GreaseSpot Cafe

Eddie Lemos

FontanaAna

• 1 year later...

I don't know where he is, but I have to relate this funny incident about him.

In 1973 he made an urgent trip to Greenville, SC to search for his fiance (my family coord) who had suddenly disappeared from the WOW field. I was driving him all over the city for several days. His bold, loud NY accent and demeanor stood out like a sore thumb in the slow, easy south. One Sunday morning, we decided to go to breakfast at a local restaurant, but I had a bad feeling about going into that place.

While in line, Eddie was very LOUDLY talking and witnessing to everyone in line. The place was packed with folks fresh out of their Sunday morning church services. He really attracted attention-- all eyes in the place were upon us. The waitress showed us to a table-- a little tiny table for two, the kind you normally see propped up against a wall somewhere, but this one was in the middle of the crowded room. We sat down and Eddie continued his loud discourse and with a sweeping gesture, he accidently knocked his water glass in the floor. After the waitress cleaned up the mess, he dropped all his silverware into the floor when he unrolled his napkin. Flabbergasted, he said, "I can't believe this!" and as he was bending down to pick it all up he was leaning on the little table, which promptly tipped over onto the floor, sending dishes, glasses, silverware, and food everywhere. I couldn't stand the embarassment anymore. We both quickly got up to leave, and as I went to pull out my wallet from my purse at the cash register, a roll of pennies flew out and scattered all over the floor! I just handed a wad of bills to the cashier and told her to keep the change and ran out of the restaurant.

Eddie and I laughed so much over the incident we both nearly peed ourselves!

What a wild and crazy guy.