GreaseSpot Cafe

IE6 with a mind of it's own

Righteous Brother

I like IE to open with a blank window when I launch the program, and I have about:blank as the default setting in Tools | Options.

My problem is that every time I boot my system up and launch IE, it opens with "Cool Web Search" (URL: http://66.250.130.194/index.php?acc=2002). If I go to Tools | Options and reset the start page to blank, it opens as blank from that point forward until I shut down and start up again. This has been going on for about three weeks and is getting annoying.

I am running Win2K SP3, IE6 SP1.

I have gone into Regedit and searched on this URL thinking that some web page placed an edit in my registry, but came up empty. I am not real comfortable rummaging around in the registry unless I know what I am looking for, so I haven?t gone much deeper.

I have Ad-aware 5.0 (release 5.7) and other than the usual doubleclick cookies, it came up with this one entry.

adaware.gif

Any ideas?

RB

proud.gif

Check your LMHOSTS file and see if some program wrote that URL in there.

Create a new shortcut to IE 6 on your desktop. Change the command line to read "IEXPLORE.EXE -nohome" without the quotes and it will open to a blank page regardless of what evil twerp has set your homepage to.

...scratching the itch of the mortal unknown...