GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

hey guitar gods... if someone had always wanted to learn to play the guitar, and was thinking about getting a guitar (accoustic), what sort of guitar would someone get?

If someone were thinking that it's OK to get a high quality used guitar because they don't want to mess with buying a beginner one and then getting rid of it and getting another...

If someone had hands where the palm was large in proportion to the finger length... would someone want nylon or steel strings? or would that be something that someone would start out on one type and then move to a different type?

Tell me Obi-Wan-Guitarbee... tell me...er.. someone...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only advice I can offer is, don't buy a real cheap guitar. It will be harder to play, strings will likely buzz, and you will get frustrated easily.

Now as far as buying a good used guitar, that's a good way to go, but unless you buy it from a music store, plan on paying an additional 50 bucks or so to have a shop set it up for you, and put on a fresh set of strings.

A good case is a must. Doesn't have to be a hard-shell case but a case (not gig bag) should be part of your purchase. Also, if you live in a real dry area, or have forced-air heat and no humifier, you should buy a case humidifier. I learned this the hard way, by the way. They only cost about 12-14 bucks and can save you a lot of money in the long run.

If your going for new, Alvarez (not the K-Yari line though) has some pretty good guitars for around 250 bucks. I have a K-Yari, but they are a lot more expensive...they are the hand made line. Mine was made and signed by Kazou himself. :)

As far as strings, unless your going to play classical, you probably won't want nylon strings.

Hand size, I have fairly short fingers, but you learn to work with what ya got. :)

Rick

Thanks... any other suggestions/models? (unless that's your four star rated model/good guitar)...

Would someone need to let their fingernails grow out and start dragging their fingertips along the sidewalk to form calluses?

Nah, the calluses come after the blisters wear off. :biglaugh:

But seriously, you can buy a finger exerciser, that has optional callous caps you can buy to put on it. Has ridges, like guitar strings, that will build them up. But honestly, it's a waste of money. Best way to toughen up your fingertips is practice, practice, practice. You get the extra added benefit of learning while your doing it. :) Pace yourself...when you first start, play till they get tender, then stop. Next morning, you will yell and say, "Damn, this $*@! hurts!" Play a little more that day anyway. Before you know it, you will have finger tips that are tough as nails.

In theory, anyway. :confused:

As far as models, Yamaha and Fender both have entry leve guitars that are ok. But again, no matter what brand you buy, make sure that you get it set up by a professional, so the action(the distance between the strings and the neck) is set as low as possible without fret buzz.

as far as models, these are just my opinions. Maybe Socks, Diazbro, Ted, or Satori can reccomend some other entry level guitars for you to choose from.

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

And Tom, when you start to learn the chords,remember that placing your fingers in the right place and then strumming the chord is not easy at first, and at first you will feel as if your fingers are a bit retarded. But not to worry, as Bluzman said,; "practice practice practice!" And before not very long, you'll be able to play those chords clearly and nicely. But, I will leave any real instruction up to dese other guys...

Hey, we got some manly men now! :dance:

Lots to read here - and photos too! CQQL.

Good advice on the learning to play, Strangeling. If you want to give it a shot on your own, take it in little bits as suggested. A little goes a long way at first. I have a practice regimen but I don't over do it. If I was doing it now I'd do what I did with my kids. Get the instrument, have it around, and take a lesson or two. Or three. I gave them the lessons, and they took it from there with their interests and I helped or directed the. It helps in the early stages to have someone show you - show and tell, help you get going. Sit up, hold it like this, etc. From there you can get an idea of how much you like it or don't.

I'd also suggest paying a visit to your local music store(s) and shopping around a bit. Explain your interest. Try some. Feel the lacquer. Stroke the necks. Caress the wood. Feel the love. Have a smoke. Aaah.

Seriously, hands on is a good way to go so you can see how the neck feels in your hand. A good salesperson can steer you in the right direction as far as that goes. It will feel foreign at this point, so a trained eye will help. Fender does have a low-end series in the 150.00 dollar range that's a decent guitar. How much are you thinking of spending? There's a Guitar Center in Houston, and they usually have a couple rooms of acoustic guitars.

Guitar Center Houston

7729 Westheimer Rd.

Houston, Texas 77063

Store Hours:

M-F: 10-9 | Sat: 10-7 | Sun: 12-6

Phone: 713-952-9070

Fax: 713-952-0247

Manager: Jason Caldarera

Gotta run, be back!

Edited by socks

If someone were thinking that it's OK to get a high quality used guitar because they don't want to mess with buying a beginner one and then getting rid of it and getting another...

How much were you thinking of spending?? Higher quality acoustic guitars can be expensive.

But it's worth it to get a better one first. It's easier to play, it sounds better, and if you decide you don't want to continue --- it is MUCH easier to sell a bettter instrument than it is a cheap one. Figure out your price range, then go looking for what is *available* within that range.

Personally -- I like Martin, but there are many good acoustics out there (these days). :)

I googled music stores in the DFW area, but not knowing where you are as to where they are, it didn't do me much good. Check out the stores near you, and do like socks said -- get hands on examination where you can try it, hear it, ask questions, etc.

Plus talking to a salesman (who's willing to help you with info, without trying to make the sale)

is a huge benefit that you'll never find on e-bay. :spy:

Edited by dmiller

Tom,

If I had it to do over I'd of taken classical lessons rather than acoustic. I'd have preferred the nylon strings. Then once I got the chords down I could have moved onto metal strings. But the guys are right you will grow calluses in time and the pain will subside.

Also I would have practiced in 15 minute intervals rather than 30 or one hour periods.

And I would have reverted back to easy chords I enjoyed when the harder ones taxed me. Like the F (anything). I have short fingers and those were torture it seemed. But you can find easy chords that feel good under your fingers and return to them rather than put the guitar down. The more you put it down the further away your next practice will be.

Just a couple things I would have done differently that may be of aid to you.

Tom,

If I had it to do over I'd of taken classical lessons rather than acoustic. I'd have preferred the nylon strings. Then once I got the chords down I could have moved onto metal strings. But the guys are right you will grow calluses in time and the pain will subside.

Ah so given the LAtin background I picked up the nylon string first and a great deal of it was spanish style classical

(Torroba, Sor, Albeniz, Rodrigo). I spent hours with Giuliani's studies for the right hand. What a buster ! You could probably

get a copy at the local library if you wanted. I spent many,many hours looking at he Segovia transcriptions of these guys' work

but it was worth it - even though I didn't play those pieces very well. I greatly benefitted from my early study of classical. It gave me the discipline to persevere and even though I didn't stick with classical music, many of the concepts did. So it was a failry easy switch to electric guitar except that i had to immerse myself into a less rigid style of playing which at first wasn't so easy. I later

learned to get comfortable with the idea of improvisation (drugs helped *laff*) but the chords and various grips I learned

on classical made the physical transition a piece of cake. In tems of practicing, I was putting in about 3-4 hours a day but since I was so young I had the time to do it. It kept me out of trouble. So later when the guys in my first rock band were complaining about a 2 hour practice , half of which was spent drinking beer, it was hilarious.

Thanks folks... any other thoughts on the "learn classical first" then, with that as a foundation, go on in whichever direction? (did I get that idea correct?) Isn't there a difference in the "type" of guitar? (the neck is wider and flatter on a classical?)

As far as price goes I don't mind spending on a quality used guitar because (like has been stated earlier) in theory I can get that money back out of it...

There's all kinds of stores in this area (including a Guitar Center) so once I get an idea of what I'm looking for I'll be able to go browse around at quite a few places...

And so, Chatty Kathy you said;

I have short fingers and those were torture it seemed. But you can find easy chords that feel good under your fingers and return to them rather than put the guitar down.

And so, why would you pick a fat, thick necked, classical guitar? The thick neck of a classical might be too much for some one with short fingers, ya know what I mean? It seems to me that it would be harder to wrap your fingers around a wide necked guitar, than one with a more slender neck. Maybe a steel string guitar with a more slender neck would be better? Just wonderin.

Okay, I thought it was Spanish (nylon string) guitars that had the real thick neck - not all classicals have really thick necks. Plus, there's student sizes which may be scaled better for smaller people.

==============================================

We have seven guitars and three amps - hubby plays in a cover band and I play bass guitar - a vintage, 1979 Ibanez Roadster with passive controls (it was active - made passive) (see photo) (ain't it a beaut?!). That bass weighs almost 19lbs - it's a workout everytime I pick that sucker up - but it's so easy to play - like butta!

Hubby has a Fender 12-string (my wedding gift to him), a 2001 Fender USA Tele (natural blonde), 1998 Fender USA Strat (blue natural), an Ibanez RG-550 (white) with new D'Marzio pups, a Martin 6-string, and an Alverez classical. The amps are a Fender Custom Shop Ultrasonic (seafoam green), a little Peavey Classic 30, and a Peavey Ultra 410 (that thing is indestructible!) All the amps are tube amps.

=============================================

BTW - if you want a good web site with USER reviews - not the glossy stuff from guitar mags - go here:

http://www.harmony-central.com/User_Reviews/

post-323-1141364242_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChasUFarley

That's a nice bass Chas! 19 pounds - yow! :love3: That's love! Looks great.

The Recording King is SUWEET! I keep an eye on e-bay for old Silvertones and Kays, as I want to find an old dark sunburst F-hole acoustic that needs a warm home. They're out there but haven't found the exact one. The first guitar I learned on was a Silvertone flat-top, tobacco sunburst, big body. It would get left at our house by my sister's boyfriend who played in a band and between practices would leave it at the house. The first guitar's I spent anytime ogling were the Silvertones and Key's in the old department store catalogues, they just looked great, like that one Bluzman. :) Then the first electric I had was a Kay yellow tobacco sunburst, single cutaway, f-hole, single pickup. Played - terrible. Had Black Diamond heavy gauge acoustic strings on it when I got it used. Had no trouble getting it to sound like the Jimmy Reed 45's I was buying, I think he probably played a few Kay's in his day too. Took a while before I learned I could put Giibson flats on it. The dark finish bursts on those older guitars looks really nice I think. :)

And so, Chatty Kathy you said;

And so, why would you pick a fat, thick necked, classical guitar? The thick neck of a classical might be too much for some one with short fingers, ya know what I mean? It seems to me that it would be harder to wrap your fingers around a wide necked guitar, than one with a more slender neck. Maybe a steel string guitar with a more slender neck would be better? Just wonderin.

You do have a point there. And I've not played a classical guitar so I reckon I'd have to say maybe that idea wasn't so good after all. :unsure:

But then again, you'd probably adapt. I just wondered, because my son Keanu has a classical that he plays alot, and when I pick it up and play, I am amazed at how wide the neck is. But one thing nice about that though, is that the strings are farther apart, and it's easier to plant your finger down on a string without touching one of the others and muffling that other string.

My friend in the sock drawer (and others)... thank you for allowing this 'outsider' to play on your thread...

Forgive me but I do not speak Greek... is it OK if now and then I ask for translation? (for I would not want to privately interpret this your thread).

Here's an example: Took a while before I learned I could put Gibson flats on it.

What does that mean?

Thank you and salamalamalakem

Gibson Flats = Flat strings - play smoother, stay in tune longer - preferred by Jazz guitarists, mostly. Usually covered with a coating for speed and playability - a little easier on the fingers.

There is a science to strings and the manufacturing of them - pick up any guitar magazine and you'll be hit with dozens of ads about them. They even come in bright colors - purple, pink, blue - oh boy! Strings pick up the sweat and oils off your hands - they rust, get tarnished, stretched, and should be replaced if you play frequently. (I buy them in a case of 20 for hubby each Christmas - perfect stocking stuffer!)

Have you ever seen this on an eBay listing? - Someone lists a vintage guitar, like we were watching an auction for a 1958 Strat with original hardshell case and matching amp - all orig. - EVEN THE STRINGS! I couldn't believe the seller thought that would add to the value - perhaps it would for a museum, but...

======================

Socks -- Those Kay guitars, as fugly as they are, are back in vogue... Why? Because of Jack White (White Stripes) but even he says it's a pain in the butt to play - loves the cheesy sound, hates the action of it. But the things sell for $600+ on eBay all the time! (Unless they're really beat...)

Also - I left out a guitar of hubby's that you'd probably like if you're into semi-hollows - he has an Epiphone Wildkat, 2004, with double f-holes, in surf green - looks like something Brian Setzer (sp?) would play - even has a Bigsby trem. That's a fun little axe - one of his favorites. (And hopefully his last for a while...)

Well, I'll chime in here, great thread.

I have wayyyy too many guitars. I counted them up the other day - 36!

But, I love them all! They are all unique and different. They all get played too. Sometimes its a strat day, sometimes, out come the LPs, sometimes my pointy metal guitars, sometimes the hollowbodies, sometimes the SGs. I think its compensation for all my years in TWI.

But, I have been playing in bands regularly, they've accumulated over the years - they didn't all just appear overnight. Last week, a Kramer '80s Barretta with a Kline graphic fell in my lap for only $350. I wish I had played these years ago. Just when I think GAS is over, along comes something else!

But now that I'm older - I really don't care if I ever play in a band again. I've been thinking of whittling down the collection.

I'll still be playing when I'm a little old lady - through my Marshall stack and Peavey XXX! Guitar is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Sunesis

Hey Sunesis, have you had the opportunity to try the Dimebag Darrel "Dean From Hell" yet? I've read the reviews and it sounds like one hell of a shredder!

I'm a strat person for the most part. But I may get another LP. Had one that I bought brand new in 76, but lost it to a pawn shop when I got divorced. Same with a 57 ES-125 I found in a pawn shop for only 300 bucks.

I've just started collecting guitars again in the past 5 years. K-Yari Alvarez, Alvarez 12 string, Texas Special Strat, and a chrome Dean Resonator. Got some other odds and ends, keyboard, mandolin, and recently a violin.(which is presenting me with one HELL of a learning curve, by the way :) ). My favorite amp is an all tube Yamaha that was a Mike Soldano design. Thing is small, but sounds sweet! Mic it with an SM-57 and it rocks!

Rick