GreaseSpot Cafe

"And I hardly ever kneel when I pray..."

doojable

Ok. So in the PFAL class, Dr. made that statement about prayer and not kneeling. Now, he NEVER said not to kneel - but didn't you get the feeling that kneeling in prayer was somehow not right - or unnecessary?

My question is this:

Have you ever, since leaving TWI, knelt in prayer. I have found myself kneeling, with my face buried in the floor, palms in front of me facing up to heaven - totally humbled. I have been prostrate on the ground just because I am so distraught.

Does this make me holy? Does it get an answer quicker? No. It does, however, keep me in rememberance that it is God that is in control and not me.

So - any of you out there ever kneel? Anyone agree with me that a refusal to kneel might - MIGHT - be a sign of arrogance?

Give me your stories and your thoughts....

Nice post, Doojable!...Haven't ever given it much thought - but I'm glad you brought it up...Once and awhile I do kneel when I pray. And I think it's usually when I'm under great stress about something or feeling really weak...Maybe it's a sub-conscious thing - like my body is telling my mind "humble yourself before GOD ALMIGHTY."

Just a quick thought - I am NOT saying that I am holier if I kneel. I am NOT saying that there is greater believing in kneeling in prayer.

I just think that we threw out humility when we started "demanding" from God and eliminated the humble posture of prayer.

Carry on..........

AMEN to you, Doojable......Positively on the floor, humble. Do what you are able......As for praising, I'm up and :dance::dance::dance: Just remember He likes to chat ,too. Talk and listen. Enjoy!!! :)

I agree about feeling much more humble when I kneel to pray. It also reminds me of when I was a child and I knelt beside my bed to say my prayers. I feel when I do that now, I'm going to God in childlike trust and humility.

I have bad knees too, so I don't kneel that often. But I did buy one of those little foam gardening pads and I use that occasionally.

Does this make me holy? Does it get an answer quicker? No. It does, however, keep me in rememberance that it is God that is in control and not me.
Dooj, I think this and T-Bone's:
like my body is telling my mind "humble yourself before GOD ALMIGHTY
sum it up for me.

I don't kneel in prayer often, but when I do I'm always by myself. Same with lifting my hands in prayer. I'm not a fan of outward showings...I save that stuff for me and God.

The nice thing about prayer, or having a relationship with God, is knowing that I can reach out anytime, anywhere, and in any setting. Face it-pray is a mental exercise, not a physical one.

There are times in our lives when things happened which will literally drive us to our knees. In my experience, when those occasions have happened, it's been a physical reaction to an overwhelming emotion situation. I know that during those moments, it was never a covert thought of "if I drop down, I'll be closer to God". It just was a purely natural reaction to the moment.

That's exactly how I feel Tops and Tonto!

I am not saying that we MUST kneel. I am saying that there are times when we feel like we have to kneel.

I just had to overcome so much aversion to kneeling that when I finally did it it was a very healing thing.

I would never kneel just to show someone how I feel. I heard of a man who said that. "I hardly ever pray for more than 1/2 and hour, but I also never go more than 30 min without praying."

Now, insisting on kneeling in this situation would be ridiculous!

I just wanted to get a sense of how folks have dealt with that quote from VPW.