GreaseSpot Cafe

Seabiscuit

I normally don't like animal movies, especially horse movies. Too sappy, most of them. I think the only other horse movie I ever saw that I liked was "The Black Stallion."

I had to go see "Seabiscuit" with my wife because she went with me to see "Pirates of the Caribbean." Sort of like a payback.

I was pleasantly surprised. It was a really good movie. A little long and kind of slow getting started, but once the horse gets into it, it really takes off. Yeah, it's kind of like a horse version of "Rocky" but it's done very well.

If you want to see this, don't wait for it to come out on video. The horse racing scenes are awesome and just wouldn't be the same on the small screen. You really feel like you're in the middle of the race.

READ THE BOOK FIRST...and you'll enjoy the movie a lot more. I can't believe they don't show the whole Seabiscuit/War Admiral race! The PBS special with the film of the actual race was more exciting than the version shown in the movie, oddly enough.

It's still a good flick, though it dragged where it should have flown, and flew where it should have lingered.

Again, read the book. You'll be glad you did.

The fool hath said in his heart, "PFAL is the Word of God..."