Christmas, and when we returned we had a few more things than we left with. We put them in smaller bag and planned to put them under the seat and put our luggage in the rack above. We were not using any more space than without the bags. We still would have put our luggage above. We always fly with carry-on luggage. The gate nazis told us we couldn't take it. I put the smaller bags in my larger bag and said "OK! It's all one now!" They reluctantly let me through. I was trying to make a point that my small Christmas bags would fit fine under the seat in front of me without taking any EXTRA space.

$80 for crutches....unfreekinbelievable.....

I would bet money that theres more to this story!!

Theres gotta be more.............

I work for USAirways (part time!) and I have worked at the ticket counter. Thats a rough place!!

Granted..some of the agents are a little testy----------- and some (more than I would have thought!) passengers seem to come in ready to get nuts!!

Normal NICE people seem to change idenities as soon as they walk through the doors!! Airports just seem to bring out the worst in people sometimes!!

Bottom line----How MUCH did the rest of his baggage weigh? 50lbs/bag. two bags. thats the limit.

Two carry ons.... thats the limit.

BUT--- crutches, wheelchairs, babyseats, strollers and a whole bunch of other stuff does not count toward the two bag limit.

PLUS --- the guy could get them on the Handicap law (or something like that) and violations are up and over $20 Grand per incident.

Airlines have to accomodate handicap passengers (and thats why I have a job!!!)

Again--- I would bet money there is definilty more to this story!!

It sounds more like America in 'pre-desert Star' years, when you could more commonly anticipate that everywhere you went civilians would either openly hate and dispise you, or else they would turn their heads away and ignore you.

do you have anymore information on this?

(BTY, the government will reimburse the Soldier expense)

I think there is more to this and by the way its not the goverment that reimburses

its us, THE TAX PAYER. Now it all starts to make sense. :confused: