GreaseSpot Cafe

Gathering Together

Genesis 1:10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

2 Thessalonians 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

The only two places this phrase is used. "gathering together"

Any thoughts?

Edited by dancing

Genesis 1:10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

2 Thessalonians 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

The only two places this phrase is used. "gathering together"

Any thoughts?

The Hebrew word used in Gen 1:10 is "miqveh" -- strongs 04723

Also used in Ex 7:19 (pools), Lev 11:36 (plenty), 1 Ki 10:28 (linen yarn), Ezr 10:2 (hope), Jer 14:8 (hope), Jer 17:13 (hope), Jer 50:7 (hope).

The greek word used in 2 Th 2:1 is "episunagoge" -- strong's 1997

Also used in Heb 10:25 (assembling together). In the Septuagint, used in 2 Mac 2:7 (gather together)

FWIW

Rather than look at where the English exactly corresponds, I would look at the where the original languages might corresspond. The Hebrew word for gathering together in Gen 1:10 and the Greek word in 2 Thess 2:1 are not synonymous. Also, the Greek word in the Seputagint for "gathering together" in Gen 1:10 does not correlate with the one in 1 Thes 2:1.

Brenton translates Genesis 1:10 from the Septuagint as:

And God called the dry land Earth, and the gatherings of the waters he called Seas, and God saw that it was good.

My point is that only through a particular English translation is there an exact match in "gathering together" between Gen 1:10 and 1 Thess 2:1. This is not likely to take you very far in further understanding of either Gen 1:10 or 2 Thes 2:1

If you want to make comparisions, I would suggest looking at verses that use the same word in the same original language, and not necessarily where the English may exactly match by translational coincidence.

In 2 Thes 2:1 the Greek for gathering together is from episunagô . This word is used in various forms in the following verses.

2Th 2:1 Hbr 10:25 Mat 23:37 Mat 24:31 Mar 1:33 Mar 13:27 Luk 12:1 Luk 13:34

In Gen 1:10 the Hebrew word for gathering together is "miqveh" and is used in the following OTverses, but is only translated "gathering together" in Gen 1:10.

Gen 1:10 Exd 7:19 Lev 11:36 1Ki 10:28 1Ch 29:15 2Ch 1:16 Jer 14:8 Jer 17:13 Jer 50:7

Edited by Goey

Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and [by] our gathering together unto him,

One may want to note the it's our gathering together and not the gathering together.

There is no the gathering together.

But for each person there is a gathering together.

And only once or more then once for this individual?

Edited by dancing

Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and [by] our gathering together unto him,

One may want to note the it's our gathering together and not the gathering together.

There is no the gathering together.

But for each person there is a gathering together.

And only once or more then once for this individual?

Dancing,

It seems to me that you are splitting hairs with language, specifically articles in the English, to make whatever point it is you are trying to make.

The use of "our" in regards to something does not necessarily preclude the

use of "the" in regards to that same thing.

For example: You and I could host a party for everyone at GS on July 1. We could

bill it as a the party of the year - a big hoopla. We could call it "our" party since

you and I put it together. --- Other GSer's when speaking among themselves

might also refer to it as "our" party, since is it for them. But they could also

legitimately refer to it as "the" party.

Q: What party?

A: The party for Gsers that Dancing and Goey put together.

There is no rule of language would prevent someone from asking another, "Hey are you going to the party?"

Edited by Goey

Goey

No not splitting hairs just pointing out that it could be our gathering together for each individual and not necessarily at the same time. The verse does not indicate or rule out that there could be more then one gathering together. In other words it does not say that it is a one time deal for everyone at the same time.

Apparently our gathering together means something to each one these people. whether or not it's one for all and all at the same time is not specified. That's what I'm pointing out.

Also by the same reading, the coming of the Lord, could be seen in the same sense, even though it says "the" and not "a".

It is not specified either way like our gathering together.

Like when we get our paycheck it may not be the same amount or the same day, and there could also be more paychecks to come. Much like your illustration.

So I understand what you are saying and not putting it in one way or the other but to see that there are other possibilties.

Edited by dancing