GreaseSpot Cafe

MD Lets Patient Die So He Can Stael Watch

Ron G.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090929/A_NEWS/909290314#STS=g0d7uuoo.mbf

STOCKTON - An emergency room doctor could lose his license and spend time in state prison if prosecutors prove he stole a man's beloved Rolex watch off his wrist after a fatal heart attack.

Cleveland Enmon, 32, was jumpy during his first appearance in a Stockton courtroom to answer a one-count indictment charging him with felony grand theft of personal property.

The case stemmed from the death of retired Manteca Police lieutenant Jerry Kubena, who died of a heart attack June 1 at St. Joseph's Medical Center in Stockton. That's when Enmon allegedly slipped Kubena's beloved gold watch into his pocket.

"A family death is already difficult," Kubena's daughter, Karie Nelson, said in an emotional statement after the hearing. "This took it to an all new level."

Nelson and her brother, Jerry Kubena Jr., last week filed a wrongful death lawsuit further accusing Enmon of letting their father die so he could take the watch.

They also say the hospital attempted to cover up the theft to avoid liability. A St. Joseph's spokesman did not reply to a call seeking comment.

Kubena's son did not learn about the alleged theft from hospital administrators but rather from an acquaintance who works there. Nelson said she is angry at hospital officials and the doctor.

She said her father loved the watch, which was returned. It has an estimated valued of about $16,000, Kubena's relatives said. Kubena retired from the Manteca Police Department about 20 years ago and then worked as a private investigator.

"There's no doubt the doctor took my father's watch," said Nelson, who fears her father received substandard care from Enmon. "The minute he decided to do that, what was his interest to keep my father alive?"

According to the civil lawsuit Kubena's children filed, two nurses noticed the missing watch and a bulge in Enmon's pocket. Outside, a nurse said she noticed Enmon toss something in the grass, and a hospital surveillance camera captured Enmon.

Administrators immediately fired Enmon, according to the lawsuit.

Supervising Deputy Attorney General Gail Heppell said that - to protect the public - she is preparing to ask a judge to suspend Enmon's license until the criminal case is resolved.

"Stealing from a patient -that's heinous," said Heppell, adding that this is not an uncommon case. "Unfortunately, yes, I have to say this isn't the first time this has happened."

It appears that St. Joseph's administrators, who did not report Enmon to the Stockton Police or the state Medical Board, did nothing wrong according to state law, Heppell said.

She explained that Enmon did not work for St. Joseph's, but rather a doctor's registry, which supplies physicians to hospitals, similar to a temporary work agency.

As such, the Stockton hospital had no obligation under state law to report Enmon's alleged crime, she said.

Enmon said nothing in court. He appeared with Stockton attorney David Wellenbrock, who entered no plea but asked for more time. Wellenbrock said Enmon works at the Memorial Hospital of Gardena in Los Angeles County.

San Joaquin County Deputy Public Defender Stephen Taylor said Enmon has two traffic warrants from California and a third from Georgia.

San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge James Hammerstone allowed Enmon to return home to Hermosa Beach on a promise to appear at next month's hearing. Enmon is due back in a Stockton courtroom on Oct. 19.

Contact reporter Scott Smith at (209) 546-8296 or ssmith@recordnet.com.

(My ten will get your one that this will inevitably spiral downward into an anti-Obama, "This is what socialized medicine will bring us!!" teaba--err, 'discussion'. ... But then again, that's my 'positive believing' on the matter. What's yours?

I got a ten spot riding on it. <_< )