GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Yo - Socks - Tower of Power - now there's a hefty group! I remember an old concert at Fillmore East - Mountain, Tower of Power and Mylon LeFevre and Holy Smoke...Have you ever heard Mylon's tune "We Believe that Peace begins within" ? - man oh man it's smokin' :spy:

Mylong LeFevre comes to our small church about once a year (He's a friend of the pastor). He's awesome!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

T-Bone and waysider - yeah, Dave's working with TOP, nad Skip's an alumnae of course, and was a founding member of Coldblood. Both great bands. Lydia's in full voice.

I can't plave that song, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Albert King and the V, yes indeed. That's "his" alright!

Moony - I've heard that Mylon tune by someone else - that's really a soulful song - gospel-like...Oh yeah, I think at the same concert was Santana...I used to save all my concert ticket stubs [somewhere I've lost them !!!!!!!! :( ] - and I would write all the other groups at that concert on the back of the ticket stub. My very first concert was Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Chambers Brothers and Soft Machine. Second concert was Cream, Humble Pie, and Terry Reid... Things get fuzzy after that - :biglaugh: .

Socks - they're all heavy-hitters in Cold Blood and Tower of Power! Man, I love the basswork of TOP's Rocco!!!!!!!!! Moving along in the evolution of my taste - my favorite group for awhile has been The Yellow Jackets - jazz with a sting........Oh yeah -right - Guitar thread - uh mmmmmmm - When I saw Mountain, Leslie West was playing the flying V guitar.

Edited by T-Bone

I'm still trying to play catch up on this thread...

Not to derail things, but have you ever had so much work and so many jobs lined up that you didn't know where to begin? That's how my month has been. I've been working at the hospital about 8-10 hours a day, plus I've had a couple of clients call me wanting rush jobs on brochures and whatnot, then I've had school board meetings the past three nights in a row that have gone until 10pm or better - scheech! (I do videography and meeting minutes for the school boards)... I've been working third shift on the weekends, doing the help desk thing (picture Dilbert in a non-profit setting... that's me!) All this, and we're trying to get ready to go on vacation - there's laundry a mile high, and so much to be done. I need a wife. That's all there is to it.... but I'll settle for a drink... just one... I have to work tomorrow!

But this is about guitars, isn't it? Shame on me - mine hasn't seen daylight in over a week.

Okay - we were talking about flying-v's huh?

Socks - earlier you asked if Leslie West was playing when I saw Mountain. Yes, he was. Afterall, Leslie West IS Mountain.

And yes, he did break out a flying-v.

I thought the name came from the trem - it's a fugly axe, in my opinion. They were a dime a dozen in the 80's - wasn't that the official hair metal guitar?

Check out this pup on eBay - holy cow!

There's some other fugly guitars out there, too...

Like THIS...

or THIS ONE

and what were they smokin' when they built THIS THING???

Chas, those are some fug-gugly guitars alright! 8 k plus for the one - yow!

Busy, I hear ya. It runs like that here too. But you're in need of some groove soothe - and compliments of a Yellow Jackets alumnae - Robben Ford.

Indeed T-Bone, the Yellow Jackets sting! Founding member Robben Ford - guitarist extraordinaire, natch. Here's a sample from his site, the title "Indianola".....check it out, it's got big bass :)

Indianola

Socks - that Indianola is a cool tune - yeah, I like the sound of that bass - it's got some bite to it!

Now.........getting back to this guitar thread - I dunno Tom - maybe I'm getting hung up in that semantic thing - but dontcha think the flying V guitar should really be called a flying Y?

You're surely welcome, Young Lady. Glad you enjoyed it!

Here's another unusual style - the Danelectro "Short Horn" and "Long Horn" guitars.

Check out the first pic on that site, Chatty. Who dat? :)

These guitars have been played quite a bit over the years. If you ever saw the Shindogs on the TV show "Shindig", aside from possibly being up too late for your age, you might remember Delaney Bramlett playing one in that band. :dance:

Aaaah, would those be Texas Longhorns???? They do have a southwestern look to them, dontcha think?

The V guitar - hmmm. Y the V? Well, as James Taylor said, "B.S.U.R.S.U.C.S.I.M.I.M. "

That pret' near says it all.

Something smokey and sublte about those Danelectro's. Not even sure how they sound to be honest. But if you wear what you buy, they're made to be worn, for sure.

Here's something worn, made back in the 70's - as electric guitarists go Todd Rundgren is about as good at rock as you'd need to be. His first solo album titled "Something/Anything" had this gem - a classic sounding pop-rock scream titled "Couldn't I Just Tell You". It's a serious Testosterone-laden teenage-guy-anthem. Lunch time in High School the Day After the Date That Went Wrong, young hearts on sleeves. Plus, he speeds up right after the intro like a race horse that can't find the can and moves back and forth between fast and faster. Check it out.

Couldn't I Just Tell You

Delaney Bramlett - a pal of Claptons, once married to Bonnie, ah, Bonnie. He shouldn't have let THAT one get away. But story is he's the guy who got Clapton to start singing, "witnessed" to him and talked Jesus with EC, got George Harrison started playing slide. The list goes on....EC and DB toured in the early 70's and ripped.

Edited by socks

SWEET A la! Were they good? Ha! Of course they were good.

If you're gonna snap that gum, ya gotta share with the whole class now. Pieces for everyone, please. How was it?

Soemthing's landed on the front lawn and it doesn't sound local. I'll be back.... :wave:

Hey, you know what? Bonnie (man what a slide...geez louise!) was married to a pfal grad also. There was a write up of them in People and the cult was mentioned.

Something's landed on the front lawn and it doesn't sound local? That is freaking funny. :biglaugh:

You have got to come back now before I can leave.

Hurry....

:yawn1: