Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great harp and she can play those strings she can. :)

Yep

That's Debbie Davies on guitar.

She cut her teeth with the likes of Albert Collins and John Mayall.

The singer in the red dress is a young Janiva Magness. (This clip is from 1991)

Janiva is one of the most powerful female vocalists out there working today.

Check out her other youtube clips.

Not sure on the other personnel.

No question, though, there are some ladies out there who can really kick out the jams.

I'm kinda at a loss on the harp, though.

The tune is in the key of C and he is playing 2nd position which would make this an F harp.

The harp he is playing looks like a Hohner CX-12 (chromatic) but I don't think they were on the market yet in 1991.

I guess I'll have to do a little homework now.

:wave:

Does Dwight get his jeans spray painted on?

Inquiring minds want to know. :huh:

I love all those studs playing in their 'guido' shirts... and then the fiddler in his jean shorts, ankle socks and untanned legs...

hahah :lol:

I'm not terribly fond of country music.. but Dwight is in a league of his own... nice choice Waysider! Thanx!

Edited by A la prochaine

Chatty...

That has got to be the most amazing video i've seen in a long long while!!!

Heck.. call me slow... but when I was first looking at this video... I was watching this guy ... and thinking.. Oh Cool... he plays left handed...on a right handed guitar... (note pick guard is at the top)

then he lifted his head... OH MY... it was Jimmy... MY OH MY... and it was unplugged...

YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS VIDEO... helps me appreciate him a whole lot more!

Thanks My Sister... you made my day (and possibly week)!

Edited by A la prochaine

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, bulwinkl

That brought back some cool memories of seeing those guys play live in NE Ohio back in the early '7os.

Phil(Keaggy) was/is a phenomenal guitarist.

Don't forget, he was probably only about 20 years old in that clip.

Another great band I got to see around town, featured a guitarist named Glenn Schwartz who left the group to join up with Pacific Gas & Electric(Are You Ready?)

The name of the group he left was James Gang.

The guitarist who replaced him was some yet unknown kid named Joe Walsh.

Thanks for the memories!!----Cool stuff.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but FYI, Dan Fogelberg passed away a few days ago. I appreciated dmiller's posting of one of his songs a while back, "The Leader of the Band", and figured d and I were not the only ones interested enough in the strings to know and appreciate his contributions to the music world. Thus closes the door to another chapter in my life that brought me joy and deep grounding in "things of the heart".

"The leader of the band is tired,

and his eyes are growing old.

But his blood runs through my instrument

and his song is in my soul~

My life has been a poor attempt

to immitate the man.

I'm just a living legacy

to the Leader of the Band."

I loved this song for its validation of family ties, even through the twi years. I equated the "Leader of the Band" as God, and later, when I started to get to know him, Jesus. (Not that I thought God was tired, except, maybe of our "stuff").

Music is a very powerful thing. It can reach into the depths of even a very hard heart and bring forth tears. I am a living legacy...

~Cinder

cinderpelt,

A sad time indeed and one that seems to be harder to get through for me and I've noticed others around me are still talking about him as well.

For me he was like a Croce or Chapin with songs you could shake your head to in recognition while your heart shook with emotions of sadness and joy for the loves found even if lost.

If anyone missed it there is a thread for him in Memoriam.

socks,

I swear they look alike from far away don't they.

I had to check it out and found it was the same group that did "I'll Be There for You" for the show Friends.

Thanks for the morning music.

Yah, that's them, Chatty. They're working together again from what I read. Extremely talented writers and musicians.

I always enjoyed his music cinder, although I didn't follow it closely. It will serve his memory well.

I saw the Crossroads concert on TV few weeks ago and the Jeff Beck portion shown was great. He had a young female bassist with him named Tal Wilkenfeld. Youtube has several clips, this one is really nice I thought and features her playing in an improv part of the song "Cause We've Ended as Lovers", a Beck classic. The embedded code was disabled - here's the link - check it out. It's xxx-rated, in the best kind of way. :) http://youtube.com/watch?v=DJGCOq89a2o&feature=related

For our resident Female Bassist Chas - you may dig this if you're in...

an audio and image clip of Tal Wilkenfeld playing an original comp from her CD is titled "Truth Be Told". Really nice song. She's telling it, alight.

Edited by socks