GreaseSpot Cafe

Hotel Rwanda

Hey, I am showing Hotel Rwanda to my 7th Graders on Friday. Does anyone here have any "inside points" that would make the unit more interesting? Sometimes they get a little bored with "facts." They like, unfortunately, sensationalism (not that the murder of almost 1,000,000 people in 100 days isn't sensational enough).

Any thoughts about why Clinton didn't want to get involved or whatever else that they should know????

Thanks,

wb

On one of my trips to Uganda I met a lovely young Rwandan woman who told me her story. As an 11 year old she witnessed her entire family being hacked to death with machetes and their htus burned. She, along with many other refugees, fled across the border into Uganda. This orphan girl just lived by her wits, homeless, alone, uncared for. Only the kindness of strangers in a foreign country kept her alive.

She is now a young woman in her early 20's. She is bright, industrious, cheerful and genuine. She works hard and provides for herself, but has trouble getting work as she is uneducated, having been homeless all those years.

That's my personal anecdote. She calls me "Baba" ("Father" in Swahili) and I'm proud to have earned her affections.

Thanks, guys. I'll share your brief story with the class Friday, THE EVAN. Second hand info isn't bad. It must have been so horrible for all involved. Sadly enough, the class is looking forward to it because they think they're gonna see blood & guts. So sad. It's so difficult to scratch their toughened-by-tv-hearts.

Good point, J. He supposedly said in his book that we were just pulling out of Somalia and he didn't want to tell them to turn around and go back (I haven't read it).

wb