GreaseSpot Cafe

Hitting your balls

Second James

This go-round in Florida, this winter, I happened upon two gentlemen hitting their balls around on a beautiful little backyard course & having the time of their life! I had played CROQUET while a youth and asked if they'd allow me to partiscipate...fortunately they were REALLY INTO IT...so almost nightly we played to our hearts delight!

We played with a pretty sophisticated "set"...$l30 on e bay I think he said, as compared to the rinky dink set I used as a kid...these really made the game fun..plus the wickets were very narrow & tough to shoot through.

My most enjoyable part of it was when one player (playing a threesome) would get way ahead, and us two trailers would go after him and send him...working together to catch up...& the strategies involved in "stayin' alive"...were riduculous at times but worked now & then!!

Any of you grow up playing the game as youths...& anyone still hitting their balls??

Hope Paw loves my topic title as much as I do!1 LOLOL

I grew up playing croquet - it's still very popular in New England, and it's not uncommon to see people with their hoops, balls, and mallets out in the yard on a spring or summer evening. My dad was a good player and knew all the quirky little rules, strategies, etc. - it could be fun.... but then we think cribbage is a blast, in my family!

Yeah, I played croquet growing up. We had a set in our garage and several other kids in the neighborhood did as well. Nothing about blood, but it was popular for a while. Can't even remember the last time I played it. At least 20 years.