GreaseSpot Cafe

BlueHost Help

herbiejuan

I have a webpage done in MS Publisher. I have a domain and hosting through bluehost.com. I follow their instructions to save a copy of my site in a new file called index.html which szves it as two files-index.html and index_files. I have followed their instructions to the letter and either 1) nothing shows up or 2) only the first page shows up and then without the jpegs I had on the origional.

Has anyone worked with bluehost and or publisher?

Many thanks

Mike

sounds like you've got configuration issues, the way it's saving is I think the way it used to in Frontpage but you had to specify your image path or once you saved, it wouldn't remember where your pictures are because the relative image paths are broken.

I don't use MS publisher, so I don't know what their tools are like for web pages. I know MS word sucks, bad and I hate MS frontpage too. I use dreamweaver and text editors and I know my way around web hosting (mostly linux) and I wouldn't mind looking at your source file if you tell me where your site is, but all I could do from there is give you a generally idea of what to look at, if I see anything that looks like an issue in the generated code.

Never mind I got it worked out. The power of upload and delete, try and try again has once again prevailed!!

The links work, the pictures are smaller than I expected but I'm not going to mess with it AND most important the link to register for the class Powerful Abundant Farming directs them right to where they need to be.

I promised folks I'd have the page up by tommorrow, it lacks a few instructors pictures and other data I wanted but for now it is what it is (at least till we get this first class over with) then I will worry about updating it, revising the curriculum and working with students and instructors in developing mentoring partnerships with local growers.

After 3 yrs of development work its seems silly to be thwarted by a webpage but I was for the first time close to saying F it I'm tired of this. Which I am. Folks have asked if I am excited and I say no, two years ago yes, a year ago maybe but today, lets just get this damned thing moving...

Tater is was a source issue, I needed to upload the index_files before I uploaded the index.html otherwise the program would kick the index_files into a different directory than the public_html where I wanted them to be. Or maybe I needed to open the file, heck I really don't know for sure but it's up and thats all that matters. I will work out the othere details later, hoepfully MUCH later.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by herbiejuan

my favorite is restore from backup :rolleyes: I'm working with a bunch of modules that fry my data once in a while, so until I get things stable, I'm doing a lot of backtracking, reconfiguring, and trashing. I had to take a few months off of my project because of the burnout, so I hear ya.

Tater is was a source issue, I needed to upload the index_files before I uploaded the index.html otherwise the program would kick the index_files into a different directory than the public_html where I wanted them to be. Or maybe I needed to open the file, heck I really don't know for sure but it's up and thats all that matters. I will work out the othere details later, hoepfully MUCH later.

that sounds weird. it shouldn't matter which order you upload in, a directory you create in public_html should stay there :blink:

I think I needed to be more assertive with where I wanted the file to go, or maybe I just needed to open it or perhaps I was required to snap my fingers and tap dance to America the Beautiful, heck I really don't know but Monday I will request funding for a college comp nerd. Which brings up another question which is better the better programing program like the one yu sugested or the one that comes with the webhst??

Short sight is a simple site and easy to navigate with links to information and online registration, the second would involve conversion calculators and lnks to and databases of relevant websites.

Edited by herbiejuan

my vote is look into CMS (content mangement systems). I'm working with drupal right now, which is both easy and complex and might be way more than what you want, and GSC is built in joomla, which I'm also working with in my job and actually confuses my more than drupal does... but managing weblinks and content can be a lot easier using an interface with an actual database. it installs on the host and you manage content in your blowser and usually has really good built in tools for generating content.

I talked with a pal today and she said most of her friends use Front Page however the ones that don't pretty much write their own scripts or use programs that most humans can't understand.

Frontpage is expensive as is another program I have on loan and buying. My GIS program costs are justified and I'm waiting on the check. Now I must justify a webpage development program.

From what I have heard Frontpage is pretty intuitive and comfy so even a novice can build an interactive website.

I'm not asking for much, I want website content and links, interactive surveys and polls, conversion calculators, mpegs and jpegs. I want something easier to learn on your own than esri's arcmap and a 1/4 as many buttons.