GreaseSpot Cafe

Oscar Night

Raf

Philip Seymour Hoffman just won best actor. Expected, and well-deserved.

Is it my imagination, or is Brokeback Mountain getting shut out thus far?

Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon!

A surprise winner!

Didn't see any of the movies.

Edited by Raf

Hey, I didn't come in until a few minutes ago, but since I'm here and it's on...

Adapted Screenplay: Brokeback Mountain wins it.

Larry McMurtry is wearing jeans. Cool.

Original Screenplay: Crash.

It's war.

It's down to director and picture, I think.

I see Brokeback won best original score a little while ago.

Okay, best director time.

Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain. Dang.

He's thanking the fictional characters of the movie. Ugh.

Best pic: here we go...

Jack Nicholson presenting? What a riot.

And the winner is...

Crash!!!!!!!!

YES!!!

Catch him in Red Dragon as Freddy Lounds. One of the best things about that movie.

Also was in Boogie Nights, Happiness, Almost Famous, The Talented Mr. Ripley and Patch Adams. Excellent actor.

Biggest irony of the night:

I counted three different actresses refer to someone or a character portraying a strong woman, or an actress that applauded a studio for picking up the story of a woman (Geisha), or as Reese said of her Grandmother and June Carter ... "a strong woman," "a real woman."

Then

"It's hard out here for a pimp." Real hard smackin' around his "bitches and hoes" who are selling their bodies so he can pay his rent. "You ain't knowin'." :asdf:

For the rest of the show I thought it was better than many I have seen. I thought all of the movies were great choices and was glad crash won it. Loved Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Almost Famous, but haven't seen the new Capote flim yet. Glad Reese Witherspoon won as well.

Best quote of the night IMO by John Stewart: "I think it just got a little easier out here for a pimp."

Thought Stewart did a great job.

Edited by lindyhopper

A friend of mine asked me to go the show last month. She rattled off the movie she wanted to see. So off we went. I sat in my seat and Broken Back started. She whispers and said, do you know about this movie? I said no. The Cinemaphotography was awesome....but I could see that the direction of the movie was to take people in thier emotions to accepting 'same type'of love relationships....I tried to enjoy the movie, but my heart knew it was a sympatheticly driven for 'same type' of love it talks about in Romans. I found myself getting worried about how far is Hollywood going to take this....How much flesh is going to be shown here. It did see a explicit spot in the movie....I would not let my pre-teens see this movie this is fot the mature audience.......I am not open to this stuff..and never will be.

Edited by likeaneagle

My feeling is that it was not a matter of whether you could accept the subject matter or not. I think it's a matter of, whether or not you accept the social message behind Brokeback Mountain, it was a boring movie.

I too thought Jon Stewart did a great job. Lot's of funny stuff there.

And I'm a big fan of 'Crash' and have always liked Phillip Seymour Hoffman (a great character actor). Thought George Clooney was a great guy as he usually is. Glad 'Walk the Line' got some nods... great perforances there... and the joy and elation shown by the cast and folks of 'Crash' when they won was nice...

I TIVO'd and watched it starting about 45 minutes behind and got to speed through some of the earlier 'speeches'...

I loved the opening sequence with the former hosts.

I loved the 'campaign commercials'.

I hope they have Stewart back.

One of the funniest lines of the night IMO: "Bjork couldn't be here tonight, she was trying on her dress and Cheney shot her!"

Edited by Tom Strange