GreaseSpot Cafe

1 Gig Flash Drive

herbiejuan

I bought one for $65.00, it's Relay, a Staples brand. I don't see much difference between this and what will come next except for storage size, download speed will depend on the machine I'm using. I've yet to see a program needing anywhere near a gig of memory. I know the price will fall dramaticly but am I right, won't most current applications fit within the one gig memory of the latest falsh drive?

oh yeah I mean before they make it an injectable chip and stick it in our shoulder.

:evilshades:

:spy:

That's a decent price - a gig would have been over $100 just a year ago...

(I remember when a gig of memory was $1K not that long ago - I had to get a storage drive for my Mac when I was working as a graphic designer - it was a ton of money, and I felt like a hot shot with that memory... now I have 200 gigs in my crap PC!)

I know some people are using them to store MP3 files on them. I use them for work to store the most recent version the data bases I design on them - lots of tables, hyperlinks, etc. - so there's lots of memory needed. I've also been using my iPod for this, and recently backed up my entire computer to it just before the power supply pooped out (I knew it was dying, so I'm really glad I did it!)

So, it really depends on your needs and what you'll be using them for. Personally, I'm glad I paid the $150 I did for my 20 gig iPod and think it was better money spent than on another flash, but that's just me.... (I also love having the music at the tip of my fingers whenever I want!) :dance:

Thanks Chas

I don't take my music with me. Most of the time my radio is tuned to an NPR affiliated college station mostly becuase everything else bores me but I understand and approve of the process and might take you up on it one day. I've spent time in different parts of the country and have taken the time to appreciate different music tastes so if I'm in a bad tune zone I throw some salt on the margaritas n rock on. All the data sources I have used so far were downloaded directly to my primary hard drive, I backed up my data by compressing it and sending it to myself at another computer and saving the unopened files. I also used up almost 2 gigs of drive space doing this so...

I'm sure a gig of memory will do me. I did 8 GIS projects this semester and a detailed final project and used a gig and a half of drive (sometimes I did an exercise twice to be sure I knew what I was doing). I don't think any project I'm likely to work on would need more space than that. Less than 20 Excel and DBF files, a powerpoint presentation or two and the ArcMap files to illustrate the point.

I'm guessing a gig is enough to do that and will store a roll of pictures too. If it can hold a 15 minute video clip then all is well. If not...then I will add an additional memory chip er flash drive. When I grow up I will be an urban planner of sorts, I'll immediately start work on my Masters but I will be working on urban planning projects in some form or fashion so transporting relevant data is important.

But then I also think I answered my own question which is why I bought the drive in the first place ;)

I love the 1g flash drive... I got a Sony one about 6 months ago for about $59 (yeah, it was on spacial)... if you flip it over it compresses to 2g... I just store stuff on it or use it as I would the old floppies to carry stuff from one PC to the other (when the files are too big to email)...

very handy though...

and herbie... you can get "podcasts" you know!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know that I LOVE my new flash drive. The portability means I can take projects home and work on it (of all things) and it did wonderful in holding my powerpoint presentation. I'll be interning in Bowdon and probably doing some additional work for them. I suspect my little silver medallion will come in handy :)

Glad you love your little gadget!

The thing that I've been impressed with lately for backup is my iPod. I picked up a little 20 gig iPod for like $150 off eBay not that long ago. It's second hand and not in perfect condition, but works very well. I've backed up my whole compter to it - photos and all - without compressing anything - over 14 gigs. And it still plays music, boots up just fine, etc.

The only time I use my flash drive now is to transfer documents from the iMac to the PC and vice-versa, as I have XP Home Edition and can't network the iMac to the PC very easily - (read: I got frustrated with it and said, "Screw it! It's not worth it!")

If you find you've out grown your flash drive, I highly recommend getting an iPod - plus if you get bored you can turn on and tune out! :)