GreaseSpot Cafe

champaign area

likeaneagle

Well, now....here is a real blast from the past!

Peoria was the first Illinois thing that I went to...'72...met VPW for the first time...Ted and Mardel wailed...

I took PFAL in Antioch, John Desmond ran my class. Pencil thin, pin-striped suit, long light brown hair, quick wit, fun guy...we drank beer. I think of him fondly and am still grateful for much born of that time.

Ernie Dahl, Sammy Magro, the Lollies, Kunkel, Walter Porter, and the inimitable David Petitt...lol...lotsa stories there. Becky Belcher and her little bro, Mike...the first "Way Home..." Then came Gerald...lotsa stories there, too...lol.

No complaints from that early decade...much healing, hoping, and happiness actually.

Mr. B (Orbin Banks) is still in Illinois...he has been a prosperous businessman and married to Terri for about a million years...saw him (after 25+ yrs.) at my bro-in-law's funeral a couple years ago. We had a very very sweet reunion.

If I could keep time in a bottle....

I have no regrets about that whole time...still remember the miracles of our youth (and the miracle that we survived that youth...lol)

X

M

Thanks Matilda for more names. I remember Ernie D. Yeah Orbin B!!!!!!!, major great guy. I'd love to say hello to him. it was Steve Kunkel right? Becky's little brother was Gary, not mike though. He played acoustic guitar with a style like Bob Dylan.

Before VP came to town, Bo Reahard stopped in to make sure things were in order for his visit. We were up all night cleaning, cause it wasn't good enough. (He was right) To Bo's credit, he was up with us working, not like some we have heard that said "you- go do this"

I was totally embarassed when while taking docvic to a meeting, I reached into the jacket that I hadn't worn in 2 years and found a hash pipe. I just looked at him and laughed and said I hadn't worn the coat in quite awhile.

And of course there eventually came Gerald, and the fun was over because now there were real corpse to run things instead of us young, naive, ex-hippies.. But before that!------oh we had a great time.

HAPe4me

A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle.

I hadn't done anything for a year and got talked into going to a grad meeting in Antioch(Jan.,'74) that Gerald taught,or rather,shouted...I was scared so ****less of him that I spoke in tongues throughout his entire teaching...I thought he might yell at me for not coming to twig for over a year...Guilt-ridden,uncommitted,copout that I then considered myself,I signed up to go instate outreach that night,and was sent to Aurora later that month...Pettit was my branch leader there...

Now we're talkin'...

You know how many memories...good, growing up times, that are entwined in those years...

Yes, Steve Kunkel...just a kid then...song writin' git pickin' "like a butterfly" Kunkel-pie.

I remember a Gary Belcher, but I thought there was a Mike, too...the kidlier bro.

I used to drive 150 miles just to fellowship in Antioch...took PFAL at Antioch High, tho I was well out of h.s. (tending bar in Chicago now that I think of it...how ironic). I want you to know that I OWN 294...lol...used to know virtually all the toll guards back then.

Digression...just this past weekend I was visiting home (Chicago) and riding on 294...still glad to see the Mooncotch's house as I passed by, s.i.t. for the lot of us...

Ok...soooo well remember the Antioch crib...before and after...Gerald never was a fright to me...we worked together closely back then finding the Limb HQ etc...lotsa stories there. Like Hap's remembering Bo cleaning...that's how I remember Gerald, right in there doing along with barking. I don't think that I was all that stupid or naive...he was a leader, a teacher, and an all round mench then, trusted him........whatever all else transpired after those earliest years in IL, I cannot attest to, but early on, it was a working machine and there was great stuff happening, regardless of ours, theirs, or the bad guydevil bobo's underminings. There were bona-fide signs, miracles, and wonders...and I don't type those things lightly...lol.

Daaaavid Petitt...come oooon down....lol...double dog dare ya to have me tell you a favorite Petitt tale...

X

M

p.s. oh yes...and sews da Topic Cop don't get his panties in a twist...my sister lives in the Champaign area...there...that should cover us for awhile.