GreaseSpot Cafe

New Flick About the Iraq War

There is a film that may be coming to a theater near you (it's a small one, so it may not make it) called The War Tapes. Link to website: here.

Apparently, this filmmaker outfitted several soldiers in a NH National Guard unit with digital video cameras then edited the results into this film. Looks like it could be interesting. There are some video clips from the film in the above website.

The filmmaker states the following as her policy:

TWT believes in empowering citizens to tell their own stories – and believes citizen journalism can make amazing film. We are completely committed to opening up mainstream media and getting more human voices in.

If you’re asking whether TWT is pro- or anti- war, it’s neither. The soldiers with cameras have different beliefs about whether we should still be in Iraq. The filmmakers all respect those differences and this movie is not afraid to show them. You’ll see one soldier joining because of 9/11, and another saying its all about money and oil.

This film is not an objective or partisan film – it’s not trying to answer, “is this the right war?” Instead, TWT is trying to answer: “what is war for the soldiers who live it?”

Anyway, I thought that you all might be interested in seeing this, as it purports to capture the perspective of the war from a different angle than what other efforts had done.

This seems to be needed.

Looking around in America it doesn't seem like 'we' are at war. As a daughter of WWII vetrans, German & American, my only experience is some effects that are evident in my parents.

As to why my mother has her fruit cellar filled with foods & paper products... just in case~ An Dad always has loaded guns around... he's ready (they're in their 80's) They grow most of their own food, and have several bees... the less they need others, the better off they think they'll be (just in case)

As a country at war, our young people seem clueless. Does it seem like China has more community involvement in the protection of their own? Well, okay, they're forced to participate... But what are we Americans doing as a whole to prepare and protect ourselves?

Let's see what some men and women are doing... :(

This seems to be needed.

Looking around in America it doesn't seem like 'we' are at war. As a daughter of WWII vetrans, German & American, my only experience is some effects that are evident in my parents.

As to why my mother has her fruit cellar filled with foods & paper products... just in case~ An Dad always has loaded guns around... he's ready (they're in their 80's) They grow most of their own food, and have several bees... the less they need others, the better off they think they'll be (just in case)

As a country at war, our young people seem clueless. Does it seem like China has more community involvement in the protection of their own? Well, okay, they're forced to participate... But what are we Americans doing as a whole to prepare and protect ourselves?

Let's see what some men and women are doing... :(

Safari -- I agree. My folks (also in their '80s), still depend upon themselves rather than others. And the young folks of today??? Hmmm. Seems MTV has a greater allure than current events do.